Thread: stir frying oil ? page

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member

stir frying oil ?

Shop Now
    I have never stir fried, but based on the high heat for good stir fry, what oil is safe at those temps? to me , olive oil smells when very hot, what is recommended.
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 01-11-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil works great. Olive oil is not meant for use at high temps.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is great, and probably ethnically sound. I also use goose fat and beef dripping.

Yes, cold-pressed oils are for salads - not great for cooking. Industrially produced seed and veggie oils are just awful and not worth eating (but you know that already). Animals fats are good - beef dripping rarely has a "beefy" flavour, but that would be good, too, as would lard.

If you'd like to read more about fats and what happens when you heat them, google the "Rancimat Analysis".

If this is the first time you've tried stir-frying, get yourself organised first ...

Prepare all the things you're going to cook in order of how long they need to be cooked. Also, don't be scared of cooking one thing in the pan, like meat, then removing it, cooking everything else and chucking the meat back in at the end to re-heat.

Stir-fry should be natural ... for people who hate cooking, stir frying should give even them a smile. Have fun.

will do. was not sure. used lard, worked well. stir fry is great. i now have a new meal on my menu! thanks!

Cool! Flash frying lean meat and veggies is dead simple ... the fun and the joy is getting it all in the right order and making something sublime. Glad it worked out for you.

chicken ,snap peas,broccoli,brussels,onions,some Worcestershire,salt ,pepper,basalmic, was the tastiest thing and fastest meal I have made in a long time, love it ! will try my hand at beef next!

Good work ... as I said above, flash fry some good meat off fish, set it aside, then cook the veggies and drop the meat back in at the end.

You're on your way now ...

Do check out Beef Dripping or Goose Fat. Both are really good for this.

a-ray is offline Member
    For stir fry I use Coconut oil and maybe sometimes a little bit of butter.

Butter? Pah! You'll get jumped all over for that! I jest ... naturally. I happily use butter for high-heat cooking. Why? Sometimes because I don't have anything else ... and it tastes good, with a clever flick of the pan which stops it burning.