Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1g of Protein per Pound of Bodyweight page

PrimalFocus is offline Member

1g of Protein per Pound of Bodyweight

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I've seen this recommended on a few sites, and yes, I mean per pound of bodyweight not lean body mass. I'm curious if anyone subscribes to this and if so, how you accomplish it? As a 200+ pounder, I find getting this amount of protein in difficult to say the least.

Thoughts?

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    a bit to much I think...

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Greg has been a pioneer of getting body-building amounts of protein exclusively from whole foods. You might want to check his journal.

As for me, I aim for about 2g per pound of lean, which is about 250g a day for me, because I'm putting on muscle and I'm not too scared of gluconeogenesis. Most of that comes from bacon, eggs, pork/chicken sausage, beef and seafood, but I also take about 50g of zero-carb protein powder on an average day. However, I only counted calories once so my total protein intake is guesswork. I just eat protein until my appetite tells me to stop, and if it's my big meal of the day I chase it with a powder.

canuckgrl is offline Member
    Advice I received from Stargazer is 1g of protein per KG of bodyweight. There is 2.2lbs in 1 kg.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFocus View Post
    Hi,

I've seen this recommended on a few sites, and yes, I mean per pound of bodyweight not lean body mass. I'm curious if anyone subscribes to this and if so, how you accomplish it? As a 200+ pounder, I find getting this amount of protein in difficult to say the least.

Thoughts?
    What are your goals and are you a man or a woman? Do you have any known insulin resistance or thyroid problems? Imho, 1g per pound of body weight, lean or otherwise, is not appropriate for everyone.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I've always thought it was at least 1 gram of protein per pound of BW and upto 1.5 grams. I used to eat ~ 1.5 grams and I put on ten kilos (mixture of muscle and fat since I was still eating SAD) in 3 months.

So at 90 kilos you eat 200 g of protein a day.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    My macros are about 2 / 1 / 0,5 times bodyweight in kg - so for my 82 kg that would be approximately 160 gram fat / 80 gram protein / 40 gram carbohydrates. If you feel like you're lacking energy or are hungry add more fat. This is for maintenance.

If you want to gain more muscle add fat and protein. Too much protein is dictated by how much your kidneys can take. Usually far more than you're able to eat by whole food. Dunno how that changed with shakes. I think Dr M. Eades did a post on it on his blog, cannot find it right now.

Also, as always, drink plenty of water to keep your processes running and kidney flushed.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

PrimalFocus is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    What are your goals and are you a man or a woman? Do you have any known insulin resistance or thyroid problems? Imho, 1g per pound of body weight, lean or otherwise, is not appropriate for everyone.
    Hi there,

Ah, a little background is always good. I am a 36 year old male focused on weight loss. I have no known insulin resistance or thyroid issues. I have about 20-30 pounds of weight loss remaining to get down to a lean state. I am not looking to pack on muscle...yet.

Thanks!

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    Suki,

I have thyroid problems (Hashimoto's), I'm female and trying to loose some fat. Do you know how Hashimoto's might affect protein needs?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that the 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound has been debunked as far as gaining muscle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast