Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut Butter & Weight Loss question page

reallygravity is offline Senior Member

Coconut Butter & Weight Loss question

Primal Fuel
    I just discovered Coconut Butter today. OMG. I have been totally missing out!

My diet consists of fats, proteins, and carbs (from non-starchy vegetables). No fruit, dairy, and nuts (until I get to my goal weight).

So this is a nut related question. I cant do nuts because they make my body retain water, and stalls my weight-loss. Will coconut butter do the same thing to me? I do fine with coconut oil.

Thanks in advance!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    The only way you will know is if you try.
    This WOE is all about experimentation to see exactly which of the "safe" foods are OK for you.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    The only way you will know is if you try.
    This WOE is all about experimentation to see exactly which of the "safe" foods are OK for you.
    What kind of reply is this?

Coconut oil is better than whole flesh of the coconut, but as it contains MCTs, it stimulates metabolism and can aid in weight loss. It's not the same thing as nuts, as the fat in coconut is mostly saturated and serves to displace unsaturated fat in your body.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Coconut is a fruit not really a nut so it's a whole separate beast. That said, it can be overdone just like anything else. Derpy is right abut the MCTs but that does not mean that eating gobs of it will cause instant weight loss (unless you count the mad dashed to the bathroom..)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Coconut butter is fattening. It's too easy to eat too much.

You can cook with it. You can make great curries with it. Just add hot water and it turns sort of into coconut milk that is great for making a curry. I make a paleo baked good now and then that has 1 heaping spoonful of coconut butter, a banana or equivalent amount of cooked sweet potato, one egg and either a heaping spoon of cocoa powder or pumpkin pie spice. Not that these items aren't also pretty fattening or anything...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Heth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Coconut butter is fattening. It's too easy to eat too much.
    I agree! There are so many people saying it is good for weight loss but for me coconut oil/butter are so delicious and more-ish that when I used to buy them I'd just end up eating too many calories. I'd rather go for coconut cream (the Ayam brand is 100% coconut extract) because it's much lower in calories but still has a good amount of fat and is low-carb.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Thank you everyone for your replies and feedback!

otzi Guest
    When you get down to half a jar, microwave it for about 30 seconds and mix a big handful of cocoa nibs in the coconut butter and let it harden back up...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    When you get down to half a jar, microwave it for about 30 seconds and mix a big handful of cocoa nibs in the coconut butter and let it harden back up...
    You're an evil, eeeeevil person, Otzi.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    What kind of reply is this?

Coconut oil is better than whole flesh of the coconut, but as it contains MCTs, it stimulates metabolism and can aid in weight loss. It's not the same thing as nuts, as the fat in coconut is mostly saturated and serves to displace unsaturated fat in your body.
    The OP asked if coconut butter would do the same thing for her.
    The only way they will know is if they try.
    Geez

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast