Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade infant formula? page

primalmontana is offline Senior Member

Homemade infant formula?

Primal Fuel
    My friend is unable to nurse her 1-month-old. I plan on donating milk to her in a month or 2 when I have my baby. In the meantime, we were looking at Weston A Price's formula recipe. The only ingredient we can't get is raw milk.

Are there good substitutes?( I'm specifically wondering about coconut milk?)

Do you have a formula recipe you love?

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Can you get goat milk?
    I know my nephew was given that and did really well..(he couldent tollerate cows milk)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I second the goat milk suggestion. I have heard it's close in nutrition profile to human breast milk.
    I'm not well versed on the subject, so this is more of a hearsay, but cows milk is not suitable for infants. It has something to do with their too young bodies not being able to digest the nutrients properly.
    Last edited by Graycat; 01-11-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Typo

We can, but not raw. We live 2 hrs. Away from a health food store where we can buy local but always pasteurized and homogenized. I'm wondering if that is a decent substitute?

I was surprised to find that Weston A Price suggested cows milk, even if it is raw.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmontana View Post
    I was surprised to find that Weston A Price suggested cows milk, even if it is raw.
    I just did a quick google search, and the consensus is pretty much not to feed infants cows milk.
    A small segment of one of the of the articles:
    There are several reasons to delay the introduction of cow's milk until your baby reaches his first birthday.

Babies can't digest cow's milk as completely or easily as breast milk or formula. Cow's milk contains high concentrations of protein and minerals, which can tax your baby's immature kidneys. In addition, cow's milk doesn't have the right amounts of iron, vitamin C, and other nutrients for infants. It may even cause iron-deficiency anemia in some babies, since cow's milk protein can irritate the lining of the digestive system, leading to blood in the stools. Finally, cow's milk doesn't provide the healthiest types of fat for growing babie

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Can you get goat milk?
    I know my nephew was given that and did really well..(he couldent tollerate cows milk)
    I don't think goats milk by itself is a suitable replacement for breast milk. Do you mean a goats milk based baby formula?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

There is a goats milk formula recipe, as well as the liver one- also very hard to come by grass-fed liver in the quantities needed.

Very curious about coconut milk to substitute in the formula recipe!!??

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I don't think goats milk by itself is a suitable replacement for breast milk. Do you mean a goats milk based baby formula?
    All i know is that they gave him regular goats milk, not mixed with anything else (dont know if it was raw or pasturized.. This was in Canada but years ago) from what I understand its the closest natural substitute to human milk.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast