Thread: Alternative protein sources, i.e. not meat or whey? page

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I love meat as much as the next primal person, but I feel locked down eating it ALL the time. Its just a summertime thing for me, I tend to lean more vegetarian because all the veggies are in season!

To keep protein up, I have been supplementing with whey protein powder. Sometimes all my protein in a day is from egg whites and whey protein. I do a lot of fish (salmon, sardines) is the summer too.

Anyway, here is my Q: Are there alternate sources of protein that wont make me, uh... gassy?

I really like my protein shakes (almond milk, water, avocado or coco oil, cherries or raspberries and whey protein)... but the side effects are uncomfortable.

So, uh... thanks for any suggestions!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

TT how about nuts?

Look at this link:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-nuts.htm

and then click on the "Compare protein in Nuts to protein in Fish" link.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

But nuts are carby...?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

CaveGirl Guest

I'm in the same boat as you Tara, I don't like much red meat/pork/game meat..etc during the summer because I naturally crave more fresh fruits and veggies. I tend to eat a lot of raw fish in the summertime (during July-August, if I had the funds I would live off of sashimi!)

Maybe fish with fruit compotes to keep things light and "clean" tasting?

Oh I am ALL about fruit compotes. lol. I made a peach one with thyme and had it with yogurt. YUM.

www.tarablogsabouteverything.blogspot.com

TT the net carb content of, say almonds, is not a big issue, unless you eat a ton of them. If you are looking to just supplement I think you should be fine.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

I dont wanna eat all those nuts though! Any other ideas?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Try a different brand of whey... I've found optimum nutrition's protien powder to be the best cost effective and stomach wise.