Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Butter & Weight Loss question page 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Actually, no.
    If someone was to cook with an equal amount of olive oil... equal amount of fat.

And to a person who does not like the taste of coconut... spooning it is not a problem.

So, it's still a matter of simply ingesting too much of a calorically dense food.
    That is an individual human issue, NOT an issue of the food itself.
    If a person has a control issue with a food product that is not the food products fault.
    Should Leida go onto threads and tell everyone that fruit is fattening because she has control issues with that food?

I keep a jar of coconut butter in my cabinet... I do not over eat it.
    As a matter of fact I rarely eat it.
    I only use it to make occasional treats... once a month or less.

Coconut butter in and of itself is NOT fattening.
    No more than coconut oil, or dairy butter, or HWC, or olive oil.
    It is simply a form of fat that some people find very tasty.

Chocolate is also NOT fattening.
    Many people on these forums enjoy small amounts of dark chocolate daily or at least several times a week... others might not be able to because they would over eat it.
    I believe Sakura Girl? (maybe) does/did have problems with her chocolate self control.
    It's not the food. It's the amount of the food.

It's not the FOOD.
    Like button please!

We all have trigger foods. Not everyone reacts the same to the same foods. I'm with Leida on the fruit thing personally, but I know that that doesn't mean everyone is.

Lots of people here have said they DETEST the flavor of coconuts so try getting them to eat enough coconut butter or oil that they gain weight. Going to be an uphill battle to be sure.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Cori's arrived at a new paradigm. People are fattening.

If they have a relationship with a food that is out of control and eat it to excess... it's not the food.

That person should avoid that food. Not really try and tell everyone that THAT specific food is fattening because "I can't control myself around it."

This is a YMMV situation if ever there was one.
    Lots of people use coconut butter in moderation.
    Even just on rare occasion like I do.
    I don't find it fattening at all.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Timthetaco Guest
    Where does that leave foods that literally have no potential to add to fat stores, like lettuce? Is that still as fattening as heavy whipping cream? Personally, after a three day HWC binge, I think I would emerge slightly fatter than I would on a salad binge, no matter how much I loved salad.

I'm basically talking about food reward, which you seem to be discounting in favor of the belief that if a person overeats a certain food, it represents a private eating disorder, and that no food could be universally appealing, and therefore universally vulnerable to overconsumption, and therefore universally fattening.

Like ice cream. Mm. You're taking offense to the word itself because it declares a particular food to be "bad". Some foods are just way easier to get fat on than others, even generally speaking. You wouldn't apply this same argument to wheat, I bet.

(edited, misspoke in last paragraph)
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 01-13-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Tim, wheat DOES follow almost the same argument. It's just WAY easier for tons of people to overindulge because of the blood sugar spike AND the fact that it binds to opiate receptors which seems to make wheat a trigger food for a much LARGER group of people.

Tons of non-weight reasons to avoid eating it aside from this issue.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Timthetaco Guest
    Lots of things bind to opiate receptors. You're trying to create a scientific validation for wheat being fattening while at the same time discounting the simple fact that it's easy to overeat calorically dense fatty foods that are technically "primal friendly."

What's the point?

Ever seen skinny SAD eaters? Tons of 'em out there. If wheat was magically "fattening" as some seem to think it is, no SAD eaters would be skinny PERIOD.

I'm not discounting anything, in fact. I know full WELL how easy it is to binge on some foods, even primal favorites. Fruit is a trigger for me. I know this, so I try to avoid more than a handful of berries every now and then. But I also know that trigger foods tend to vary from person to person. Certain foods (wheat being one) have more proclivity to be triggers for a broader range of individuals, but even that doesn't ALWAYS make them so. I know there are some people out there who just seem immune to the effects wheat. I've seen it and remain forever jealous. It's the blanket statement that a food is fattening for everyone that is at issue here.

Different bodies, different metabolisms. Food effects different people differently. Nutrition is so individual.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Where does that leave foods that literally have no potential to add to fat stores, like lettuce? Is that still as fattening as heavy whipping cream? Personally, after a three day HWC binge, I think I would emerge slightly fatter than I would on a salad binge, no matter how much I loved salad.

I'm basically talking about food reward, which you seem to be discounting in favor of the belief that if a person overeats a certain food, it represents a private eating disorder, and that no food could be universally appealing, and therefore universally vulnerable to overconsumption, and therefore universally fattening.

Like ice cream. Mm. You're taking offense to the word itself because it declares a particular food to be "bad". Some foods are just way easier to get fat on than others, even generally speaking. You wouldn't apply this same argument to wheat, I bet.

(edited, misspoke in last paragraph)
    As I pointed out I was speaking about trigger foods (though I did not use that term specifically)... foods that people cannot control themselves when they eat them.

I am not personally aware of anyone who views lettuce as a trigger food.
    And I've never seen a salad that contained ONLY lettuce, there is usually fat and protein in there from something in this WOE. But whatever.
    And if they did love lettuce that much it would not be apparent as a problem (i.e. cause weight gain) because it would be pretty much impossible to eat enough of it volume wise to make a caloric impact.

I was trying to keep the conversation to whole daily foods not treats and compound/complex reward foods such as ice cream where you are giving yourself mass hits of fat and sugar/sweet in one hit because I don't consider that anything but an occasional treat... once a month maybe. But then ice cream isn't really any different that the chocolate analogy that I made.
    Again. Self control. If you cannot control yourself with ice cream and you binge on it... it's not the fault of the ice cream. I eat ice cream on occasion, but I don't over consume it so it's not a problem for me and it doesn't trigger any binges or whatever. I would not say that ice cream is "universally fattening" by any means either, because so many people still eat it in moderation and don't over eat it even though it's a massive reward taste/load. I also don't get urges to binge from eating fruit like many on the forums do. So yes... it is individual IMO. And every individual needs to deal with their own triggers.

It's a MY n=1 is not your n=1 issue.

Yes, it is easier to over eat on calorically dense foods, but that does not mean that the same calorically dense foods are "universally fattening" for everyone. One persona might over consume chocolate, another coconut butter, another ice cream, another has already hit their caloric intake goals for the day and raids the fruit bowls and has a major binge... which doesn't sound bad but in her experience it keeps her from losing the weight she wants to and can actually add pounds because it wrecks her relationship with her diet for days and can cause her to gain weight.
    It's an individual issue.

Wheat is a different problem IMO because of the opiate effects that it has on the brain, the fact that is actually causes one to be more hungry causing one to eat on average 400 more calories per day of more wheat products, and the gluten/gliadin issues.
    I have severe medical issues caused by gluten. I don't eat it. Period.
    I don't think it's wise for others to do so either... but they can if they want to. *shrug*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yes, "triggerfoods" is a separate question, and may be very individual, what triggers to overeating. It is possible to lose weight on all kind of foods and it is possible to gain weight on the same food as well. Very simple: If you eat more than your body need you accumulates fat and eating less than needed you will lose weight. Being in a calorie deficit you may lose weight by eating cakes and cookies and being in a calorie surplus you may gain weight by eating broccoli and carrots. True story folks...

Heth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    How can you find coconut oil delicious? Unless you don't mean you eat it by the spoonful or something. I think it's nice in coffee and with eggs.
    I reckon you're lucky that you don't like it as much as me! It might be a quality thing - the pure stuff is much more flavourful than the refined stuff, but whether that's a good thing really depends on whether you enjoy the coconut flavour (I do!). When I used to buy coconut oil for cooking (I still buy it for my skin but I stick my hand in the jar so it's not appetising) I used to eat it by the spoonful and I found it hard to stop. Same with butter. Same with red palm fruit oil. Now the only concentrated fat I keep around is olive oil because as someone else said it's just really hard to overdo it. Yes, this is a personal thing, all these foods are not inherently bad foods they are just too darn delicious for me
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    I reckon you're lucky that you don't like it as much as me! It might be a quality thing - the pure stuff is much more flavourful than the refined stuff, but whether that's a good thing really depends on whether you enjoy the coconut flavour (I do!). When I used to buy coconut oil for cooking (I still buy it for my skin but I stick my hand in the jar so it's not appetising) I used to eat it by the spoonful and I found it hard to stop. Same with butter. Same with red palm fruit oil. Now the only concentrated fat I keep around is olive oil because as someone else said it's just really hard to overdo it. Yes, this is a personal thing, all these foods are not inherently bad foods they are just too darn delicious for me
    I find it kind of has a weird nutty taste to it, that goes down better when in the context of food. I found I couldn't tolerate the aftertaste as well(my main problem with liver and fish).
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast