Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oils used for frying? page 2

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Would that be the Frymal Blueprint? (Insert groan here.)
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL very clever !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I know olive oil is not to be used for frying/stir frying and coconut oil and lard sometimes impart too much of a distinct taste into food, so what other oils are ok (but perhaps not ideal) to use for stir-fry?
    Ghee. (butter that was melted and had the water/proteins left out).

After that, those other ones you list. Pretty much don't use anything else. Make your own to save money.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I know olive oil is not to be used for frying/stir frying
    Who told you that? Extra virgin olive oil is incredibly resistant to oxidation and is a very good fry oil. It has very high levels of antioxidants. Take it from Mark himself:

In one study, the authors heated various oils to “deep-frying conditions” and checked oxidative markers every three hours. The olive oils made it 24-27 hours of constant high heating before reaching the maximum legal value of heat damage. Not bad, and it’s not like you’re going to use your olive oil to deep fry anyway.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defen...ls-reputation/
    And mind you, this is basic olive oil. Extra virgin will perform even better. If you infuse it with an herb like rosemary, the oxidation resistance goes even higher.

I'm not sure why anyone would need to try over 400 degrees F. Deep frying is done around 360 degrees F. If you go hotter, it'll cook the outside too fast and leave the inside raw. If you go lower, it'll absorb too much oil and be a greasy mess.

For this temperature, extra virgin olive oil is useable. My personal favorite is ghee. It doesn't smoke til ~400 degrees, maybe a touch over, so it's pretty stable, the SFA content is super high with next to no PUFA so it is very resistant to oxidation and the flavor goes with everything. Of course, I don't deep fry often. The hotter you go, the more at risk for carcinogens your food becomes.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12