Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip off the bandaid? page

SheRa is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

For those of you who are successfully living the primal lifestyle do you think it is better to "rip off the bandaid" and cut out the grains, and other processed foods at once or ease in? I read the book and think I've searched for this but can't really find a good opinion.

I really believe in the science behind this but can't seem to get past a day or two. Generally, at first I just try to low-carb with the ultimate goal of switching to grass-fed beef and other naturally raised meats as well as local organic vegetables and fruits as available.

Any coping strategies would be welcome.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Rip it off. I mean I still do dairy, so maybe I didnt *totally* rip it off, but its def easier.

1. Stock up on fruits, veg, GOOD meat, GOOD fish, coconut and avocado oils, spices and seasonings. Personally I would reccomend stevia too.

2. Have a list of cool recipes to try, got excited about them (insert shameless personal blog ad rght here, see below actually).

3. Throw out or donate ALL pasta, oats, rices, cereal, grains, corn and anything tempting.

4. Sugar cravings will be crap for a few days, but if you can tough it out the REALLY go down after that. My vices are dried unsweetened cherries, dark choc, flavored coffees with cream, primal popsicles, and berries!

GOOD LUCK. Start a journal and keep us updated. We'll help you along and answer any Qs we can.

www.tarablogsabouteverything.blogspot.com

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

RIP IT OFF!

Keep some 'sensible vices' around for the cravings that just won't go away. For instance, some people crave cereal and 'Tara tootie' here made one with nuts and dates, which may have been heavier on the carbs than she wanted, but it was a good alternative to the grains.

I found that Dark Chocolate was (and still is) a good thing to keep in my purse for the times when you think you are going to rip someone's head off for a dang cookie/ shake/ piece of cake, etc.

I think you should rid yourself of all grains, corn, starches and simple sugars and then ease yourself into full Primal with the others. For instance, I still have dairy, which is not completely primal, but I allow it once or twice a week instead of daily. Maybe later, I will only indulge once a month.

My carb/ sugar cravings have drastically been reduced since going primal 30 days ago, so further 'modifying/ easing' into PB is getting progressively easier for me.

SF- hahaha, man I have to keep reliving that cereal thing dont I?! I guess it wasnt the best thing ever, but def prefferable to real cereal or cookies or something like that.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Cold turkey.

Think of going low carb as quitting smoking. And think of artificial sweeteners as your nicotine patch. You'll be fine after a couple of weeks.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

maba is offline Senior Member

I ripped it off too but still haven't gotten used to the idea of eating animal protein for EVERY meal. I'm longing for some pre-primal food, not because I'm craving it but because it would provide some variety. I made a pound of salmon 2 days ago and I have enough to last me for atleast another 3-4 meals. Can't stand the thought of eating it for 2 more days in a row! What do you guys do to add variety? I can't imagine spending every day cooking 2 separate meals (HD is still non-primal and vegetarian). Apologies if I have hijacked the thread.

Tara you're fine! It could've been worse!

(My first week of going 'primal', I ate bowels of peanut butter and honey!!! - Suffice to say, I hadn't read the book yet, nor had my cravings gone down completely ;-)

Yeeeaaah but Ive been primal since JAN! ANd doing really well, up until recently. LOL. Im back on track now, well whats what Ill tell myself.

SheRa- see, no ones perfect! Case in point: me.

Licarrit Guest

TEAR IT OFF!

It will suck and you'll feel like a heroin addict coming off the junk for a couple of weeks. But guess what, you are an addict! and your body will thank you. Have nuts, and dark chocolate around, binge on fats, Guacamole tastes just as good on cucumber as chips maybe better! search through the recipes here and find a bunch you like. Get rid of everything you shouldn't eat in your cupboards and fridge/freezer 'cause when you start trolling even the kid's fruit snacks will start to look good. Buy a bunch of eggs and have those for breakfast so you don't miss the carbs. Although it too me a while to be able to eat eggs without toast. If you need a fill in to get you through the first weeks pick up some eziekiel bread, it's sprouted so less "grainy" and some quinoa till you can really transition. The difficulty is really in the lack of imagination at first than the diet. I did it and I am a diabetic -I could live on sugar and be the happiest junkie alive or dead as the case would be.

LOL licarrit. I put avocadoes in everything. They really help you feel full.

I would def try to get excited about some new recipes. You might not even miss the grains if you are focused on a new food/style/cuisine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast