Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect Health Diet - Newest Edition page 3

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    How does PHD justified a pound of starch a day w/out raising insulin?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    If you have issues with insulin, you may need a different strategy, but for the normal, healthy person the spike in blood sugar following a balanced meal containing 1/2 pound of starchy foods isn't so bad, and can be lessened by eating a fat or some vinegar alongside.

As to an 'insulin spike', you get that from protein as well, maybe even more so, and overeating protein isn't so great, either...the PHD kind of replaces excess protein with starch. Not a bad tradeoff in the grand scheme of things...

And, to prove my point about the future of paleo: Is low carb the best way to eat?

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Perfect Health Diet is a horrible diet for anyone with diabetes/blood sugar/insulin issues and Jaminet knows this. His diet is not designed for people with blood sugar and insulin issues in mind though, seems to be more for the general population with few health issues.

And otzi is right to point out that protein can raise insulin as much or more than carbs. However, it will not raise blood sugar NEARLY as much. The insulin spike is necessary from protein to help it reach the muscles for growth/maitinance.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    He does have a section on ketogenic diets for this or that as well.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    And, to prove my point about the future of paleo: Is low carb the best way to eat?
    Um, well just to provide some context for his whole rant. Approximately 70% of Americans fall into the fluffy middled, metabolic syndrome, or type I or II diabetics that he is recommending restricting carbs to 70-110g for.....

Thats over 2/3 of all Americans and likely to be a much higher percent of anyone adopting the paleo lifestyle for health or weight loss.

So who is his post really for? What it really boils down to is he is talking to the 20% out there happy with their weight and health AND the 10% out there that are pushing themselves in athletic competition and high end training. That's who most of his article is geared toward.

I have no problem with his perspective, except that I don't see fueling excessive exercise with excessive carbs to be a healthy thing. I do believe that his original premise is correct in that you trade health and longevity for short term athletic prowess. Maybe not so bad as a teen high school athlete, but certainly overtraining becomes more an more real as you approach middle age.

Also Robb is still on the get your carbs from root veggies type of thing rather than potato or rice....until you need those excess carbs then it seems like he's for sweet potato, but not a fan of rice.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-13-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I am so loving it!!
    I bought it on Kindle but realized I needed a hard copy,
    so looking for it from Amazon any day.
    Same here. I love my Kindle, but it really does not have the ease of flipping back and forth like a hard copy, which I think is necessary w/this book!

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I am loving the book so far. Reading about the nutritional stats of evolutionary biology, especially about how the macronutrient ratios of most mammals end up breaking down (whether herbivore, omnivore or carnivore) it just "clicked". I had been avoiding fruit and starches like the plague since I diagnosed myself with candida overgrowth, but I never experienced any benefit from doing so. I feel much better adding them back in. I had really missed bananas! Now I can have my beloved green smoothies again, and some baked sweet potato with dinner, a little white rice here and there, etc. It's so much more freeing eating this way, IMO. I don't have to be as strict, I can still eat intuitively, and so far I've been smack dab in the middle of the macronutrient ranges, without even trying.

I also love the PHD website. Paul has made himself so accessible and responds to so many of the comments, which makes the comments section just as good of a read as the blog post itself.

The PHD + the Shangri-La Diet = winner in my book.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Probably because there isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar, and insulin only accounts for a small percentage of what is perceived as "insulin activity."
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Oh, and if you haven't watched the Masterjohn video he links http://vimeo.com/52645372 to you really should. I've read a bit of his stuff here and there, but after watching his video I'm liking his perspective even more. Seems he starts with the premise that the body is intelligent. I.e....insulin resistance, AGE's, oxidation....we label these as "bad" from our perspective of health but that is a very limited view of body function. They are either intelligent responses to current environmental cues or internal necessities for communication and health. OK....to tie this back to the PHD he talks about amylase and starch tolerance based on number of gene copies in the very beginning of the vid.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-13-2013 at 07:53 AM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I never cared for the PHD website. I felt it was too much nutritionism. I think that's the word that Michael Pollan uses. I never cared much for the Primal Blueprint, either. Too much diet book language. I guess I just can't be pleased. The only diet books I have are Protein Power, The Paleo Answer and The Big Book of Health and Fitness. I follow none of them to the letter. I take from each (and from Mark's Daily Apple blog) what sounds right to me and end up with something like a no counting of carbs or calories Primal Blueprint sorta Paleo diet kinda Mediterranean thing.
    I think you almost have to do this to find what works for you. That is what I'm doing myself.

I do have to say I don't believe I will lose weight eating the PHD way and I feel better eating potatoes than rice so for me I think adding a few starches throughout the week is a good balance. I'm also thinking about cycling VLC with moderate to higher carb times, but not sure yet. All I know is that months of VLC left me depleted and then eating too much ice cream, almond meal cookies, and nonGMO popcorn. Getting way off track like that made me know I needed to have a more balanced diet that wasn't so low in carbs. Yet going VLC was the only way I could finally take off the weight, so now I need to find the balance.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast