Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metabolic issues plus kerogen if diet = I get my carbs back? page

AshleyL is offline Senior Member

Metabolic issues plus kerogen if diet = I get my carbs back?

Primal Fuel
    I'm wondeing how many people with insulin resistance, like fairly bad insulin resistance have gone low carb or ketogenic for a few months and found they could go back to a more normal carb range with healthy real food sources sans grains and keep good sugar metabolism function? I feel great ketogenic, so so so many problems gone, but I'd like to be able to eat potatoes again some day. By summer I'd like to enjoy watermelon and such from my garden. My body just hurts on carbs. The more carbs, the more hurt.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    My thought is... If you feel great the way you are eating now, why would you risk that just to gain a few things back that perhaps your body is trying to tell you it doesn't want or need? I'm not saying that you need to be in ketosis for your entire life, but if carbs make you "hurt" as you say, then maybe reintroducing them should be a REALLY gradual process. Start with some berries, then move to maybe an apple a day, if all goes well, try out some squash... But just be aware that your body might be trying to tell you that it likes how you are approaching your diet already and no change is warranted.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    perhaps your body is trying to tell you it doesn't want or need?
    Come on now...

Anyway, AshleyL, I suggest reading: Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Come on now...

Anyway, AshleyL, I suggest reading: Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context
    I don't suppose you're going to suggest that her issues with carbs is related to gut issues as you've suggested with practically everyone else who has any sort of even SLIGHTLY adverse reaction to them?

Eh, Peat thinks that sugar solves everything. I say, if she feels great, let her feel that way and don't try to tell her everything is wrong and she NEEDS to do anything different. In this context, pushing things too early could lead to potentially disastrous results anyway. I, personally, would never recommended throwing sugar at the diabetes fire, even in the form of fruits.

She can reintroduce if she wants, I'm just saying that if she has a bad reaction, maybe it's not in her best interest. Diabetes is not in ANY way a form of "carb avoidance" so one should never foist it off as that.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I don't suppose you're going to suggest that her issues with carbs is related to gut issues as you've suggested with practically everyone else who has any sort of even SLIGHTLY adverse reaction to them?

Eh, Peat thinks that sugar solves everything. I say, if she feels great, let her feel that way and don't try to tell her everything is wrong and she NEEDS to do anything different. In this context, pushing things too early could lead to potentially disastrous results anyway. I, personally, would never recommended throwing sugar at the diabetes fire, even in the form of fruits.

She can reintroduce if she wants, I'm just saying that if she has a bad reaction, maybe it's not in her best interest. Diabetes is not in ANY way a form of "carb avoidance" so one should never foist it off as that.
    Not sure I've actually done that, or worded it as "gut issues", but no.

I linked Peat so she can read an alternative point of view and understand more herself what her issues may be. He words things in much greater detail.

Hyperglycemia is often interpreted as diabetes. Understand that the degenerative issues are only indirectly related to insulin. I stated in another post that insulin only plays a minor role in what is seen as insulin activity.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You may be able to again some day. For now keep up the good work! Recognize that the way your eating is completely healthy and sustainable. Give yourself time to heal.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I find that I do best at about 20g carbs a day, and when I try to go higher, I have 'problems.' My body seems to thrive low carb, and I really enjoy this WOE, so I don't worry about 'adding carbs.'

However, the way to do it is to add one food at a time, and in small increments. Give it at least a week to see how you respond. For many people, the issue isn't the actual carb level but the foods involved.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    I'm wondeing how many people with insulin resistance, like fairly bad insulin resistance have gone low carb or ketogenic for a few months and found they could go back to a more normal carb range with healthy real food sources sans grains and keep good sugar metabolism function?
    Steve Cooksey is the only one I'm aware of, but I believe he puts a heavy emphasis on resistance training as well. He posted about a home OGTT he did (why not official?) where he produced a fairly normal response, but apparently he won't be adding carbohydrates back to his diet.

If low carb actually restored insulin sensitivity in general, we'd probably read more "Finally, I can eat potatoes after ten years!" than "I don't eat onions because of the glucose spike".

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Sorry about the darn autocorrect! Grrr Anyway, I plan to stay this way until I lose the rest of my weight and run my 10k march 3rd. Was hoping I could eat the occasional potato or apple after that ha! I expect, comi g out of ketosis for blood sugar to be funky at first, but wonder if it levels out after that. I've never been a junk food perso , never had a weakness for sweets, but I do love fruit. Not that this diet is so hard, it has its perks. But mostly when I'm around people it's a bummer as I'm the one who can't eat anything. Some people are so stupid they get ticked when you can't eat their food. Jerks. But y'all know how that goes. I wish they could have some physical pain from eating that stuff for a while and see what it's like.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    If low carb actually restored insulin sensitivity in general, we'd probably read more "Finally, I can eat potatoes after ten years!" than "I don't eat onions because of the glucose spike".
    Funny you say that....I seem to see a lot of x-low carbers (who after losing a bunch of weight) added potatoes back to the diet. Heck lots of em even have blogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast