Thread: "Well There Goes Your Diet" Says My Father-in-Law page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

"Well There Goes Your Diet" Says My Father-in-Law

Primal Fuel
    So my mother in law made a pretty decently primal meal today. Baked chicken breast, broccoli and cauliflower, with some fresh strawberries for dessert.

Oh yeah, and these absolutely irresistible oven-baked potato wedges. They weren't very big, and so I decided to treat myself to about 4 of them. My father in law says, "well, there goes your diet."

I just rolled my eyes. I didn't even bother to correct him that it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. The potato wedges were good and it was nice treat. My last treat was a diet soda I had with dinner last friday (far better than my 6 regular sodas a day I used to have).

We all deserve a little treat every once in a while... right?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Ain't nothing wrong with potatoes now and then. Just try to speak ill of Richard Nikoley's potatoes and see where it gets you.

Maybe you could just confuse your FiL with a line about up-regulating leptin and down-regulating ghrelin through moderate tuber intake during a low-fat, moderate-protein carb refeed. (or do I have that backwards? Hm.)

I once tried to explain to him how cable internet was faster than dial-up and all he said was, "no no no no... cable is only faster cos it's on all the time... that's it..."

::facepalm:: Luckily his son (my husband) doesn't have the comprehension issues he does.

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    LOL! Oh my goodness, people are so... erm... funny sometimes aren't they!?

I love good potatoes, and they are definitely something I indulge in once in a while. Mmmmmmmmmm!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that's the opposite of when I was on Atkins and one of my co-workers was like, "But you could have just ONE cookie..."

People have their own internal models of how the world works. Some models match real life more closely than others I guess.

Sterling is offline Member
    I usually have yams twice a week and white potatoes once/week. They don't comprise a lot of my diet, but when I eat higher carbs I'll eat 'em. I'm sure your father-in-law isn't supportive, right? And that's usually the very people criticizing what you eat if what your eating isn't on your 'plan', YET they don't even believe in it. It takes all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    I'm sure your father-in-law isn't supportive, right? And that's usually the very people criticizing what you eat if what your eating isn't on your 'plan', YET they don't even believe in it. It takes all kinds.
    He says he's supportive but like most people they are just WAITING for one slip foot and a good failure to scream "TOLD YOU SO!!! Now... EAT YOUR BREAD!!!"

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I always feel like that too... if I ever get sick, relatives are going to say "well there you go, so much for being such a health nut!" (never mind that most of that health-nut time was on the CW crap diet, and barely having a booze-free day for about 20 years....)

I've always tended to be a little bit too vocal about the things I care about - which people always interpret as being pushy or whatever - and I'm trying hard to learn to keep my trap shut. I don't know why people interpret varying life choices as personal insults, but they do.

batty is offline Senior Member
    projection. they are insecure about their own life choices and feel threatened and somewhat jealous when you achieve success by avoiding things they do not have the willpower to avoid. catching you in a slip up and tearing you down makes them feel better about themselves. its not entirely malicious, as i've had very close friends and my own mother do it to me on occasion. it's a real downer sometimes, but i'll be damned if i'm held responsible for others' lack of happiness with themselves!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    but i'll be damned if i'm held responsible for others' lack of happiness with themselves!
    +1

Like when my best friend said to me "all you need if one full cup of veggies, meat, fruit, and bread to loose weight. It's so simple... doing anything else is just a waste of time and money." Of course, she doesn't do this... as if this would work. She cites her college nutrition class as proof. ... Yeah...