Thread: obese is... fine? page

bpm
    bpm is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

An interesting article in the New York Times. Quite a debate-waiting-to-happen...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/16/health/nutrition/16skin.html

sample quote:

"This movement — a loose alliance of therapists, scientists and others — holds that all people, “even” fat people, can eat whatever they want and, in the process, improve their physical and mental health and stabilize their weight. "

Hmmmm....goes right along with what Gary Taubes says about 'eating too much = excess fat gain' is like saying that our phsyiological problem is ultimately a result of a psychological problem. So this goes hand in hand with that!

We're all fat, so accept it, embrace it, psychologically and all's good! (note my sarcasm here).

OH BROTHER!

maba is offline Senior Member

I was very happy to see the article until I realized the fat in "Embracing the fat" meant corpulent and not the macronutrient. Sigh.

geckogirl Guest

interesting.... though I don't totally agree with the article, I DO think it's positive that there seems to be an emphasis on fitness/movement and health (instead of weight, per se) as well as people not using weight as an excuse to hold themselves back from life. This is huge... I've definitely been guilty of that at times.

Obviously carrying around a bunch of extra weight isn't healthy, but many people do things to get thin that aren't healthy either. I think it's a better path to health to focus on those activities that will make you healthy (good foods and movement, plus sleep and positive mental attitude), than having the focus on what will make you thin, regardless of the method.

So our goal should be based on what body fat percentage is healthy, and how fit/strong we are, not what size jeans we fit into.

JulieD Guest

As someone wih a lot of weight to lose, I can attest to the fact that starting a weight loss/health gaining journey can benefit from having a healthy self-esteem as a starting point. Once I stopped hating myself because I was fat and thinking weight loss was the only thing that would bring me happiness, I was able to get serious. Losing weight is now an enhancement to my life and not the bane of my existence. I've also moved from simply losing weight, which anyone can do in a number of ways, to wanting to achieve health and wellness.

What I won't agree with in the Fat Acceptance camp is when it takes on the idea that there is no need to achieve any wellness. That's when I think it all goes wrong.

geckogirl Guest

Exactly JulieD!