Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing lean mass but not fat page

kristin is offline Junior Member

Losing lean mass but not fat

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

So I have been primal since october and I have lost a couple of kilos. The widest part of my waist (aka my beer belly) went down from 36 inches to about 32 inches.

I walk a lot, at least half an hour everyday and more on most days. I also do power yoga work outs (something about lifting your own body weight do develop lean muscle).

I eat mostly vegetables, white meat, fish, pork, occasionally cheese and yogurt and I use a little olive oil every day. I read that I should increase my fat and protein intake, but I'm not too keen on adding more dairy because I suspect that I'm mildy lactose intolerant. And apart from the olive oil and natural fats found in eggs and meat, my preferred source of extra calories are almonds, cashews (occasionally because I will eat them until every last one is gone!) and pistachios.

First off, everything I have read says that I should not eat too many nuts. But I find that it is the easiest way to bulk up on the calories, otherwise I get 500-600 everyday. Is there anyone out there who regularly eats nuts and still loses weight?

Secondly, I noticed that my arms, legs and back are getting super toned, but I still have a lot of belly fat, and its not budging. What can I do about this???? Im really confused now because I don't know if I should eat more fat, or eat less fat or what!?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Belly fat is the most troublesome to get rid of, trust me. I was nowhere near fat when I started TPB and it still took me over half a year to get rid of the belly pooch. It takes time and very clean eating. I suggest you do HIIT cardio too.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    I eat a handfull of nuts almost daily from the start and am still losing weight. So far Ihave lost 20 kilo in 6 months
    I mix hazelnuts, macadamia, brazil, walnut, almond and cashews to get the different micronutrients each provides

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You could use coconut oil to get more fat in.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You are not losing lean mass- lean mass is the non-fat parts of your body, such as organs, bones, muscle, and connective tissues.

However, if your body has to carry extra weight, it does so as near to the center of mass as possible, to make it easier to carry. If all your fat was in your hands and feet, it would be very hard to move around. If you're losing fat, it is working. If it stops working, rethink some things (like nuts) and how much you eat of those things.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Ha, I'm losing weight from the extemities inwards too, I think it's normal, I think I may end up with a stange tennis ball sized lump of fat just below my belly button and nowt else
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

peril is offline Senior Member
    It is easy to overindulge in nuts so be careful with that.

Guessing here as you haven't provided much info, but if you're eating less protein than your body needs, your body will hand on to the weight it has. You could try eating more fatty meat for a few weeks
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

katiepotato is offline Member
    I have consistently eaten nuts since going primal in June 2012 and am still losing weight (14.5kgs so far, about another 3 to go). I'm 32, 5'6'', SW 81kgs, current weight 66.5kgs - but that includes a weird lump of fat over my right hip (sort of like a constant muffin top) which, although reduced, has yet to disappear! My middle is my trouble spot too though, and I think makes me much more focussed on results in that area than elsewhere on my body.

Four inches off your waist measurement in a couple of months is a great result, and as you mention that you're losing weight/seeing improvement in muscle tone I would say to stick with what you're doing now and give it some more time. If your results stall, then think about trying a few tweaks.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    My doctor told me to avoid nuts for the most part because while they do have protein and healthy fats, they also have a carb component and for people (like me) who have a metabolic type that is sensitive to carbs they aren't good. I tend to find since I went primal that I don't need to snack anyway.

As to losing muscle instead of fat, I'd lift weights a few times a week. Remember that in order to get your growth hormone going, you need to move your big muscles (quads, glutes). Compound exercises are great for this- do squats while you do your bicep curls for example. You get your workout done faster, and the HGH spurt will help you build muscle all over.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

kristin is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    You are not losing lean mass- lean mass is the non-fat parts of your body, such as organs, bones, muscle, and connective tissues.

However, if your body has to carry extra weight, it does so as near to the center of mass as possible, to make it easier to carry. If all your fat was in your hands and feet, it would be very hard to move around. If you're losing fat, it is working. If it stops working, rethink some things (like nuts) and how much you eat of those things.
    Thanks for that! A little teasing but I appreciate all your replies!

I dont think Im going to give my nuts any time soon, and yeah, its super easy overindulging and I'm guilty of that, especially cashew nuts. So now I buy and share and not keep any in the house. So, will try some resistance training and more fat, which apparently means that I should eat only enough to keep reparing the body. Working on finding my balance and this forum is really useful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast