Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to live for a Primal Lifestyle page

paleotaliban is offline Junior Member

Cool Best place to live for a Primal Lifestyle

Primal Fuel
    Apologies if my English isn't perfect!

Just some short background:
    After a short and successful online adventure I have saved some money(6-7 figures USD) and I will soon get my MSc in Engineering and it's time to get out into the real world. I've come to realize that I might be happier some other place than where I live right now. It's hard to live primal with long hard winters and people are not very tolerant to different lifestyles here. And my social life is a bit lacking with most of my friends having kids.

So I ask the forum, where in the world would be the best place to move to?

Things that I value:
    -Nice and temperate climate. Many days of 60-80F (15-25C) and not too many days when you just want to stay inside. Here we can have 3 months of -5F(-20C) and 9months of <60F(15C), it's just too cold, gray and rainy for my taste.
    -Options of being in beautiful nature and various exercise options.
    -Vibrant paleo/primal lifestyle community
    -Good organic food availability
    -Good work situation for engineers(employment, salary, taxes, housing)
    -Easy to meet new people for a semi-introvert/normal guy

What is the best place in your opinion?

What are your thoughts on:
    -San Jose/Silicon Valley
    -San Diego
    -Santa Fe
    -Barcelona
    -Where you live
    -Other place

Thanks a lot!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Cape Town!!! It's got a very California feel, but the weather is even better. It's laid back, has a vibrant boho community, and people are really into health and fitness. Plus it's beautiful - it's got the mountain and the sea. That's where I'd go.

San Diego would work well too, but the American visa is a nightmare to get.
    Barca is super cool, but mostly art-music-party driven.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    This has absolutely nothing to do with your original post, but I honestly cannot resist asking how you came to choose your user name? I have been intrigued by what, if anything, is meant by it.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Paleobird Guest
    I vote for San Diego but then I may be just a little biased on the subject.

paleotaliban is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Cape Town!!! It's got a very California feel, but the weather is even better. It's laid back, has a vibrant boho community, and people are really into health and fitness. Plus it's beautiful - it's got the mountain and the sea. That's where I'd go.

San Diego would work well too, but the American visa is a nightmare to get.
    Barca is super cool, but mostly art-music-party driven.
    Excellent answear. I had a great time in Africa last time. Not really sure about the safety and Cape Town is a bit far away from everything and not really sure about the economy. But maybe I should give it a try.

The VISA situation for USA makes it harder yes. I will try to get a hard and sought after degree, hopefully some company might want to sponsor me. Will have to look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with your original post, but I honestly cannot resist asking how you came to choose your user name? I have been intrigued by what, if anything, is meant by it.
    Not sure how it translates, but here we use taliban for somebody who is very fundamental about something. I can be a bit zealous with my paleo lifestyle running barefoot, eating raw chicken and stuff like that. Didnt consider that it might have different meaning in the states. Hope I dont offend anyone considering the tragic events 11years ago.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleotaliban View Post
    Not sure how it translates, but here we use taliban for somebody who is very fundamental about something.
    I think it means the same thing here. When my friends play poker, the dealer gets to call the wild card. If he wants no wild card, we call that "taliban" style.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleotaliban View Post
    Excellent answear. I had a great time in Africa last time. Not really sure about the safety and Cape Town is a bit far away from everything and not really sure about the economy. But maybe I should give it a try.
    I think the danger aspect in S.A is a bit overblown. I was always reticent to go, but I ended up spending two and a half months there last year and had the most amazing time. Sure, parts are dangerous, but you keep your wits about you.

Another advantage is that it's only 2+ hours GMT - which is convenient for keeping in touch with folk back in Europe.

AND, from what I know - the economy is steadily developing there. Gooo Cape Town!

cape_town.jpg

Saying all that though, San Fran would be my first choice. Such an amazing place. Damn you elitist American Visa administration..,
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I vote for San Diego but then I may be just a little biased on the subject.
    Paleobird, my little sister is going to UCSD right now and absolutely loves it. It's beautiful, from what I've seen of it myself. I'd put in a vote for Orange County since it is my home, but SD is nowhere sloppy seconds
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

thefoxfoy is offline Junior Member
    i agree with you,it means the same thing here. When my friends play poker, the dealer gets to call the wild card.thanks

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Paleobird, my little sister is going to UCSD right now and absolutely loves it. It's beautiful, from what I've seen of it myself. I'd put in a vote for Orange County since it is my home, but SD is nowhere sloppy seconds
    UCSD is a gorgeous campus right there near the cliffs overlooking the ocean.

Has little sis tried out Black's Beach yet, the nude beach right there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast