Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal thyroid (and everything else!) recovery experiment page

MikkiB is offline Senior Member

Primal thyroid (and everything else!) recovery experiment

Primal Fuel
    OK, I have a lot I want to accomplish so I decided that this is the place to keep track of it all, where I can get the feedback and support of like-minded carnivores

My history:
    Female, 43 years old, 10 pregnancies in 12 years - 2 miscarriages, daughter born 1995, 2 more m/c (actually 3 since there were twins m/c'd 2 weeks apart), son born in 2002, 3 m/c, twin sons born 2004.
    Thyroid problems off and on seemed to appear after a miscarriage and disappear with a full-term pregnancy. When the twins were babies, I exercised like a maniac, counted calories. Nothing. Was diagnosed hypothyroid, started replacement therapy and lost 15 lbs in 3 months. Early 2007, had abdominal surgery and started back to graduate school. Gained it back. another 20 lbs in 2008.
    End of 2008 - my best friend died at age 43 of cancer. I decided that life was too short to obsess, but too important to make excuses. Looked inside my head and heart and got a handle on my emotional eating, stopped gaining, but didn't lose either.
    January 2010 - thyroid function still slowly declining, cholesterol bouncing between 220 and 350, high blood pressure. I asked my doctor to do a C-Reactive Protein test (CRP) and it came back at 3 times the level for 'high risk of massive heart attack and/or sudden death'. CRAP, indeed. Started researching anti-inflammatory diets etc, discovered that I'm gluten-intolerant (at least!). Went low-gluten/low-carb, lost 10 lbs. Hubby got on board and found this site <wave>. It took a while, but he convinced me

My goals (in no particular order):
    1. Lose another 30-50 lbs (depending on where I am happy with how I look and feel!)
    2. Reduce blood pressure to normal range without meds (am starting to wean already)
    3. Reduce cholesterol ratio to healthy range without meds (my doctor prescribed statins but I'm not taking them)
    4. Reduce or eliminate the need for thyroid replacement
    5. Reduce CRP levels to <2

I have others, but these are specific and measurable
    My "starting stats":
    Weight = 195 lbs (highest was 210 in December 2009)
    Chest/Waist/Hips = 46/36/42.5
    Thyroid: 75 mcg levoxyl, 15 mcg cytomel. Last TSH was 1.7 (my lab results are at home I will add them later)
    Blood Pressure: ranges from a low of about 118/82, up to 135/95 unless I'm really stressed. I am weaning off meds and only taking my prescribed dose about every 3 days, and notice that the diastolic starts to creep up on the 2nd day.
    Cholesterol: In January total cholesterol was 360 (it jumped 50 pts in 3 months, even though I'd lost 3 lbs), ratio 6.1

I am still discovering what foods bother me, so my plan is to be very specific in this blog about what I eat and how I feel before and after. I get my blood work done again in 8 weeks

Mikki

Wednesday, April 21

1. Eat lots of animals and plants (<50g carbs)

6am - coffee with a dollop of half and half, 1 tsp of hershey's cocoa and 1 tsp ghirardelli double choc powder, handful macadamia nuts

My tummy bloated after my coffee (this is my main signal that a food has gluten or something else my body doesn't like). This is the first time I've noticed it with my coffee.... man I hope I don't have to give up my spoonful of chocolate in the morning!!!

7:30am - about 3 oz taco meat with 2 string cheese melted in it.

why am I still hungry??? Hubby says eat more fat, so I had a couple handfuls of macadamia nuts. Still kinda hungry. It's the second day of my cycle, so maybe that's it.

11:30 - 6 oz london broil with 1 Tbs A1 steak sauce.

Finally, not hungry!! But 1000 calories by noon, geez.

4:30 - 3 slices of nitrate-free applewood smoked bacon. yummmmmmmmmm
    5:30 - 1 red grape. what can I say? I opened the frig , it was there, I ate one
    6:30 - (in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm trying to log EVERYTHING I eat!) - 1 bite of grass-fed hamburger left on a kids plate. I think it had some American cheese one it though - oops didn't think about that! whisky with a splash of diet ginger ale. <hey, I'm giving up coffee tomorrow. one vice at a time, ok??!>

8:00 - organic turkey-burger with feta cheese, slice of bacon and slice of tomato

2. Move around a lot at a slow place (at least 2 hrs /week)

I work in an urban hospital and my parking deck is a 10-minute fast walk from my office. so... 20 minutes for today.

3. Lift heavy things

does my own bodyweight count? So far today,
    3 sets of 10 squats

4. Run really fast every once in a while

maybe tomorrow LOL

5. Get lots of sleep

Went to sleep around 11pm, woke up a little after 5 and tossed and turned until I got up at 5:45. So about 6 hours. Will try to get to bed earlier tonight!

6. Play

does playing Rockband with my kids count? It's definitely fun, but sedentary :/

7. Get some sunlight every day

It's raining today

8. Avoid trauma

So far, so good

9. Avoid poisonous things

erm.... took seasonal allergy meds and excedrin this morning.

10. Use your mind

I'm a data analyst (biomedical statistician) by day and part-time PhD student by night, so this usually isn't a problem
    Last edited by MikkiB; 04-21-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome!!

I'm hypothyroid, too. One thing I've found is to actually "lose" you may have to drop your carbs under 25. Wait a bit and test it out first, but most hypothyroids I know are much more sensitive to carbs than they were before or other people. So just throwing that out there!

Your hubby's right, more fat. Watch out on the nuts and the cheese.... nuts and dairy are the two things that CAN slow things or stall weight loss for women especially (if you cruise the site you'll see a lot of that). The only way to really check is at some point to give them up and see if there's a big change! And it's easy to go to nuts for fat... but there are a lot more and better options out there. Avocado is a really great one... you can add it to your meat dishes pretty easily. Also coconut oil and/or milk can be added to things (cook in the oil, add the milk to your coffee, etc.) They add the fat without going to dairy or nuts.

You may want to find out what your RMR (resting metabolic rate) is. There are places to go to do the calculations (someone here will have that info!). I found out mine at the doc. Mine is 1600, which means that's the amount of calories i need just to exist. So if I want to lose, I need to eat a little less than that, and exercise a little more. The more muscle you gain the higher that number will go, so at some point calories won't be that big of an issue, for sure!

With the cocoa and powder you want to check the sugars in them. Most people here that do indulge occasionally in chocolate do the super dark (above 80%). Even then, that, too should be more of an indulgence than a daily treat, at the weight loss level anyway. You'll be able to do different stuff when you're at the place you want to be and are just maintaining.

I do suggest reading a lot of the journals here (especially the women's ones!) because it will give you a lot of insight into what people are really doing, issues that come up and possible causes/solutions. It's helped me TONS. And ask away... there's a lot of people here with a lot of great information.

:-)
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

No dairy, no chocolate, and no nuts??????? Next you'll be telling me I can't drink whisky at night!! <runs screaming>
    Just kidding I actually never was much of a nut-eater, but it seemed like an easy way to get more fat, like you said. But getting a jump-start on weight loss would be very motivating. I only use the chocolate to make the coffee palatable (I'm hyper-sensitive to bitter flavors, but started drinking coffee to replace soda for the caffeine LOL). Sadly, I never cared much for avocado or coconut. Maybe I should give them another try since my palette isn't numbed by carbs and salt anymore

Thanks for the tips!!

Dang it, I didn't realize that you can't edit posts. From now on I won't post my 'daily journal' until the end of the day!

OK, here are my starting labs:
    Fasting glucose 79 - which is good, but I'd still like to see how it does. In October it was around 100, so going gluten-free is already helping!
    Creatinine 0.95 - high normal
    Albumin 5.1 - high normal
    TSH 1.7
    Free T4 - 1.0
    Vit D 46.5 - in January it was 23 and I started taking 2500mg vit D/day
    CRP 12.2 mg/L

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    LOL... I know it sucks to get rid of some things. I have the same thing about bitter-- so I don't drink coffee! I tried many a time but I just don't like it. I do green tea for the caffeine and that seems to help a lot and taste a lot better.

You can get coconut oil that doesn't make your foods taste coconutty, so that you can cook in it and get the fat benes without the taste. Or use butter.... or ghee (clarified butter), just cook in it and/or spread it on your veggies. Or use dressings on salads (or on veggie/meat dishes)... make with olive oil and vinegar and whatever else. There are a ton of recipes on the site. You can get a good amount of fat in a small amount of dressing, for sure!!

And you can edit posts. There should be a button at the bottom of the post you typed after it's posted which says "Edit". K now I gotta go test that theory!

Edited: yup. the button is on the bottom right of the post next to reply and reply with quote.... Hope that helps!!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Aah, yes, it helps to be logged in
    We started making and cooking with ghee a few weeks ago ... yummmm This weekend I want to make home-made mayo and salad dressing.

Tomorrow's plan - no coffee. urgh.

Happy

Thursday, April 22

I woke up with a splitting allergy headache- the kind where it hurts so bad that I feel like I'll puke if I move my head too fast So I got a very slow start to the day. With the help of lots of pharmaceuticals, I'm upright, but I'm not very functional today!!

6:30 am - 1/2 cup of coffee with half and half, 1 tsp of hershey's unsweetened cocoa. I know I was going to skip it today, but I woke up in all sorts of pain and my tummy bloated before I even ate, so I figured that I might as well have some coffee! But I did leave out the sweet chocolate...

9:00 am - ~5 or 6 oz of grassfed hamburgers

1pm - beef and broccoli stir-fry. small serving, it was plenty

4:30pm - turkey burger with feta

9:00 pm - grass-fed steak

20 minutes of walking, 1 hr trekking around a farm with the cub scouts (1 hr 40 min total for week)

3. Lift heavy things

I think helping my 60lb son through the rope obstacle course counts - I lifted him a few times and did a lot of stabilizing of rope so he could maneuver... it actually was a pretty good strength workout

errrr. no. not until my headache goes away!

5. Get lots of sleep

Went to sleep around 11pm, woke up around 6.

6. Play

I'm taking the boys to a petting farm tonight. I will try my best not to eat any of them while I'm there

Sunny today! So I'll get some during my walks and trip the the farm..

8. Avoid trauma

Some idiot either drifted out of his lane or decided to move into my lane without either using his turn signal or checking to see if someone was already occupying the space ... I saw him in time to slam on my breaks and thus avoided trauma Got a nice little shot of adrenaline to wake me up, too!!

The freakin' AIR is poisonous today. I can't wait until pollen season is over!!!

10. Use your mind

Not having great luck with that today. Since I figured I'd just screw up anything complicated, I used the day to finalize my travel plans for next week and make a to-do list....
    Last edited by MikkiB; 04-23-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Saturday, April 24

9:00 am - coffee with coconut milk, 1 tsp unsweet cocoa. I thought it would make my coffee taste like coconut, but it's good

9:30am - 2 egg omelette with cheddar and ham, cooked in coconut oil and ghee

12:30 pm - the cheese and pepperoni off of a piece of pizza, salad with homemade dressing (1/2 olive oil, 1/2 almond oil)

5:30 pm - post-nap coffee with coconut milk

dinner will be chicken 'breaded' with almond flour and fried in lard, and salad with home-made dressing

Nothing today (2 hr total for week)

3. Lift heavy things

Super-slow upper body weight lifting and pushups. It was my first time with the super-slow lifing (a la 'body by science'), and it felt amazing to feel each muscle fiber engage and take the load deliberately as I moved a weight through my range of motion. Loved it!

Not yet. Still gotta do that this week!

5. Get lots of sleep

Went to sleep around 11pm, woke up around 8. aaaaah, love the weekend

6. Play

adult play I'd say that counts <vbg> ... not to mention the oxytocin flood

raining today... I took my vit D supplement...

8. Avoid trauma

done.

done

10. Use your mind

worked a bit on my dissertation...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, forgot to add - I weighed in at 192.8 today - a 5 lb loss in 10 days Primal, and 17 lbs since going gluten free in January

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast