Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: money (or lack of) and primal eating page

Fern is offline Senior Member

Unhappy money (or lack of) and primal eating

My family has been primal for about a month and a half now and we think its the way to go, we are all for eating as much as we can primal. But on Friday our hot water heater went out and to replace it is going to cost us $3,200, we were barely making it before just buying grass-fed-finished meat now we have no chance of paying for this and still eating grass-fed-finished. So my question I guess is what do some of you guys do when or if you cant afford grass-fed and organic foods? Hopefully we can pay this off within the year and go back to the local farm I love so much for our food but that's just not an option I have right now. Thanks!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's not an option for me. The only way I can afford it is to cowpool/pigpool, so that's what I do. I don't pay regular retail for my meat.
    Call up your local butchers and talk to them. They can get you cheaper cuts for very little.

If you have to, you can go back to conventional meat and supplement Omega-3's. A lot of people do.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I don't know anyone who wants a half or even a quarter of a cow, I WISH I did. I was thinking about the supplementing thing but how much cod liver oil (I assume this is what I will need to take) to get me back in a good zone, I already take 3 pills a day, but I don't know how much that is. I use Carlson CLO pills in the lemon flavor gel caps although I don't chew them I just swallow them whole.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    I don't know anyone who wants a half or even a quarter of a cow, I WISH I did.
    I do! LOL I can't afford to eat how I'd like to either; I do the best that I can right now, but I don't stress about it. Believe me, when my finances improve, so will the quality of my food.

Here's a link that shows an effective way of reducing fat in ground beef: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/re...groundbeef.htm Please note: There *may* be some other hepful tips on her website, but I haven't looked in a long time, so if it's full of CW (and I have a strong feeling it is!) please disregard all that.

I was thinking about the supplementing thing but how much cod liver oil (I assume this is what I will need to take) to get me back in a good zone, I already take 3 pills a day, but I don't know how much that is. I use Carlson CLO pills in the lemon flavor gel caps although I don't chew them I just swallow them whole.
    I've been using the Carlson's Lemon-flavored liquid and surprisingly it's not fishy or unpleasant. I think it was on sale when I bought it (check Vitamin Shoppe's website!) and I bought the smallest bottle, which has 40 1 teaspoon servings. I've been taking it everyday for a few weeks now, and I've got plenty left.

Hope this helps!

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I am totally in that same boat. I am inches away from finishing my college education and i'm just about as many inches away from the poor house.

I don't eat grass-fed ( i don't even know where to find it where I live ) or organic. I stick to the rules about 96% of the time and i still see amazing results. My food bill has actually gone way down since I went primal because when I was tubby I ate a bunch more. Plus I'd drink about 6-8 Mt. Dew cans a day which was an expensive vice.
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I am in the same boat as well. I just can't make it work either financially or logistically. I live in the downtown core and I don't have a car or a big freezer so I can't cowpool/order in bulk online etc. I was just at the farmer's market today and saw a 500g package of organic butter selling for $9.99...... jeez! No can do, I'm afraid. I have started buying O3-enhanced eggs, and I go for the leaner cuts of conventionally raised beef. I feel absolutely incredible on my non-organic PB though, so right now I am trying not to stress about not eating organic....... I have bigger fish to fry at the moment!

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    I feel absolutely incredible on my non-organic PB though, so right now I am trying not to stress about not eating organic....... I have bigger fish to fry at the moment!
    Kudos!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    liver- chicken and beef....CHEAP!
    eggs
    big crock pot roasts- the fattier the cheaper

i wont buy "organic" veggies until i am convinced they arent just as genetically moified as their counters

Dryden is offline Member
    My family has been primal for about a month and a half now and we think its the way to go, we are all for eating as much as we can primal. But on Friday our hot water heater went out and to replace it is going to cost us $3,200, we were barely making it before just buying grass-fed-finished meat now we have no chance of paying for this and still eating grass-fed-finished. So my question I guess is what do some of you guys do when or if you cant afford grass-fed and organic foods? Hopefully we can pay this off within the year and go back to the local farm I love so much for our food but that's just not an option I have right now. Thanks!
    $3200 for a hot water heater?! Yikes! Is this one of those deals where you have to have a 100-gallon commercial setup so everybody can take a 20 minute hot shower?

jicamamama is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I hear a lot of people saying they cannot afford to eat grass-fed beef/organic food. I can relate to that. I live on a bare bones budget and cringe at the prices at Whole Foods. Whenever I walk into the store, I end up walking right back out again because the prices are INSANE (although the produce/veggie section makes me drool).

Eating healthy and organic shouldn't be an elitist activity, it should be the norm for everybody.

If I have extra money in my budget I will spring for organic items, but most weeks I have to buy the regular stuff. I guess I have turned my weekly grocery/household supply shopping into a game. I have fun trying to get the best possible deal on items at the store. There are a lot of little strategies I use to save money and stretch my budget. Last fall we purchased an energy-efficient freezer for the garage and my husband built me a shelving system for stockpiling items in an organized manner.

I only buy grocery items that are on sale or that I have coupons for. I have a list of items that I know my family will use in a given week and whenever those items go on sale, I try to buy a ton of them at the lowest possible. I shop at multiple grocery stores to get the best deal on items. Whenever I find that rock-bottom price on an item I will buy a ton and stock up.

There are a lot of frugal shopping and coupon websites out there. Just search around on google. Some of the coupon forums will show you store circulars a week prior to the actual sale. This allows me time to plot and plan my attack. I regularly order coupons from Ebay or coupon websites and combine them with in-store sales/Catalina deals/manufacturers rebates to get the lowest possible price. Often times that lowest price is free.

For example - one of the grocery stores in my area is having a massive sale on frozen veggies this week. There is a coupon out there that will make each bag of frozen veggies free after the coupon. I am buying a large stack of those coupons and will be filling my freezer. While frozen veggies aren't the best choice, they are better than nothing..especially during weeks where I have no money to buy the fresh stuff.

I am also a HUGE fan of the markdown bin at the grocery store. I regularly find great deals on organic/hormone free meats in the bin. Ask the meat department employee what time they mark down meats each day. That will give you first crack at the markdowns.

While my methods may not be the most "green", they have helped my family to survive an extremely tight budget.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!
    Last edited by jicamamama; 04-20-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast