Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Step Closer to My Own Chickens! page

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member

One Step Closer to My Own Chickens!

I put up a quick post on my blog about our journey towrds raising our own chickens. It isn't nearly as difficult as I thought which is very encouraging. http://wakeupandsmellthedamncoffee.b...r-egg-mac.html

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Love the blog title!

Go for it, they are entertaining as well as productive little critters Are you thinking just eggs, or meat as well? I've only got one laying bird (plus one rooster and one ornamental giant feather duster) so mulling over more layers or some chicks to fatten up...

Fingers crossed there's nothing in your way

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Also, I see you're wanting to grow your own produce. Have you heard of permaculture? Let me try to rediscover a diagram I saw...... Imagine a large polytunnel. Down the middle is a walkway, only it's not - it's a series of wormeries / compost bins with nice thick walk-on-able lids. Now, standing on one of your wormeries, look towards the end of the polytunnel. There's a full height mesh "fence" a few feet from the end, and that section is itself split in two. On one of these end sections, your chickens are rooting around in freshly turned out compost, eating some of your worms, eating the weed seedlings, breaking up lumpy bits, and pooping everywhere. On the other side, your chickens have done their work and you're now ready to plant in a nice cultivated, rich, nutritious bed. Obviously the mesh "walls" stop the chickens munching your veggies! Rotate as appropriate

That's only one version, there are plenty more out there

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Chickens are so much fun! I read your blog posting, and Paul is right that it takes very little work to have urban chickens. I have three, and during the week it takes less than 5 minutes a day to take care of them, which basically consists of letting them out of their pen in the morning, locking them back in the evening, and collecting the eggs. Not work at all, simply fun. On weekends, I spend an additional 15 minutes or so cleaning out the hen house, filling their food container, and washing out their waterer and refilling it. Couldn't be any easier.

And they provide an endless source of entertainment. Last weekend I gave the chickens the beef back rib bones I'd used for making soup. They had a wonderful time pecking away at the scraps of meat and tendons left on the bones. When they were done, they went back to scratching around the yard. A few minutes later a crow landed on one of the bones. In a flash the head chicken, Rhoda, was after the crow, with her two followers, Phoenix and Sparrow, right behind. The crow flew up to the roof of the shed and cawed for some back-up. Soon there were three crows trying to get at the bones. All thoughts of scratching around the yard were gone, and the chickens stood their ground. The crows were reduced to sitting in a row peering down at the chickens and cawing loudly. It was better than a movie!

Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Love the blog title!

Go for it, they are entertaining as well as productive little critters Are you thinking just eggs, or meat as well? I've only got one laying bird (plus one rooster and one ornamental giant feather duster) so mulling over more layers or some chicks to fatten up...

Fingers crossed there's nothing in your way
    Ya...we are going to start with eggs for now with the intention of getting into meat. We have just under an acre and a half so we have lots of space for such an endeavor :-) I have been doing a bit of research into greenhouses since we will need one to grow produce year round here. I think we'll attempt chickens this summer if the town doesn't give me grief and maintain our existing summer garden and then work towards a greenhouse.

Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharonll View Post
    Chickens are so much fun! I read your blog posting, and Paul is right that it takes very little work to have urban chickens. I have three, and during the week it takes less than 5 minutes a day to take care of them, which basically consists of letting them out of their pen in the morning, locking them back in the evening, and collecting the eggs. Not work at all, simply fun. On weekends, I spend an additional 15 minutes or so cleaning out the hen house, filling their food container, and washing out their waterer and refilling it. Couldn't be any easier.
    That's exactly what Paul said he does. Nothing to it really.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm so jealous! We have a little over 2 acres and would love to have chickens...but we live in a subdivision so it's forbidden

Fortunately, I was able to make friends with a farmer who lives right outside my subdivision and we get fresh eggs from him weekly and he's gotten some chickens fattening up for me right now for meat.

jicamamama is offline Junior Member
    I have been begging my husband for chickens! Maybe someday....

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jicamamama View Post
    I have been begging my husband for chickens! Maybe someday....
    What's stopping you?

billdb is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Chickens are great

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We have four hens (used to have more, but have hawks, owls, coyotes, possums, etc.). Ours are purely pastured with a bit of scratch for fun. The eggs are wonderful and the kids really like them. We're hoping to add another dozen soon. Very little effort and a great source of healthy food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast