Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gaining weight, don't know why... page

frenchie79 is offline Member

gaining weight, don't know why...

Primal Fuel
    I have been gaining weight recently... I am 5'7" and I was 125 lbs before I started PB and I stayed at that weight for 18 months. Now I am gaining weight, and my clothes don't fit. When I found out I had gained 10 lbs on Dec 28th, I started to count carbs again right away. I have been having 50 to 80 g a day for the last 18 days and I still gained 5 lbs. I am fasting 12 -13 hours a day. What is wrong with me? Has this ever happened to you?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Maybe you are eating too much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    if you r female, could you be pregnant?
    are you exercising? maybe you are gaining bone and muscle mass.
    even good food can be overeaten, try tracking your intake on fitday or similar site.
    good luck!

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    How long had it been before Dec. 28th that you had weighed yourself.... meaning how long do you think it took to gain the 10lbs?
    Is there anything besides weight gain that's new such as low energy, joint pain... etc?

Did you eat foods wheat or other non paleo foods during the holidays? Wheat can be very detrimental to the thyroid, especially to those with hashimotos. Soy is too, it suppresses it.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    If you are 5'7 and 125 lbs, maybe you needed to gain some weight? Are you eating more calories?

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Also, stop fasting.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    If you are 5'7 and 125 lbs, maybe you needed to gain some weight? Are you eating more calories?
    +1 My DH is 5'8" and 135lbs and skinny.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Didn't think about that!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    I think 130 lbs is good at 5'7". Perhaps your body likes where its at.

Also realize that calories actually do come into play. What I have observed is that on very low carbs, most obese people will continue to lose weight until they are just a little overweight. And the reason why is because with the reduced carbs, they end up eating a lot less calories.

However, once they get almost to more normal weights, low carbs alone isn't enough to lose more weight. I think one of the reasons is because when you lose weight your metabolism decreases. Also, with a leaner body leptin will be more likely to be low, which decreases the metabolism even further, and we can also note that carbs is the macronutrient that is most likely to raise leptin levels.

So from all of that, what I can summarize is that calories actually do count and when you're already lean cutting carbs real low isn't exactly going to be a magic bullet for fat loss, nor is it necessary and it might even do more harm than good.

Take note that if you eat all the fruits and vegetables you want, you're probably not going to go over 150 grams of carbs per day. So if you do that, it shouldn't be a problem. Additionally, it would help give you a lot of energy if you wanted to be more active.

And aside from that, you always have the option of reducing unnecessary extra fats in your diet. Realize that wild game is usually lean, unless you're living in the arctic regions, and hunter gatherers wouldn't have had access to foods such as olive oil and cheese. So the idea isn't to actually cut out all the fats, no. But instead, cut down on all the unnecessary and extra fats that you add in just for flavor.

Start out by cutting out cooking oils, extra oils for flavor such as olive oil, cheese, etc.. And if that isn't enough, go for leaner meats such as fish. Heck, the fats in fish are better for you anyways.

frenchie79 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks for all the answers!

I cannot get pregnant, I made sure (surgically) it would not happen again. This morning I felt terrible (like FAT) and I weighed myself. 142 lbs, 5 lbs more than 2 days ago... I freaked out! I even bought a pregnancy test.... negative! I still look 4 months pregnant though...

I have banned soy 18 months ago and my thyroid my checked in August, everything is fine. I have been doing fit day since Dec 28th. I stopped shift working 14 months ago, lot less walking in my new job.

Now I have been thinking about this all day and after a little bit of google, I found out that Wellbutrin could be the cause. I started taking it in the fall. The drug is mostly known for not making people gain weight but apparently in 17 to 22 % of patients, it does make them gain weight.

Bye bye wellbutrin. Not working anyway! The only difference is my appetite. I am so hungry!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast