Thread: Inadvertent IF question page

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member

Inadvertent IF question

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I have tried looking throughout the posts for an answer to this but they are quite extensive and I couldn't find one close. I had second run in during the past two weeks of some stomach problems (I think it may either be bad chicken in my not-so-great fridge or eating coconut oil on an empty stomach) and without giving TMI suffice to say it was unpleasant for an hour. This time around now and I still don't feel great in the stomach so I decided to do an impromptu and first IF of about 20 hours starting from lunch time. I do routinely fast for 13-14 hours M/F due to early shifts working at my gym, but not intentional.

I am very wary of IF as my brain, my nutritionist, and CW have continually harped on me that if I miss a meal regardless of hunger than my metabolism will slow down, my body will think I am in starvation mode, and will hang on to fat. My nutritionist tells me that because I had an active eating disorder for 7 years where I constantly restricted my food intake to unhealthy ranges (I was never underweight, however) that my metabolism is now so messed up that it can't tell me when I am truly hungry and will "freak out" and go into starvation mode on a dime. This is amusingly after last year having a "perfect" test result from her oxygen/CO2 metabolism measuring machine (yes I know this is not even near a great explanation of it)- meaning that I was not catabolic and was efficiently burning off my macronutrients with above average resting/fasting BMR. And no, despite this, I could not lose weight and was actually quite incapacitated with my Lupus at the time.

Now, my understanding is that maybe since I am in LC mode (I have eaten between 30-50 g a day now for 2.5 weeks and less than 70 for .5 week before that) that this all changes due to less effect on the insulin. My question is, can anybody explain how this works or provide any research to ease my mind?
    Last edited by trigirl85; 04-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    "Starvation mode" is one of the silliest CW myths out there. If a predator in the wild hunts and hunts, but comes back to the den with an empty stomach -- does it make sense for that predator to lose muscle and gain fat? Absolutely the opposite. It is in the predator's interest to become leaner, faster, and stronger, the better to catch prey on the next attempt.

This is more or less what happens to my body every other day. IF has been central both to my weight loss and muscle gain. After about three out of four of my regular workouts, I don't even eat. How's that for giving CW the finger?

Let go of your CW concerns, give it a 20-hour fast and see what your body thinks. You won't starve to death or cannibalize your muscle tissue in that time frame, I assure you! If you're low-carb adjusted, it shouldn't be physically difficult, although it will feel weird to skip your accustomed mealtime. I recommend working out lightly when you would normally be eating. Let your liver make lunch for a change!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I feel like eating I bust out 20 push-ups and slap myself.

NO PAIN NO GAIN!

Just kidding, but really, listen to Tim. I had the same doubts, and didn't think it would be at all possible to do this consistently but it honestly is and isn't hard at all. You eventually forget about eating all-together. I'm shifting into more of a Warrior Diet sort of lifestyle (eating a big meal once a day, later in the day) and finding that I really like it. Allows me to workout fasted, not worry about food for most of the day and have a little feast once a day where I really get in touch with my food. I sip some warm tea afterward and I feel a very nice warm feeling... probably from the warmth of the tea but I like to think of it as from a hard day's work rewarded with a good meal. Ideally, I would've hunted down this feast and my woman would have prepared it, that's what I say to her when I buy groceries.

"Woman, I have provided!"

(I cook most of the time, don't hurt me ladies!)

Quote Originally Posted by trigirl85 View Post
    My question is, can anybody explain how this works or provide any research to ease my mind?
    A great easy to read/understand source, read all the parts:

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...gy-production/

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    A great easy to read/understand source, read all the parts:

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...gy-production/
    That was a very informative article for a dummy like me, thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    That was a very informative article for a dummy like me, thanks for the link
    No problem, make sure to read all the parts, they really help to understand what goes on when we fast and how it's not inherently dangerous despite what we've been led to believe.

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that article was very informative and definitely eases my mind about this IF. I did get a bit hungry and weak last night and was fantasizing about breakfast which was distracting me from sleep for a bit, but I feel pretty good this morning.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    iniQuity, thanks for posting that link! I read Part 1 of that after my first-ever IF and it was really helpful. But somehow I missed that there were five other parts. Great stuff, no wonder IFing feels so good!

Congrats trigirl85, sounds like it's going well! Hope you had a good experience and that you really enjoyed your fast-breaking meal.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is a great multi-part article. There's a whack of really good information in there for both people who are versed in IFing and beginners.
    I grok, therefore I am.