Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: gaining weight, don't know why... page 5

BklynGirl is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Despite what everyone's said about you now being at healthy weight and BMI (which is true), I completely understand why you're upset. I was in a similar situation this year, though not as drastic. I too am about 5'7 (a little under) and weighed about 136 lbs in May of 2012. I got a summer job that meant I way more sedentary than usual, plus I was stressed out and going to bed late. In August I was 139 lbs. The weird part came after: I gained about 10 lbs seemingly out of nowhere between August and December, and I have no idea why.

At this point I've stopped caring about the reason and have started focusing on losing it, and it's coming off little by little. I've realized that, while I think primal is an excellent way of life, if you're cutting calories you can't blindly eat tons of meat and fat to your heart's content--I've been going with some leaner choices, while still getting some good, healthy fats, and it's been working. I've also been fasting 16 hours, sometimes a little more, about 4 times a week, and that's worked. Plus, it makes it easier to reduce calories. I lift about 3 times a week and do sprints or quick, high-intensity cardio twice a week (plus some light jogging).

If I were you, I would ask a doctor. I love my doctor even though I frequently disagree with her nutrition suggestions, and getting blood work (have you checked your thyroid?) could be helpful.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie79
    Anyways... I lost 5 lbs, kept them off for 2 weeks, then we had a gala dinner Saturday so I ate what was on my plate. The 5 lbs are back of course. Only one meal!
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    If you've gained 5lbs from one meal then this is clearly not fat, and is most probably water retention.
    This, plus the actual weight of the food and liquids you've ingested. I can "gain" 2lbs in the course of my gym session alone from just drinking water...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Same thing happened to me, I went from low 120 to low 130'ies after I stopped artificially limiting calories to keep the weight down. The weight came on like a storm, and seem to be stabilizing now (though still wants to go up).

I don't like how I look now, but I sleep nights, don't live in a permanent state of HUNGRY (and actually experience full feeling every day), don't get afraid of any natural foods in any quantity and don't feel exhausted from low carbing and carb cycling. I think it was some sort of a biological shift since I am in my late thirties.

I held 115-125 range before my baby was born, and it was an effort, but not as insane an effort as it was to lose post-pg weight and keep it down for 3 years.

I am waiting to see if my body will settle into a muscle growing mode now that I have a bit more padding on, as before it plain refused to do it. If not, well, I will have to think of myself as voluptuous. I don't think I have what it takes to eat meat and spinach only and fast and not being able to sleep in order to reduce weight back to 120.

I gain 3-4 lbs every weekend, and lose it throughout the week. I don't eat that much more, but the weight gains are acute in the low weight range, I think. I found that salt and fat are big 'retainers' for me. It is pretty much guaranteed to jump if I ate salt fish, roast chicken or any pork. Some bloaters, like cabbages and whey do that too.

Jillian Michaels attributes acute weight gains like that to screwed hormones in her book "Making the Cut", and recommends all natural and organic, which we are already doing.... She thinks endocrinologist can spot it.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^I understand, and you know your body best.... seriously though 15% bf is quite low. As an x-vegetarian you may be judging yourself rather harshly.
    I would question the method for measuring BF %. I am also a 5'7" female and I know that I would have to get down to 118-120 to have bf that low. At 125 I am around 20%. I understand there are differences based on LBM but my guess would be she is using calipers at home which can give really low numbers sometimes. From her descriptions of herself I would say we are about the same. I'm pretty unsatisfied with my body at anything over 130 and moderately unsatisfied over 125. NOBODY would look at me and say that I'm too thin.

I don't know what is going on for the OP that is causing the weight gain, but pretending that she was underweight and probably just needed to put on some fat to be healthy is way off. The "healthy" weight range is ridiculous. I can gain 30 pounds of pure fat and remain in the "healthy" range and I'm currently already at 24% BF. That would NOT be healthy.
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 02-20-2013 at 10:40 AM.

frenchie79 is offline Member
    thanks everyone for the comments. I am seeing my doc next week but I know that she is really into CW... she is very overweight herself and she eats a SAD diet (we work at the same hospital). I will ask for b/w: tsh, t3, t4, hormones... I know that until recently everything was normal... maybe it has changed.

Paleomom: I used both calipers and a scale that calculated bf. A relative is into bodybuilding and she told me that the calipers were more accurate. There was not much difference between the calipers and the scale. What do you use to calculate your bf%?

I did get the "you are too skinny" comment once in a while, but I suspect the other person was either jealous or just attracted to curvy chicks.

yes I do have a stressful life and I am not as active as I used to be. I stopped doing shift work in November '11 and I started working in the community (read: desk job).
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You sound like someone with a lot of muscular mass or not carrying a lot of fat on the lower body (or anywhere for that matter). I am 5'6" and 1/2" (169 cm), and my body fat was 18% on the scale, ~ 22% from 3 measurements at the weight of 116-118 lbs, and people would estimate 25% from a picture. I am ~132 lbs now, and the scale measures me on 22%, and I am too vulnerable to take inches, but I would guess 25-30%. The bio-impedance goes through the thighs, and I have epic ones to impress even Cathelyn Stark....

To be honest, I would sell my soul to be 15%.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

marymac is offline Junior Member
    Are you able to switch doctors? If you and her aren't on the same page with respect to basic nutrition, you would likely be best served with a more open-minded physician.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Hiya frenchie!

I'm also 5'7" and I currently weigh in at 128. I'd like to get down to 125-ish, but admittedly, i'm not putting in a TON of effort.

1. I do think the medication is playing a roll. Everyone I know who used it has gained weight, no matter if it's only 17-22% in terms of reporting. So, increasing vitamin D and moving away from the medication will help. (lexipro and that family are worse, though -- so don't go for those!)

2. I am currently eating around 1500 calories per day and fasting 14-16 hr day-fasts. I haven't had any trouble from it.

3. For me, the last weight gain I had was when i was "less primal" -- ie, more dairy, more likely to sneak in "treats" and the like. Even if it was 20% (or less) -- it was still too much!

My diet is currently:

3 eggs in butter and green juice (today is silver beet, rhubarb, celery, coriander, lemon, apple, ginger); 2-4 oz mince plus orange for lunch/snack (sometiems I'll have pepper instead of an orange); and then 5-8 oz fish, chicken, or steak plus BAS or steamed brocc/cauli.

4. When I get good sleep -- I am glad you are finished with shift work because it's a doosy -- I tend to be healthier overall. My sleep has been *bad* the last two weeks, which hasn't been helpful. We also had a fish and chips night on Saturday -- we are both still feeling the negative effect of that. So, that's clearing this week.

5. movement -- i've added in pilates to help me with my postural patterning work (which has been phenominal overall), as well as doing my yoga, and walking. I decided to wait on my volume body-weight training because it just feels a bit overwhelming at hte moment, but I am making sure to walk more, too. I get about 1.5 hrs a day of walking on average -- fast paced for at least 1 hr of walking, the other half hour is usually my son's pace.

I find that movement and sleep make the biggest difference for me. If i'm eating clean, but i'm not getting enough sleep/movement, then i start to "gain" (or body comp changes). If I am not eating clean, but exercising/sleeping -- same deal. When I have all three working well, then a little ice cream once a month or a piece of cake or something doesn't do me any harm at all!

So, i'm currently working on *sleep!*

frenchie79 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    You sound like someone with a lot of muscular mass or not carrying a lot of fat on the lower body (or anywhere for that matter). I am 5'6" and 1/2" (169 cm), and my body fat was 18% on the scale, ~ 22% from 3 measurements at the weight of 116-118 lbs, and people would estimate 25% from a picture. I am ~132 lbs now, and the scale measures me on 22%, and I am too vulnerable to take inches, but I would guess 25-30%. The bio-impedance goes through the thighs, and I have epic ones to impress even Cathelyn Stark....

To be honest, I would sell my soul to be 15%.

I am starting to think that my bf measurements were off.

Finding a new doc? Hard thing to do in Canada... when you can find one, you keep it! lol I will have to find a new doc this summer because we are moving back to the east coast. Hopefully I find a good one!

thanks again guys and girls for your help, I really need it right now!

So far I am staying off the meds... I feel less bloated without them, I think water retention played a big role.
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie79 View Post
    Paleomom: I used both calipers and a scale that calculated bf. A relative is into bodybuilding and she told me that the calipers were more accurate. There was not much difference between the calipers and the scale. What do you use to calculate your bf%?
    I had it tested in a BodPod at 24%, at the same time period calipers were saying 13-15%. Looking in the mirror vs. other pictures of people at certain percentages I would say the BodPod was pretty accurate and the calipers were WAY off.

My point wasn't to get into what your BF% is, just to back up your feelings of wanting to get back down to where you were as not being unhealthy for someone of our height.

I was about 127 when I started primal several years ago. At first I dropped to 123 and then slowly have gained, my highest was 141. This has done wonders for my health, but I think that after my body recovered from being low fat for so long I started eating way too many calories in general, easy to do when I was focused on adding healthy fats into all my food (which i very much needed for awhile). I don't have the answer, I'm currently stuck around 134. I do know now though that I was eating just too much fat, and I don't think I was digesting food as well as I thought which led to leaky gut/candida = poor nutrient absorption = increased appetite to try and meet nutrient needs = fat gain. In just the last few weeks I have really improved these things and I'm hopeful that will lead to some fat loss, however at this point I have little success to report.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast