Thread: Safe indulgences for sleep deprived mommy w. major sugar cravings?? page

shema is offline Senior Member

Safe indulgences for sleep deprived mommy w. major sugar cravings??

My very fussy baby is 8 weeks old and I am still barely getting any sleep. At nights I get about 1.5 or 2 hours tops at a time, for a total of about 4 to 5 hour.

The problem is that all the sleep deprivation is giving me wild sugar cravings. Some days I manage to tough it out. But last night which was especially rough led to really fierce cravings in the morning. I decided that rather than toughing it out I would make a healthy smoothie so that I wouldn’t be driven to something especially bad. I threw together some cream, full fat greek yogurt, blueberries, flax meal and a teaspoon of honey. (Note that I had given up flax but lately I find that adding it to my smoothies leaves me feeling more satiated and also seems to curb the sugar cravings).

Are there other QUICK and “SAFE” indulgences that you guys can suggest? So far I do dark chocolate covered almonds, smoothies are a favorite, and I’ve also thrown some dates and coconut butter into the food processor to make “truffles” but that requires a bit more time than I really have these days...

aerie is offline Junior Member
    Oh mama I feel your pain. I remember those nights all too clearly! Mine is still waking 1-2x night wanting to nurse but is big enough to walk to my bed and climb in herself now. She was SO fussy the first 4 months *sigh*.

As for the cravings, have you tried the coconut manna/butter? Eaten by the spoonful or when you have time melt it down and stir in some cacao nibs, goji berries or chopped dates, zest of orange or lemon. Pour into a pan lined with something, chill to harden and break into pieces to enjoy. That's a treat one.

I'd actually say hit up some fat with protein if you can. Smear cheeses on chunks of meat and devour It's quick.

I remember LOVING the caesar style salads with tons of shrimp and parmesan in the early weeks, heavy on the dressing!

I imagine you don't have much time to peruse blogs but there are so many primal and paleo ones out there FULL of treats and sweets and such. Such as: http://paleomg.com/category/treats/ , http://tgipaleo.com/category/dessert/

Just 2 off the top of my head. Get someone to make a recipe or 2 for you and keep in the freezer? People are more eager and willing to help in the early weeks. (Now my kid is 3 I have to twist arms to get a "baby" related favor lol)

Good luck? It does get better. Baby WILL sleep eventually, I promise

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Strawberries dipped in hazelnut butter is particularly decadent. Satisfies on texture, flavor, tastes like a gourmet dessert, and it's low/no effort.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    the paleomg blog is great BUT she does use honey/maple syrup a lot, which is fine, but if you're looking for something to eat all the time, personally, i would stay away from those. they are really "treats" in my book.
    having said that, the klondike bars are awesome and really satiating
    PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Coconut Klondike Bites

also, whip up a can of coconut cream with some heavy cream (maybe 1/2 cup or so), add cocoa powder. store in fridge. i cannot stop grabbing spoonfuls whenever i'm in there! it's like amazing pudding with a great creamy consistency and no added sweetner!

also, i would always balance out something sweet with something satiating...i.e., don't eat just dried fruit. apple + almond butter or fruits AND nuts or coconut + chocolate etc.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium supplementation can help your sleep & your sugar cravings. Try 400-600 mg Magnesium Citrate before bed (if you have constipation), Magnesium Glycinate if not.

campanella is offline Senior Member
    - fresh fruit. pears and apples, washed in advance en masse, and sliced fruit in the fridge.
    - chocolate- start at 80% and work your way up
    - sweet potatoes- roast and store in fridge for easy snackies

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Mash up an overripe banana, mix in a scoop of coconut cream and add some cocoa powder and mix it all up. No extra sweetener needed, and it's sooooo tasty. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over it, maybe some chopped roasted hazelnuts....delish!

belladabin is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yeah,agree it,Mash up an overripe banana, mix in a scoop of coconut cream and add some cocoa powder and mix it all up,thank you