Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill? page 10

janie is offline Senior Member
    Except there are many of us who have eaten LC for a long, long time and feel great on it. Not an initial reaction as you say and no degenerative effects -- in fact, this older woman is way, way better off. I'm thinking that this may be true for many women (some who have said so repeatedly here) and that you guys just don't want to grasp what works for our bodies.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I al so suspect that the amount of carbs you work best with depends on your activity level. Too low and I flag at work, too high and I get fat. I really dont measure how much I am eating but I do try to get 2/3 of every plate filled with veggies and a some fruit for afters.

my wife loves avacados so she can have mine. I keep trying them but they taste truly awful to me and if you have not figured out that I am a very strange person yet, you just aint been payin attention.

Fact is I have issues with the taste of most veggies. I think them and most fruit tastes gross. Getting enough veggies to eat is hard.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I al so suspect that the amount of carbs you work best with depends on your activity level. Too low and I flag at work, too high and I get fat. I really dont measure how much I am eating but I do try to get 2/3 of every plate filled with veggies and a some fruit for afters.

my wife loves avacados so she can have mine. I keep trying them but they taste truly awful to me and if you have not figured out that I am a very strange person yet, you just aint been payin attention.

Fact is I have issues with the taste of most veggies. I think them and most fruit tastes gross. Getting enough veggies to eat is hard.

This! carb load is dictated by activity level. Nuff said really. We could go back and forth posting things like this Glucose Hysteresis as a Mechanism in Dietary Restriction, Aging and Disease but there's a tit for every tat in the debate so its fairly useless. The concept that either glucose or fat is a preferred fuel source is an oversimplification. Your body will preferentially burn fat at rest and up to 70% of you max heart. Over that you'll preferentially burn glucose. Some body parts burn fat predominantly or respond very well to ketones as a fuel while others prefer glucose and only partial displacement by ketones.

The fact is that you spend most your time in a state of low to mid level activity that fat can fuel quite well. The problem with going into all this is that people want an either/or solution, or have latched on to some new ideas and won't accept the wide variety of diets humans can readily adapt to and thrive on. Since hundreds of healthy human societies for thousands of years have thrived on low carb it is quite obvious we are well adapted to it (far more societies than just the Inuit as some would have you believe). Likewise, you can find healthy human societies that thrive on a higher carbohydrate load. So the only thing you can say for certain is that humans are perhaps born with the capacity to thrive in either environment.

So now enters our diseases of civilization. That is where it gets hairy. Those with autoimmune disorders, neurological, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, lipid dysfunction, thyroid problems, athletes and other extremes fall here too....and on and on. For each of these snowflakes it behooves them to do the N=1 necessary to find their optimum. The history of humans shows what we are capable of living well on.....picking what works best for you current condition and recognizing that it has evolutionary precedent is liberating! Low carb is perfectly safe and healthy and has precedent as a diet our ancestors thrived on. So do certain carb sources obviously so athletes or certain conditions or relatively healthy individuals obviously have that option available to them.

Damn, I went and let myself post this crap.....oh well
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-16-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was doing CrossFit last year at under 50 g of a carb a day. I never crashed.
    So yeah.
    Right now I am only walking every day, so yes that could work on that. But how do you explain being able to do CF 5 days a week on under 50 g of a carbs a day?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910