Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect Health Diet - Newest Edition page 2

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I did VLC and totally primal to lose, just as Mark suggested, and had great success.
    Now, I've learned I need less protein, some starchy carbs, moderate fats and specific supplements.
    I feel better, sleep better, much happier cause I get to eat bananas, org potatoes and WHITE RICE!!!
    I have Mark's new book coming, loving his sauces cookbook now.
    Yeah I know white rice. It's nice to have read that in the book. I have been eating rice since I was a kid and never had problems with it. When I jumped on the paleo thing I realized it was the wheat that was causing my environmental allergies. I have to say I only eat rice on occasion since it's pretty high carb...I just try to add it on my workout days.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    It doesn't seem much different than PB... just a really good book with more info and science than PB and perhaps a bit higher in carbs.
    I'd say a pound of starch a day is a little more than a "bit" higher.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't eat that much, scares me, but my portions of everything are much smaller these days.

Mouse is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'd say a pound of starch a day is a little more than a "bit" higher.
    Actually, a pound of sweet potato works out to 96 grams of carbohydrate (Nutrition Data, based on 6g/oz). Add in a large banana (31 g carbohydrate) and you get 127 g of carbs. That's well within Mark's recommendation for weight maintenance (100 to 150 g of carbs).

I read the first edition of the PHD, and I just got my copy of the newest edition from Amazon.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I lost a lot of weigh on a low carb diet, gradually shifting to primal a # of months ago. I was super cautious about adding back too many carbs and attempted to get a healthy intake from lower carb veggies, but so many times they were not completely satisfying. Since reading PHD, I've cautiously added both white rice, sweet potatoes & white potatoes to my menu although not at every meal and certainly not in the amounts Jaminet recommends. I have found them to be extremely satisfying and filling and my digestive tract seems to be joyous over these additions. At my new lower weight I find that I cannot --- and probably will never -- want to eat the larger amounts of starches (or for that matter, anything), but this is just one example of useful information and well explained science that I've gotten from the book.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Actually, a pound of sweet potato works out to 96 grams of carbohydrate (Nutrition Data, based on 6g/oz). Add in a large banana (31 g carbohydrate) and you get 127 g of carbs. That's well within Mark's recommendation for weight maintenance (100 to 150 g of carbs).

I read the first edition of the PHD, and I just got my copy of the newest edition from Amazon.
    Mark's recommendation is to get most of that carb count from veggies though. He does eat starches, but not on a regular basis as I understand it. Certainly NOT daily.

Not saying the PHD is wrong, but that is one BIG divergence from the PB.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    .... and you get 127 g of carbs. That's well within Mark's recommendation for weight maintenance (100 to 150 g of carbs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Mark's recommendation is to get most of that carb count from veggies though. He does eat starches, but not on a regular basis as I understand it. Certainly NOT daily.

Not saying the PHD is wrong, but that is one BIG divergence from the PB.
    That was one of the key points for me. I feel better just adding them in, along with a few fruits. Before I was afraid to even have a Daily Apple, not if I still had any kind of vegetable. So one of the big things for me, was that PHD says not to count the carbs and calories from the veggies. And I know they don't have much of either, (and I know most say don't keep track anyways) but when you are trying to stay within a range of under 50, or under 100, or under 150, that loaded BAS would put you over so sometimes I was afraid to even eat that! So, that left something fatty or something protein as an option. But protein had a range also, so that leaves fat.

Well... PHD recommendation for fat loss, is to start by cutting out the extra fat. So just a simple little switch in the macros, made the difference for my fat loss to start up again. Also for fat loss, keep your carb calories to about 500. (add more if you are athletic)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I never cared for the PHD website. I felt it was too much nutritionism. I think that's the word that Michael Pollan uses. I never cared much for the Primal Blueprint, either. Too much diet book language. I guess I just can't be pleased. The only diet books I have are Protein Power, The Paleo Answer and The Big Book of Health and Fitness. I follow none of them to the letter. I take from each (and from Mark's Daily Apple blog) what sounds right to me and end up with something like a no counting of carbs or calories Primal Blueprint sorta Paleo diet kinda Mediterranean thing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I really liked the way the book was written. Lots of info, most of it I can understand.

I liked the section on supplements, and I liked the info on fasting. He stated things about fasting I had not heard before.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I really liked the way the book was written. Lots of info, most of it I can understand.

I liked the section on supplements, and I liked the info on fasting. He stated things about fasting I had not heard before.
    It's more of a reference book than a 'diet' book, in my opinion. They do have a small section on losing weight, but it's not the focus of the book. I think they are leading the way with inclusion of ample starches on a healthy, long-term maintenance type diet. That's what killed Atkins, nobody could ever successfully transition from LC to maintenance...many stayed in 'induction' for years. Not sustainable for long-term.

The confusing part of PHD is they don't tailor the plan for individuals, just give rough amounts like .5 - 1 pound of meat, for instance, and the macro ratios aren't hard and fast. I think when people get used to eating based on portion sizes and weights, they will like it better than trying to pin down magic ratios of macros.

I find it very intuitive, for me it means 2 potatoes a day (or a portion of rice/plantain/sweet potato in lieu of), 1 pound of veggies and fruit, and 1 pound of meat. That, being my core food for the day, equals about 1300 calories. I also eat nuts, chocolate, cheese etc... If I want to drop some weight, I'd stick to the core foods with no extras and even double up on the spuds and cut the meat.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast