Thread: My first sprints page

Jack is offline Junior Member

My first sprints

Shop Now
    I bought Mark's book over Christmas and was converted to his point of view and had been avidly reading info on this web site as well. I had been on reduced grain diet since a running course in May but not cut them out completely.

Anyway I had started on the four lift heavy things exercises but not the sprints. So on a cold Sunday morning I had a go.
    I warmed up for 7 minutes round the perimeter of a field and then did seven sprints of about 100 yards. Approximately 17 seconds for the distance.
    Using a heart rate monitor to measure my maximum heart rate, I was surprised to get a reading of 207, which makes sense as on a run my HR is 150-165. My resting pulse is 37 so I have a large range.
    I think the max will come down a little when I repeat these sprints over the weeks, but I have not really sprinted like this ever so room for improvement there.

So much for the much published method of 207-0.7 x your age, which would have been 172.

I did the calcs to determine threshold level as follows.
    207-37=180 which is the working range.
    Then 2/3 of the working range is 120
    so the threshold to exercise over for benefits is 37+120=157. Which again all ties in with previous readings.

I ran a 5k (5.173Km actually) last Thursday, a handicap race at the running club and my time was 21'35", which was 3 seconds slower than my feeble best as I have had chronic injuries for the past three years and stopped running last May.
    I had been seeing a physio for two months before Christmas and she was encouraging me to do walk then run for five minutes each over a few miles to stress my legs. So this was the first time I had actually ran any distance since last May.
    Quite impressive in the circumstances. I was last after 200 yards as my lace came undone, and then overtook a lot of people to finish 10th.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Your max heartrate should actually probably not come down too much in the future. As you increase your endurance, strength, and speed, you continue to push your body to its limit, which means you should be maxing yourself out when you do sprint workouts. You'll get faster, but you are still trying to push as hard as you can.

And holy crap!?! 37 for a resting heartrate! Wow!