Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why some people don't get the flu page 2

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I usually just ignore illness. I have better things to do with my life than feel sorry for myself.

Then there is my sister who will take an entire packet of aspirin if she has a headache, lie in bed all day and claim she can't do X, Y and Z because of her illness.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    people get the flu because they think they are suppose to

I dont get the flu because i opted out of group think
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    I've had it twice in my life, both times it absolutely floored me. 12 or 13 years ago.

I've hardly had as much as a sniffle since paleo.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I do believe people can carry the flu without getting symptoms. My DH gets exposed to things at his office, he doesn't get sick, but I do. I work alone, and rarely come into contact with other people, plus am a germaphobe that washes my hands often. I'm virtually certain I have been getting my viruses from the DH.

This was pre-primal, so here's hoping I see a difference now. I've also added in a number of supplements known to be anti-viral.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

vtphoenix is offline Member
    Haven't had the flu in 20+ years. I haven't gotten really sick in at least 5 years. I used to annoy friends because they'd all get sick and be floored for days or weeks. Meanwhile, even though I'm hanging out with them, in their dorm rooms/apartments, nary a sniffle. There were even a couple times where I got a little sick for like a day, and they would get sick again, as if what they had mutated and hit them again after going through me.

So, an odd chicken/egg question...would germaphobes be sick MORE if they didn't clean so much, or are they sick so much because they clean so much?

I think all this anti-bacterial stuff is killing people's immune systems while making the germs stronger. To think that this year the flu has spread farther and faster than it has in a while, in a time where there are antibacterial gels in every restroom, and antibacterial wipes for carts at all the grocery/department stores, says a lot.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Iron Fireling, you might carry HSV1 (coldsore virus) but not exhibit it!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Germ-phobia along with vaccinations for relatively trivial viruses deny healthy immune systems the opportunity to develop their full potential.

The flu virus thrives in those with weakened immune systems - this includes the elderly and frail, and young adults who've been vaccinated against every common virus apart from the common cold since they were a baby and thus have an immune system that's never been challenged properly.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Starting my daily intermittent fast was what did it for me. Even eating primal/paleo hadn't stopped me from getting sick. But ever since I started the daily IF, I haven't been sick even once. Oh, had a few days where I have felt under the weather and a bit lousy, but nothing that I could really call being sick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12