Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone taking colostrum? My experience thus far page

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member

Anyone taking colostrum? My experience thus far

Primal Fuel
    I started supplementing with colostrum about a week ago in an effort to help heal my leaky gut. All of the things that I've read about it are so promising, but it almost sounds to good to be true.

I'm taking the Mt. Capra brand, because I wanted to use goat colostrum (closer to human colostrum) instead of bovine. I jumped right in w/the recommended dose of 4 capsules a day, split into 2 doses. The first night I woke up with the worst migraine I'd ever had. It lasted for 7 hours. It felt like someone had whacked me in the temple with a baseball bat. That afternoon at work, I felt like I was getting the flu. I felt completely out of it, and nauseous to the point of rushing to the bathroom, just in case I was going to lose my lunch (thankfully I didn't). I thought I was getting sick. The next night I woke up with yet another migraine, though it wasn't as bad as the first one. I realized that all of this had started when I started taking the colostrum. I did some Googling and came to the conclusion that I was experiencing die-off. I have suspected for awhile now that I have candida overgrowth, but no amount of coconut oil, GSE, or natural anti-fungals have ever caused me to experience die-off. After putting two and two together, I had never been so happy about feeling so bad! Finally, something is WORKING!

I pulled back the dose and have been slowly increasing. I'm up to 3 daily now w/no adverse effects, and will continue up to the therapeutic dose.

One benefit that I've noticed already is that my tinnitus has stopped! It started after I was given Vicodin after knee surgery last year, and has sometimes gotten better or worse, but never gone away completely. Now it's quiet inside my head (except for the voices, of course!).

In addition to helping w/the leaky gut, I'm also hoping that the knee that I had arthroscopy on last year will finally get back to normal. It's just never felt right since, even though it was supposed to be a relatively minor procedure, after which the doctor claimed I would be back to sprinting in 3-4 weeks. Ha! I've also been taking Great Lakes gelatin and homemade bone broth for a long time now, but haven't seen much improvement from it.

I've also read of people experiencing clearing of their melasma (dark pigmented spots on the face) after supplementing with high doses of colostrum. I've been dealing with ever-spreading melasma for 10 years now, so any improvement on that front would be welcome. I always suspected that it was due to something "off" internally. Perhaps in me it's linked to leaky gut and candida (which I realize now I've had at least some symptoms of for a long time).

So, anyone else have any experience with colostrum?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    No, but now I'm intrigued.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Happy Paleo Girl, Are you still taking the colostrum? I just got mine in today. What are your results to date?

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Happy Paleo Girl, Are you still taking the colostrum? I just got mine in today. What are your results to date?
    Hi brookesam. Yes, I'm still taking it. I switched from goat colostrum in capsules to powdered bovine colostrum. It was just more economical for the amount that I'm taking. No more die off symptoms. Actually, I haven't noticed much change since I began taking it. My knee is still giving me issues, and the melasma looks the same (although I read on the melasma forum that it can take a minimum of 3 months to see results, so I am sticking with it). I did a hardcore workout after not having worked out in months and expected to be insanely sore for about a week afterwards. I had some slight soreness, but that was it! Colostrum is supposed to aid in muscle recovery. I've also been supplementing with Glutamine, which also helps with muscle soreness, so I'm not sure which one played a larger role, or if perhaps it was the combination.

I'm going to stick with it, as I feel like it's doing some good.

Did you buy colostrum for a particular reason? What benefits are you hoping to get from it? Also, what kind did you get?
    This is the one that I'm currently taking, which is from grass-fed cows:
    Symbiotics, Colostrum Plus, Powder, 21 oz (595.3 g) - iHerb.com
    Because I've got some specific issues I'm looking for it to help with, I'm supplementing with more than is called for - 3 grams, 3 times a day on an empty stomach.

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Huh. Seems to me that freezedrying it would neutralize any possible benefits thereof. Try raw and from the source ...

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Huh. Seems to me that freezedrying it would neutralize any possible benefits thereof. Try raw and from the source ...
    Here's some info on it from the place I get mine. I would agree with you on the freeze drying.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Hi brookesam. Yes, I'm still taking it. I switched from goat colostrum in capsules to powdered bovine colostrum. It was just more economical for the amount that I'm taking. No more die off symptoms. Actually, I haven't noticed much change since I began taking it. My knee is still giving me issues, and the melasma looks the same (although I read on the melasma forum that it can take a minimum of 3 months to see results, so I am sticking with it). I did a hardcore workout after not having worked out in months and expected to be insanely sore for about a week afterwards. I had some slight soreness, but that was it! Colostrum is supposed to aid in muscle recovery. I've also been supplementing with Glutamine, which also helps with muscle soreness, so I'm not sure which one played a larger role, or if perhaps it was the combination.

I'm going to stick with it, as I feel like it's doing some good.

Did you buy colostrum for a particular reason? What benefits are you hoping to get from it? Also, what kind did you get?
    This is the one that I'm currently taking, which is from grass-fed cows:
    Symbiotics, Colostrum Plus, Powder, 21 oz (595.3 g) - iHerb.com
    Because I've got some specific issues I'm looking for it to help with, I'm supplementing with more than is called for - 3 grams, 3 times a day on an empty stomach.
    Thanks for your reply! I need help with muscle recovery from my workouts so that's a plus!

I bought the Mt Capra brand in the capsules. I've only taken 1 capsule 1st thing in the morning for 2 days now. I need to remember to take it 2x a day and go ahead and up it to 2 capsules.

I am taking it for leaky gut but mainly because I've been reading about Th1 and Th2 imbalance and autoimmune diseases. I have type 1 diabetes and looks as if Hashimoto's. Colostrum is supposed to help balance Th1 and Th2. Looks as if I am Th1 dominant.

Maxine 1234 is offline Junior Member

goat vs cow colostrum

Hi,

I am researching the best colostrum to buy. Looking at Cow vs Goat Colostrum and wondering which is better. The organic goat colostrum seems to come from the U.S. (Mt. Capra) and the organic Cow colostrum is coming from NZ. I have tried the chewable vanilla flavored tabs and liked the results, but am seeing that the purest form is in capsules. Any advice as to which one is better and why would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks. Max

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    DinoHunter recommended colostrum for my hives. I started it two or three days ago. I will report back on how well it works...
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Favorite Smoothies Recipes!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: Andrea, Random House Author; Tara, Digital Media Producer)

Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.- Karl Lagerfeld

Maxine 1234 is offline Junior Member
    Dear Paleo,
    Do you think the goat colostrum is better than the cow colostrum. Am seeing that the NZ organic cow colostrum is better because it is guaranteed from organic grass fed cows. No antibiotics. What is your experience with goat vs cow colostrum?

Thanks. Max

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast