Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feelings of low blood sugar - why? page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Feelings of low blood sugar - why?

Shop Now
    I've been doing this for 6-8 weeks or so (can't remember exactly when I started). I'm eating VLC - no dairy, no fruit, nuts only occasionally. My ratios are 60-75% fat/15-25% protein/ 5-10% carbs.

Before PB, I was hypoglycemic, and would turn into a raving maniac if my blood sugar got too low, which it often did. My symptoms have improved 1000-fold, but lately I've been having some of those symptoms again and I don't understand why.

I IF occasionally, and did my first 24-hour IF over the weekend without incident. But yesterday I IF'd for 18 hours, and the rest of the day I felt shaky and, according to my husband, was fairly bitchy, too. This has also happened without IF'ing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Also, I've noticed lately that I am hungry much more often, despite eating the same amounts as I have been - generally 1500-1800 calories a day.

Would love to hear any insights you might have.

Thanks!

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Hi JennF, Congrats on your first 6-8 weeks

Somewhere on here, (of course I can't remember where!) I read something about calorie intake being more about a weekly total than a daily total. So, if you're IFing for a couple days a week (especially close together), maybe your body is still looking for the extra energy? When I track my calories, I'll notice my natural trend is to eat more some days and eat less in subsequent days. I'm not sure what your goals are, but eating a bit more on your non-IF days during the weeks you IF might not be a bad thing. Hope that made sense!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    You sure it's not TOM. I get hungry about a week before, and I am a bit bitchy a few days before. Just a thought.

Wish I could say that was the case, jo, but I just went through that a couple weeks ago. My DH has got to be sick of my bitchiness by now LOL!

Mmmfat, I suppose you're right, but yesterday was an IF day and I still managed to pack in almost 1500 calories 'cause I was so hungry the rest of the day. I'm having a hard time figuring out how much to eat as I'm hardly losing any weight (or fat!) as it is, so I never know if I should be eating more or less. And I'm so used to measuring all my food from years of counting calories that I usually go by what amount I "should" eat rather than how much I'm actually hungry for.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    jenn,
    How's your fat intake? If you're VLC, maybe you need to go up to 70% or so...

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's too soon for you to be doing IF.

Otherwise, what Kuno said. More fat.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    I'm so used to measuring all my food from years of counting calories that I usually go by what amount I "should" eat rather than how much I'm actually hungry for.
    I hear ya! For the past few days, I haven't been measuring or weighing my food or entering it into fitday, and it's making me crazy! I had been tracking my foods since starting PB and losing just a bit of weight (which is fine, my goals are improving health and body composition) so I figured it's a good time to start learning to trust my food instincts. It's not easy!

I don't have a lot of experience with IF, I've only done it a couple times, and it was because I honestly wasn't hungry. I've wanted to do it a few more times, but if I'm not feeling ready for it, I'd rather eat normally than try force it and have a bad experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DiabetesCanKissMyButt View Post
    Maybe it's too soon for you to be doing IF.

Otherwise, what Kuno said. More fat.
    Ditto^ It's going to take time and patience and experimenting to find out what will work best for each of us.
    Last edited by MmmFat; 04-21-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Agreeing with DCKMB & Kuno

I've upped my fats the last couple of weeks by eating a tbsp. of coconut oil after every meal. I swear I could eat a jar of it a day! Last week I was starving all week and ate a ton, so decided to IF for 24 hours to see if I was really hungry or just in an eating mode. The 24 hour fast was such a breeze and I felt so good when it was done that I decided to IF for 16 hours every 3rd day or so. Don't think that worked so well :P

Guess I'll go back to what I was doing and just try to cram enough food down my gullet to keep from being hungry every other hour.

I'm really wondering if my metabolism revved up a bit. Is that possible?

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I third the maybe too soon for IF. Perhaps because your body is so used to those blood sugar cycles, it hasn't adjusted enough to be ready to go that long without food. Just a thought... I've been doing PB pretty much for 4 months and I'm not ready for IFing yet. Too many other things still normalizing for me. I have had days when I had dinner at 5PM and then didn't eat until 9 or 10 the next day... but that was because i wasn't hungry.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Michael Eades (of Protein Power) is a big fan of IF, but I recall that he mentioned that some diabetics and some hypoglycemics have blood sugar problems doing IF. I don't recall the science behind it (since I'm neither), but my sister is a type2, and she has blood sugar drops that are too extreme when she tries to IF.

Perhaps if you just extend time between meals slowly, it might help, but, again, I'm not sure what the actual difficulty is for folks with blood glucose issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast