Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-surgery swelling page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Post-surgery swelling

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had ACL reconstruction surgery 11 days ago. I'm doing very well - I'm diligent with my PT - but my leg is very swollen, especially in the calf and ankle/foot. My doc says it's normal, which is a relief, but it's still very uncomfortable. I was wondering if eating or avoiding certain foods would have an impact on post-op swelling. The answer might be no, but I figured that it couuldn't hurt to ask. I've been good at avoiding wheat, but rice is in my diet as a once in a while thing. The only thing I've been terrible about is ice cream - after my final round of PT for the day, I've been having Haagen Daz ice cream (vanilla and choc-choc chip). I know that dairy can be inflaming, but could it be affecting the post-op swelling? (Fingers crossed for "No, have your ice cream and once you're walking again, rein it in.")

Thanks in advance!

You could try taking Dandelion capsules. I've seen them help people with swelling.

Amazon.com: Nature's Way Dandelion Root , 525 mg, 100 Capsules: Health & Personal Care
    My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Thanks! I'll check that out.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Grains cause inflammation. Rice is grains. Ice cream is not only dairy, which is better avoided, ice cream is full of sugar!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    Grains cause inflammation. Rice is grains. Ice cream is not only dairy, which is better avoided, ice cream is full of sugar!
    I know - I didn't know whether these things also aggravated swelling that's not related to food.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the inflammation and swelling is actually an integral part to the healing process. Only time is gonna help sorry to say. Good luck with your rehab!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, the inflammation and swelling is actually an integral part to the healing process. Only time is gonna help sorry to say. Good luck with your rehab!
    Thanks - I had a feeling that even if I were 100% paleo, I would still have a very swollen leg. Even so, once I'm off crutches, I will rein in the ice cream. (Which could be as soon as tomorrow! Fingers crossed.)

Paleobird Guest
    There is a plant called Arnica that is available as capsules and also as a tea. This was recommended to me by a surgeon for post op swelling (by that I mean it is not some obscure herb some website is peddling). It actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There is a plant called Arnica that is available as capsules and also as a tea. This was recommended to me by a surgeon for post op swelling (by that I mean it is not some obscure herb some website is peddling). It actually works.
    You are a goddess. Thank you for sharing this!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    You are a goddess. Thank you for sharing this!
    Not a goddess, just someone who has had more than their fair share of being "under the knife".

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast