Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Code by Chris Kresser???? page

Paleo Code by Chris Kresser????

Shop Now
    Have any of you purchased the Paleo Code by Chris Kresser?
    I'm in GREAT need. I'm gaining weight even though I eat Paleo.
    I'm hoping to find some answers.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Getting a new book isn't going to help. You should take a look at what you're eating and what your workout routine is like first. Have you been tracking your food?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

The Paleo Code is a "program" on Chris Kresser's website. You answer questions to figure out what is going on.

I have an auto-immune disorder and a number of foods make me very sick.
    I DO NOT eat Gluten, Any Grains, Night Shade Veggies: Potaotes, bell peppers, eggplant, jalepenos, ect..., Dairy in any form bothers me, high sugar raises my blood sugar, nuts more than condiment size cause problems too.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, diabetes, pcos, and peripheral neuropathy.
    I lost 65 pounds very quickly going low carb paleo style but it threw off my thyroid function. I was losing handfulls of hair, my eyebrows, freezing cold even though I live in sunny warm Florida. I added in some carbs and that stopped the symptoms but then I started gaining weight and HAVEN'T STOPPED!!!! I've almost gained all of the weight I lost back.

I did add in some non paleo foods that I have shunned now. I added in corn, beans, and peanutbutter. These foods are no longer in my eating plan.

I need some help.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I am not familiar with Paleo Code but I also deal with hypothyroidism and diabetes (type 1). I tried low carb and it only made my thyroid issues worse. I (like you) added in some carbs and my symptoms lessened.

I recently found a new doctor that put me on Armour thyroid. It has helped a lot but if I want weight loss I have to eat a little less fat and more carbs and protein. I am also in the gym either running, doing sprints or lifting heavy a bout 5x a week so I can handle the carbs.

Have you had lab work done recently? How often to you exercise?
    I know from experience that it can be so frustrating when dealing with hypothyroidism and diabetes and weight gain! Hang in there!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    He's a smart guy so it couldn't hurt. Not sure how much the program costs, but if you can afford it maybe it's worth a try.

Another thought may be to see a primal/paleo physician:
    Primal Docs - Physicians with an evolutionary approach to health and nutrition
    Paleo Physicians Network

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquelymade View Post
    Have any of you purchased the Paleo Code by Chris Kresser?
    I'm in GREAT need. I'm gaining weight even though I eat Paleo.
    I'm hoping to find some answers.
    If you're gaining weight eating paleo, you're simply consuming more calories than you were in the SAD. I'm guessing you moved toward fattier cuts of meat and you're adding extra fat to things? Remember, fat is extremely calorically dense - more than twice as dense as carbohydrate. Even when eating a high carbohydrate diet, it is typically the fat being stored as fat on your body since carbohydrate (and protein) is not directly stored as body fat.

Reduce the amount of added fat (I probably use less than a tablespoon of added fat a day), but leaner cuts of meat, or simply eat less and exercise more. Also, remember than carbohydrate is just as paleo as fat and protein - eat a mix of both, and choose nutrient-dense foods that keep you fullest longest.

Paleo is phenomenal for health no doubt, but weight loss is entirely caloric.

If you are hypothyroid and have diabetes, you may want to give Danny Roddy's blog a read. He is very smart. After much research and self-experimentation, I don't believe carbohydrate (or sugar) has ANYTHING at all to do with diabetes. Rather, diabetes is a stress-releated disease: too much unsaturated fat (particularly refined linoleic seed oils), too many chemicals and preservatives, too low thyroid, too high cortisol/adrenaline/estrogen/serotonin. IMO, he's on the cutting edge of health research. Check out his "Becoming Stress Proof" series.

I've made great strides in my health by eating more beef and lamb instead of chicken and pork, reducing the amount of added fats and fattier meats for a lot more fruit and starch, adding gelatin to things and removing muscle meat for quality dairy.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-13-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquelymade View Post
    I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, diabetes, pcos, and peripheral neuropathy.
    I lost 65 pounds very quickly going low carb paleo style but it threw off my thyroid function. I was losing handfulls of hair, my eyebrows, freezing cold even though I live in sunny warm Florida. I added in some carbs and that stopped the symptoms but then I started gaining weight and HAVEN'T STOPPED!!!! I've almost gained all of the weight I lost back.
    Today must be my day to agree with choco

I think you're gaining weight because you're eating too much.

But more importantly, you should get your thyroid fixed. Are you taking any supplements to help? Iodine? Selenium?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I'd take Chris Kresser's advice over Danny Roddy's.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I'd take Chris Kresser's advice over Danny Roddy's.
    The issue with weight loss is entirely caloric.

The issue with diabetes is stress.

It's not even worth arguing the former. You cannot lose weight without an energy deficit. It is a scientific law.

Danny does a very comprehensive writeup on stress - much more than Chris Kresser. If you don't want to hear it from Danny, than hear it from Chris.

9 Steps to Perfect Health – #6: Manage Your Stress

Danny goes into much, much, much more detail and gives you details on how to manage it rather than just generics. Ultimately, they're saying the same thing - minimize stress. Logic follows:

1.) Degenerative diseases are a result of inflammation.
    2.) Inflammation is caused by stressors
    3.) You can't have inflammation without stress, so you can't have degenerative disease without stress.

Minimize stress and you minimize risk of disease.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast