Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Health Diet - Newest Edition page 5

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^ I think your right on paleomom. Supplementation in isolation can be downright dangerous. I would much rather look at utilizing supplemental foods as Mark points out in this post:

14 Important Nutrient-Dense Supplemental Foods | Mark's Daily Apple

On days I don't make an egg dish I shoot 3 raw egg yolks. Eat liver 1x/week. Make and drink bone broth a few days a week. Ferment my own veggies and make yogurt. Get grass fed butter and cheeses. Plenty of shellfish.

One thing I've compromised on is fermented cod liver oil for my kids. Its a "food" in my view. They take it since they don't eat fish and liver like I do.

Like you I do have a few things I do. I have always taken the cod liver oil (I too see that as food), a kelp tablet and vitamin d3 in the winter. I eat a spoonful of raw liver daily, bone broth near daily, fermented veggies and kombucha, homemade grass-fed ghee and raw cheese. I used to eat lots of eggs but now seem allergic

The cod liver oil and kelp seem like food and the d3 is something I obviously just can't get from food and I live almost in Canada.

Oh, yeah, the vitamin E. I have to wonder how necessary this actually is considering how rare it seems to be in food. Anyone else?

This is the one thing I'm always low on in cronometer. I usually am able to meet about 80-85% of nutritional needs except for that one. I think that is pretty good considering I'm usually eating only 12-1400 calories. I'd be way over 100% if I was eating 2,000. Plus like I mentioned earlier, it is all from sources that I'm sure are providing more nutrition than is being shown on their program.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    The cod liver oil and kelp seem like food and the d3 is something I obviously just can't get from food and I live almost in Canada.
    I have a Japanese friend who eats a completely traditional diet and even he only eats seaweed like once or MAYBE twice at most per week. I think it's often overstated how often the Japanese eat seaweed. Taking it daily feels to me like it might be a bit of overkill. Iodine is a bioaccumulative anyway, so you don't need to take it daily or maybe even shouldn't, especially at the levels present in seaweed.

otzi Guest
    Something strange has come out of the PHD for me.

For years now, I have been keeping total carbs under 100 or less. Most of my carbs were coming from fruit, like a couple bananas, melon, apples, etc... a day. Since applying the PHD principle of 1 pound of potatoes a day, I have ended up eating almost no sugary fruit. I have never felt better. No gas, bloating, perfect BM's.

It must be pear season, because our local store had a huge display of pears...I couldn't resist, and bought a half-bushel. Within a day of eating 2-3 pears, I was so gassed up and bloated I couldn't believe it. I was blaming everything but the pears, though. I did a little Googling, and came across this site: TheFartingPear - fructose malabsorption food list and food search There it was: Fructose Malabsorption--staring me in the face for years.

When I was keeping under 50g carbs, my problems were mostly absent, but going above 100g meant stomach bloat and digestion problems. I always blamed 'carbs', but the only way I ever got above 100g was to eat sugary fruit.

I'm now eating 100-200g carbs a day in form of potatoes/sweet potatoes/rice and feeling great with no stomach distress.

otzi,

I've been feeling like there must be a real connection with starch and healthy BM's too. I'm so glad I read PHD finally. I wasn't really feeling like I had a huge problem before, but now that I'm eating all this starch I feel like things are running even better. I suppose I used to rely a bit on magnesium for regularity, which is no longer needed with the added starch (sweet potato).

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I enlarged, copied in color and keep the "apple" on my fridge and in a notebook where I plan meals and grocery lists.
    The Diet | Perfect Health Diet

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the 'apple' is excellent.

We're about to share it with friends too.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Drumroll, it looks like it's you and me against the potato hack.

From the sound of it, maybe we need to go strict primal to ramp up the fat burner hormones, and then it's okay to add in a little starch? However a whole pound is ridiculous at least for someone my size.

I'll stick with PB for the moment, thanks.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^PB works great, carb curve and all.

I like much of what they say in the PHD, but I also don't hold the fear of too little glucose that Paul has. I prefer Robb Wolf's old stance which was essentially to "eat carbs to fuel your level of exercise".....fairly simple and vastly adaptable. Reasonable approach to think someone doing 5 Metcons/week may need a bit of a different approach than a couch patoto or even a weekend warrior IMO.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Drumroll, it looks like it's you and me against the potato hack.

From the sound of it, maybe we need to go strict primal to ramp up the fat burner hormones, and then it's okay to add in a little starch? However a whole pound is ridiculous at least for someone my size.

I'll stick with PB for the moment, thanks.
    Sounds like the PHD's whole reason for advocating that much starch is pretty much based SOLEY on the resistant starch thing and gut health. I admit that resistant starch is probably great for your gut flora but I have to say, I haven't really experienced the issues with my gut that so many other people here are now complaining about. I dunno what caused it for them and I would never presume to speculate, but I've been fine without it.

If I ever start having gut issues, maybe I'll consider adding some starch back into my diet, but certainly NOT an entire pound. I can't imagine how much unwanted water weight that would put back on me. Plus the fact that starchy things usually take more effort and time to prepare than meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, ect. A pound of that a day means I am spending FAR more time in the kitchen.

I do the occasional carb-up day where I do have some starch, so I'm not starch-free, I just don't actively go seeking it out on a daily basis.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast