Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill? page 3

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    He did say "especially" the white potatoes in the OP. Warmbear? Have you tried sweet potatoes or yams against the white spuds to compare?
    Another issue could also be the skins on the white potatoes. White potato skins are mildly toxic while sweet potato skins aren't. Plus, a lot of people leave their white potato skins on (because they're delicious!) and take off their sweet potato skins (because they taste like a leather catcher's mitt!). It could be the glycoalkaloids in the white potato skin.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yes PB sorry, you are so right. Im just sick of reading this BS. I just need to stay away from other threads.
    Bowing out.
    I think you should take 20 mins to actually read both links before being instantly dismissive. It's important to have a well-rounded viewpoint.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes PB sorry, you are so right. Im just sick of reading this BS. I just need to stay away from other threads.
    Bowing out.
    That was about both sides of the carb wars, not just you Ayla. FWIW, I agree with everything you said. Choco just does not get that his reality=/=universal reality.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I think you should take 20 mins to actually read both links before being instantly dismissive. It's important to have a well-rounded viewpoint.
    By which you mean she should agree with you instead of going with what works for her.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I do, I have tried your way, and it does NOT work for me. What part of that don't you get? I don't think reading an article is going to tell me what I don't know about my body.

That was about both sides of the carb wars, not just you Ayla. FWIW, I agree with everything you said. Choco just does not get that his reality=/=universal reality.
    OK thanks. No he does not get it.

Paleobird Guest
    Another issue could also be the skins on the white potatoes. White potato skins are mildly toxic while sweet potato skins aren't. It could be the glycoalkaloids in the white potato skin.
    A point made in the post by Dr Ede that I linked.

Please. This thread is about an illness when eating starch. The first reply is "carbohydrate intolerance." That is a ridiculous statement. Could you imagine if someone around here suggested a "meat intolerance?" Maybe you'll accept an allergy to eggs. Maybe an intolerance to fish or shellfish. But no one around here is going to accept an intolerance to all forms of animal protein - they are going to look for an underlying condition causing it.

The same thing holds true for "carbohydrate intolerance." It doesn't exist. If you an issue with all-form starch, there is an underlying condition, most likely a gut flora/intestinal permeability issue caused by something entirely different that must be corrected. You can't have it both ways.
    OK thanks. No he does not get it.
    I get it 100%. You're promoting a line of thinking. You're against simply eating whole foods - you have a paradigm, just like the overwhelming majority of people in the paleosphere with a product to push. I'm not saying you're pushing a product, but you clearly have an agenda. This is about eating whole foods, not adhering to a particular set of macronutrients. Ratios do not exist. They shouldn't exist.

If you feel better at 70% fat, it will likely be a temporary feeling. It'll pass once you become deficient in a nutrient(s) from the exclusionary dieting. Maybe it'll take 3 months. Maybe it'll take 3 years. Maybe you'll just age more quickly from the chronic state of gluconeogenesis. Maybe you'll develop food intolerances and be unable to digest any fruit or starch in a few years because your gut flora will begin to die off. Maybe you'll become hypothyroid. Maybe you'll develop aches and pains from a buildup of too much unsaturated fat in your tissues. Your amazing feeling could be because:

1.) You're bypassing a broken metabolic pathway and you're feeling better running on "backup."
    2.) You're actually in a state of chronic stress, which is elevating your adrenaline and serotonin, leading to a "high" feeling.

A lot of people feel like this when they first go low carb paleo...and it is temporary. It happened to me. All I'm saying is be careful and do your best to vary your diet. We're made to eat a bit of everything (as we're opportunistic omnivores), so dieting outside of that realm can be problematic unless you're very careful.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-13-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    So everyone who feels best in ketosis has something wrong with them? OK, thanks for letting us know.

So everyone who feels best in ketosis has something wrong with them? OK, thanks for letting us know.
    Yes this.
    Seriously Chaco? Seriously. Honestly this is BS and right now I am fuming. I shouldn't care what you think, I don't know you from a bar of soap. But PLEASE PLEASE do NOT tell me that what I am doing is not right, as I know it is right for ME!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast