Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Butter & Weight Loss question page 2

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    if coconut oil doesnt make you retain water but nuts do, i dont know if coconut butter will. there is a fair bit of coconut oil in coconut butter. does coconut flour make you retain water? if that and coconut oil dont, you may be fine. try a bit and see and if it does, i will PM you my address and you can post me the rest of the jar LOL

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Coconut butter is fattening. It's too easy to eat too much.

You can cook with it. You can make great curries with it. Just add hot water and it turns sort of into coconut milk that is great for making a curry. I make a paleo baked good now and then that has 1 heaping spoonful of coconut butter, a banana or equivalent amount of cooked sweet potato, one egg and either a heaping spoon of cocoa powder or pumpkin pie spice. Not that these items aren't also pretty fattening or anything...
    No... Coconut butter is A fat, and is therefore calorically dense, PLUS really tasty, making it easy to eat too much.
    Eating too much, too much of anything... even low fat/fat free foods, is fattening.

Fat itself is not fattening.
    Most of us understand that by now, right.
    Please don't do that.

*Edit... That had to be a mistake or slip or sme sort of type-o SBhikes. I know you don't believe that. That is the most CW thing I've ever seen you post. It has to be some sort of accident. Late? Tired? Just not paying attention... something. I mean... I've been reading your posts for a long time. There is no way... lol
    You are forgiven!
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-13-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It IS fattening. It is fattening like almond butter is fattening. It is not the same as olive oil. When was the last time you poured yourself a fourth spoonful of olive oil or swore you'd never buy another bottle of olive oil again?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I love coconut butter but I've never felt the need to eat more than a serving. Not that I think eating more than that would be bad at all.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    I agree! There are so many people saying it is good for weight loss but for me coconut oil/butter are so delicious and more-ish that when I used to buy them I'd just end up eating too many calories. I'd rather go for coconut cream (the Ayam brand is 100% coconut extract) because it's much lower in calories but still has a good amount of fat and is low-carb.
    How can you find coconut oil delicious? Unless you don't mean you eat it by the spoonful or something. I think it's nice in coffee and with eggs.
    nihil

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    It IS fattening. It is fattening like almond butter is fattening. It is not the same as olive oil. When was the last time you poured yourself a fourth spoonful of olive oil or swore you'd never buy another bottle of olive oil again?
    I know exactly what you mean. Foods should be calorie-dense or spoonable ... not both!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    It IS fattening. It is fattening like almond butter is fattening.
    Almond butter is NOT fattening either, no foods are fattening in isolation by themselves. You have misunderstood something very fundamental here, so now go to the dunce corner and put on your hat...

dunce-cap.gif

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    how can you find coconut oil delicious?
    i used to think this for years till i discovered all brands of coconut oil dont taste the same. the one my wholefoods shop sells bulk is horrid. no way i can eat it off the spoon without feeling very sick. there is a different brand they sell which comes from the phillipines i think and that tastes like the inside of a bounty bar but not so sweet and that i can easily eat off the spoon and it tastes good.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Actually, no.
    If someone was to cook with an equal amount of olive oil... that is an equal amount of fat and an equal amount of calories ingested.
    Sometimes when I eat a salad I pour a tablespoon or two (depending on the size of the salad) of premium unfiltered olive oil over it along with some aged balsamic ... it's delicious. I sop that stuff up and slurp whatever is left on the plate with a spoon.

And to a person who does not like the taste of coconut... spooning it is not a problem.

So, it's still a matter of simply ingesting too much of a calorically dense food.
    That is an individual human issue, NOT an issue of the food itself.
    If a person has a control issue with a food product that is not the food products fault.
    Should Leida go onto threads and tell everyone that fruit is fattening because she has control issues with that food?

I keep a jar of coconut butter in my cabinet... I do not over eat it.
    As a matter of fact I rarely eat it.
    I only use it to make occasional treats... once a month or less.
    I've never eaten multiple spoons or sworn to not buy another jar.

Coconut butter in and of itself is NOT fattening.
    No more than coconut oil, or dairy butter, or HWC, or olive oil.
    It is simply a form of fat that some people find very tasty.

Chocolate is also NOT fattening.
    Many people on these forums enjoy small amounts of dark chocolate daily or at least several times a week... others might not be able to because they would over eat it.
    I believe Sakura Girl? (maybe) does/did have problems with her chocolate self control.
    It's not the food. It's the amount of the food.

It's not the FOOD.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cori's arrived at a new paradigm. People are fattening.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast