Thread: Eating at night page

Rebekah is offline Junior Member

Eating at night

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'd like to hear what you all think:

I've found, through IF, that I do very well eating one large meal at night (usually between 7:00pm and 8:00pm) and nothing else during the day (no breakfast, lunch, or snacks). Is there anything wrong with eating a large meal at night, somewhat close to bedtime? Will it adversely affect my weight loss attempt, or slow down my metabolism, etc., etc.?

Thanks!
    Rebekah

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    No, it shouldn't. To the body, metabolizing your food is all one big long process regardless of whether or not you're sleeping or awake.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
    I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'd like to hear what you all think:

I've found, through IF, that I do very well eating one large meal at night (usually between 7:00pm and 8:00pm) and nothing else during the day (no breakfast, lunch, or snacks). Is there anything wrong with eating a large meal at night, somewhat close to bedtime? Will it adversely affect my weight loss attempt, or slow down my metabolism, etc., etc.?

Thanks!
    Rebekah
    I do this every night. No problem at all - how late or early you eat has no effect on your weight loss...

That myth exists because people tend to eat dinner and then have a snack before bed. Those snacks add up.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If it works for you, then don't worry about it. If it was slowing down your metabolism, you'd know.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good to me too. I try to eat an hour or so before bed time, but I'm doing the same thing these days.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I dont understand why conventional wisdom thinks our bodies adhere to a 'fat storing clock' lol like my body is like "ooo its 7pm, time to start storing whatever comes in here" never made sense to me. I sometimes have my largest meal at night, sometimes in the morning...it has never affected my body composition, rather what is IN the meals does. CW makes me *facepalm* so much my head hurts

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Rebekah, that's pretty much my own IF protocol and I follow it every other day. It's been great for weight loss/muscle gain and I always have fantastic workouts the next day. So please, carry on

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The only caveat I would bring up would be the chance that all that digestion and absorption might interrupt the sleep cycle. If I were you I would make it a little earlier, but that's just me. I don't have studies, but based on what hormones are released and the caloric expenditure and so on from digestion and absorption would lead me to believe it might not be a wise choice so late.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com