Thread: Why are nightshades bad for you? page

nivia is offline Junior Member

Why are nightshades bad for you?

Primal Fuel
    Someone please reply This question is driving me nuts.. I'm going out to buy the book today, but I just read on the site that peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant is bad on the primal lifestyle.... I just need to know why right now!! I eat these things literally on a daily basis!! What about blueberries??
    Last edited by nivia; 01-12-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    If you're not allergic to them, they're fine. Nightshades contain alkaloids that impair digestive function in those who are allergic or sensitive to them.

Tomato skin is high in pectin, and contains a lot of unavoidable seeds, so they should be discarded anyway.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Some people are sensitive to them due to allergies and in large quantities, they can cause a bit of digestive stress and inflammation I've read.

But if you're not a) allergic, or b) eating the concentrated nightshade diet then I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, in reasonable amounts,they're actually GOOD for you.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Also, nightshades are implicated in inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, and also some skin conditions. If you have no special challenges and/or haven't noticed any sensitivities to them, eat happily away.

And - just because you are new here, I do need to caution you to read the book and stick to the book, regardless of what anyone else here writes. Some of the folks on the MDA really do have serious complicating medical conditions, but the rest are mostly just putzing around with the Primal for whatever reason. After a while you will know your own body well enough to tweak your foods into a form optimal for you, but until then - as always - stick to the book. Welcome here!

And blueberries are my one of my favorite fruits. Especially the wild ones. Yum!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC