Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect Health Diet - Newest Edition page 4

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Um, well just to provide some context for his whole rant. Approximately 70% of Americans fall into the fluffy middled, metabolic syndrome, or type I or II diabetics that he is recommending restricting carbs to 70-110g for.....

Thats over 2/3 of all Americans and likely to be a much higher percent of anyone adopting the paleo lifestyle for health or weight loss.

So who is his post really for? What it really boils down to is he is talking to the 20% out there happy with their weight and health AND the 10% out there that are pushing themselves in athletic competition and high end training. That's who most of his article is geared toward.

I have no problem with his perspective, except that I don't see fueling excessive exercise with excessive carbs to be a healthy thing. I do believe that his original premise is correct in that you trade health and longevity for short term athletic prowess. Maybe not so bad as a teen high school athlete, but certainly overtraining becomes more an more real as you approach middle age.

Also Robb is still on the get your carbs from root veggies type of thing rather than potato or rice....until you need those excess carbs then it seems like he's for sweet potato, but not a fan of rice.
    I think when breaking free from SAD, especially if there are metabolic issues going on, many can benefit from low carb for a while.

Paul Jaminet calls the PHD 'Low Carb', because it supplies slightly less than the body's daily demand for glycogen, but it's in the 100-200g range. He says most should shoot for 600 carb calories a day (150g). For me, that's 2 potatoes and another 25g carbs from any other source.

otzi Guest
    Um, well just to provide some context for his whole rant. Approximately 70% of Americans fall into the fluffy middled, metabolic syndrome, or type I or II diabetics that he is recommending restricting carbs to 70-110g for.....

Thats over 2/3 of all Americans and likely to be a much higher percent of anyone adopting the paleo lifestyle for health or weight loss.

So who is his post really for? What it really boils down to is he is talking to the 20% out there happy with their weight and health AND the 10% out there that are pushing themselves in athletic competition and high end training. That's who most of his article is geared toward.
    I like this statement from Robb Wolf's latest post: "That LC can be used as a powerful therapeutic tool is without a doubt, but it has tricked more than just me into mistaking the effect of a therapeutic intervention for a cause. For more than 100 years medical practitioners recommended a LC approach for weight loss, but for the reasons related to specific individual insulin resistance AND satiety. Some folks do well on higher carb, some better on lower. We can do theory and internet flame wars all day and never get to a point that helps people. Or, we can take general guidelines, encourage folks to tinker, and actually see some results for our efforts."

and:

"So, Low Carb is bad, right?

As sure as the night follows day, some folks will read this and the take-away will be that LC is bad. DESPITE my description of LC as a valuable therapeutic tool for a variety of conditions....

1-Insulin resistance/diabetes both type 1 and 2,
    2-Neurodegenerative diseases
    3-Certain cancers
    4-Hormetic stress

What are Some wanker moves with regards to LC?

1- CrossFit or very hard training while LC or ketogenic
    2-Not realizing LC is a tool. This should have actually been #1"

Paul Bunyan is offline Junior Member
    Reading PHD on my Kindle now. I like the journey he takes the reader to understand how and why the ancestral approach is ideal. How the "dose makes the poison" angle helps us to understand the issue with under / over supplying the body with various nutrients. Good stuff!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Totally got it from the library after waiting 500yrs for it to be transferred.

But of course I was even MORE surprised that my stupid library system even HAD it
    in the FIRST PLACE.

Still reading the preface since my kids are omnipresent and will NOT leave me alone,
    but hope to get a chunk read tonight and the rest tomorrow!

Julie

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I just finished it and really enjoyed the first part in particular. Wow, on the supplement section though. Even though good reasons are given for everything, I have to sit back and think a bit about all the healthy cultures and individuals out there that didn't take supplements. Especially given that I eat nearly 100% organic and all my animal foods are local, pasture raised, organic and grass-fed (beef), perhaps I'm getting more from my food than cronometer is able to tell me? I believe it is great to flood our bodies with nutrition, but giving how often information seems to change on supplements and how they work together it seems like in the end getting things exclusively through foods is the safest way.

Also, studies aren't usually done on people eating like us. They show effects of nutrients in the context of comparatively unbalanced eating. For example, I have read in several places of the importance of keeping our cal/mag ratio around 1:1. The trouble comes when there is imbalance in the ratio vs. the total quantity. There also doesn't seem to be much regarding those who eat less overall. I doubt that a 100lb. female requires as much of each nutrient as a 200lb. man. I want to be as healthy as I can, however I worry about either not getting enough nutrition from food alone, vs. the unknown risks of supplements. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these points....

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ I think your right on paleomom. Supplementation in isolation can be downright dangerous. I would much rather look at utilizing supplemental foods as Mark points out in this post:

14 Important Nutrient-Dense Supplemental Foods | Mark's Daily Apple

On days I don't make an egg dish I shoot 3 raw egg yolks. Eat liver 1x/week. Make and drink bone broth a few days a week. Ferment my own veggies and make yogurt. Get grass fed butter and cheeses. Plenty of shellfish.

One thing I've compromised on is fermented cod liver oil for my kids. Its a "food" in my view. They take it since they don't eat fish and liver like I do.

otzi Guest
    ^ I think your right on paleomom. Supplementation in isolation can be downright dangerous. I would much rather look at utilizing supplemental foods as Mark points out in this post:

14 Important Nutrient-Dense Supplemental Foods | Mark's Daily Apple

On days I don't make an egg dish I shoot 3 raw egg yolks. Eat liver 1x/week. Make and drink bone broth a few days a week. Ferment my own veggies and make yogurt. Get grass fed butter and cheeses. Plenty of shellfish.

One thing I've compromised on is fermented cod liver oil for my kids. Its a "food" in my view. They take it since they don't eat fish and liver like I do.
    I'm not big on supplements, but have been taking 5000IU Vit D3, kelp tablets, K2, and krill oil for several years.

The PHD recommends eating the following foods daily, calling them supplemental foods:
    3 egg yolks, bone broth, a mix of veggies, and dark chocolate

These foods weekly:
    1/4 poind liver, fish, 1 tbs of palm oil for vit E

They recommend these vitamins should be taken daily separate from from:
    D, K2, C, iodine

And these weekly:
    B, zinc, chromium

I have not changed what I take, still on just D3, K2, kelp, and krill, but I try to eat fish and/or oysters every day.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Otzi, I hope you're not taking the iodine daily. The one major issue with that is that too much iodine is just as bad for your thyroid as not enough. It can cause hyperthyroidism, or overactive thyroid. And iodine is what is known as a "bioaccumulative" meaning that you can take a large amount of it and it stays in your body available for use for quite some time. You do not need to supplement daily with iodine. 15 mcg a day of iodine is only necessary if that's exactly what you get because 15 mcg is what the thyroid uses in a day. It stores for some time and can be called on for later use however and we all know that seaweed and the like has FAR more than 15 paltry mcg of the stuff in it. I'd recommend taking the iodine no more than twice a week. Maybe even once would be more than enough due to the fact that it tends to stick around.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-13-2013 at 04:37 PM.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Just ordered the book, said i would while ago btu then was put off. Put off because no one can tell you how to live, you should jsut do what works for you, but i will give this a read to see if i can take something from it, thinking of going with Primal Connection too, but from what i gather it's more centred about lifestyle rather than food choices and whatnot? So in that sense it's not bad to get a picture of both.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love PHD, but I don't do well at all when I eat VLC. My body just starts to shut down and after reading PHD and adding in more carb calories I started to feel so much better (energy, allergies, and general aches and pains). Also the info on supplements was really helpful to me and finally gave me the push I needed to add liver and bone broth to my diet. Overall I feel amazing and found the advice in PHD helpful in ways the PB wasn't (for me at least). Had I found the PHD earlier it would have been easier for me to switch from SAD to paleo, which would have also meant finding the PB sooner.

I have to add that the part about fasting and getting sick is so true! We stay with family every year for several weeks at a time and as soon as I stop my daily 16 hour fasts to conform to their schedule I immediately get sick with whatever is circulating in the family at the time (with 7 cousins under 6 yrs old on a SAD diet there happens to be a cold or flu circulating at all times).
    Last edited by ErinF; 01-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast