Thread: Sweet potato question page

JACKIEBASEBALL is offline Junior Member

Sweet potato question

I found a Paleo list online. It listed Them as FOOD TO AVOID. I see them in Recipes listed on this very group or website. Can anyone explain? thanks

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    They are fine. Just beware of the carb content.
    For info on whether tubers are paleo look here:
    http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2009/0...es-part-1.html
    It's a four part series. Just sub 2, 3, etc. for the 1 in the above link and plug it into your browser.

Thanks, I was thinking about having one Post workout/Crossfit. That would be earlier in the day.

Sterling is offline Member
    Yams or sweet potatoes are fine in moderation, but they are very high in carbs yet relatively low on the glycemic index. I'd reserve them for after your hardest workouts involving your largest muscles.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat sweet potatoes. I honestly don't consider them paleo at all, and am not convinced that they are significantly different from some of the other forbidden foods. They are "New World" roots and quite starchy. I don't understand why they seem to compare favorably versus plain potatoes.

On top of that, I've seen sweet potatoes become crutches too many times from people who weren't really convinced of switching how they eat. If you couple the 80/20 principle with sweet potatoes you end up with folks who order their cheeseburger with sweet potato fries, toss one out of two buns away (in the name of 80/20) and call what they eat "primal".

All the above doesn't mean nobody could healthily have sweet potatoes. As mentioned in previous posts, some people may tolerate them in small quantities if coupled with regular and intense training. But for newbies, I suggest starting at the core before experimenting with the gray areas.

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    From what I understand is if you are going to eat them, make it only occasionally and make sure you have them a good serving of fat/protein mixed with to help blunt any insulin response. Its low on the GI scale already slow it down some more with the time of digestion.

Thank you for all the responses I will take all in to consideration.

nuttykitchen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sterling,

I agree with you. We make them in small quantities after heavy workouts and once in a while on days that are a bit more carb heavy. We still stay way under 130 g/per day regardless. They are great for rebuilding strength.
    Nutty Kitchen

cook for life!

Danimal is offline Member
    I eat them for the extra calories and the taste.. then again I'm trying to gain about 10-15 pounds back.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I see nothing wrong with a sweet potato now and again. I have them maybe 2-3x a month because im tryin to lose weight but they are great PWO