Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Paleo in Denver is very expensive.....until now! page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

Being Paleo in Denver is very expensive.....until now!

Shop Now
    Moving from Houston to Denver has been a wonderful thing in all facets except one thing....the price of meat/produce here is crazy! Because I eat allot of food it has hurt what I usually eat as I am more of a beef/pork/lamb person w/ lots of produce. Denver grocery stores have very high prices on what my family eats...even started shopping at Wallmart but still very expensive. No matter what I eat Paleo so it was starting to bother me how much I was spending on the food I love to eat.

Found Costco close to home and it saved my meat cravings as meat is almost half the price there. Now I purchased a whole loin and had to cut it myself but to be honest that was fun. Have a Foodsaver and deep freeze so bulk purchases are just fine in my house.

Also produce here is crazy as well but I found a huge Asian market called H-Mart and produce is super reasonable there as well. Example is bell peppers as most stores 1$/pepper it is 1$/lbs at H Mart so vs traditional places here that are giving NY city prices on food I beat the system and back into not feeling guilty about all the meat I eat and how it affects the pocket book! Also being an Asian market it is super fun with new things and with the internet just buy it and take it home and have fun!

If you are not going for the whole Organic thing and are a bit price sensitive living in the Denver area I urge people to check out this combo of fantastic places!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Sprouts has great deals on produce
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I typically buy up whatever deals Sprouts (and very occasionally Whole Foods) has going on. I'm not picky about food, so whatever organic veggies/meat/etc are on sale get stockpiled. Kind of like modern foraging--2 dozen eggs that have an expiration date of tomorrow? Challenge accepted!

...But I really need to buy a grass-fed cow and possibly a pig. Anyone want to go in on one here?

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Sprouts is ok and was where I was going but the produce/meat is way more than the combo I stated.

I have purchased a half cow with someone before and there is a challenge....cows are not made out of steak so you will have to adapt. It is not a bad thing at all but for some it might be an issue. I really enjoyed it and found the new cuts of meat really good and to be honest you really cannot beat the taste at all. Just make sure they pack it right as in vacuum seal it as depending on the size of the cow and the people eating it you might have to fight freezer burn.

Would love to go in with a pig but my freezer is now too stocked to fit it. A I cannot fathom how good a true heritage pig would taste!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I'll go in on part of a cow. I'll eat pretty much any part of any animal, so no worries there. And I've gotten to where I think beef that ISN'T grass-fed tastes weird. I'm actively working on clearing space to put in a chest freezer in anticipation of buying part of a cow/pig, and getting a deer or two and hopefully an elk next season.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Kind of like modern foraging--2 dozen eggs that have an expiration date of tomorrow? Challenge accepted!
    I found pastured eggs on sale at a high-end grocery recently (our local farms have either lost birds due to predators, or they're just not laying enough to have leftovers to sell, so I do my best finding good eggs at the store) and bought 4 dozen even though we couldn't possibly eat them all before the expiration date. The water test is absolutely priceless--just plop an egg in a cup of water, and see how it acts. If it stays sideways on the bottom of the glass, it's still quite fresh. If the bottom of the egg floats a bit, still good. If the whole thing floats, toss it. By the time we finished off the last dozen, it was nearly a month past expiry and there weren't any floaters.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I buy all our meat from local farms. Bison, yak and beef (all pasture raised organic) is $6/lb when you buy half an animal. Pork and lamb are lots more but both excellent also. If any of you need some local meat leads PM me.

I used to get lots of produce from Sun Flower market but the prices have gone way up there after Sprouts bought them out. I love the Costco produce. Mostly organic and high quality.

Albertsons has some great seafood at least in the summer (rarely go there). Last summer I stocked up on wild caught Alaskan salmon that was fresh (never frozen) for like $7/lb.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    H Mart is great. Make sure you check out the coolers of meat and seafood in the back. Dozens of types of whole fish, sushi grade fish, all kinds of cuts of frozen squid... You can even buy whole pig or sheep heads and a big jug of blood (if you're into that sort of thing.) All kinds of organs including duck livers for about $2. This week I cooked squid rings and frogs legs from there. They also have whole rabbits for about $6, that might be next. It is also a good place to get chicken feet for making stock. Check out the tea section also, lots of variety and very affordable. They also have at least 10 types of bok choi.

janetboye is offline Junior Member
    i will do it, buying part of a cow/pig, and getting a deer or two and hopefully an elk next season.thank you

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Having problems PMing, so I'll list some of my meat sources here. I just got a pig and a lamb through Grant Farms. They have a CSA and local pick up points in the summer for produce and some meat. I got yak from Hey Hey Yak Ranch. Really good stuff - much like beef - maybe a little gamier but really good. They Yak guy is friends with the guy we get bison from - so if you want bison... Sorry, my bison is burried under pork beef and salmon at the moment I'll post who it is as soon as I pull a package out. I also, need to get my friend's e-mail again who I get beef from (our kids go to school together). They have a little beef left and may send another to butcher in the spring.

It would be great if others post their finds here also!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast