Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building muscle..time wise page

goinggrok is offline Senior Member

building muscle..time wise

My question is. How soon do you start to build muscle when you start to do more physical activity?

Is it hours, days, weeks?

Other than it becomes easier to accomplish, how do you know your building muscle?

Thanks

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    how soon do you start building muscle, or how soon do you start building muscle you notice? those are two different things. when you stress a muscle during a workout, you create little tiny tears in the tissue. as the tissue rebuilds, it gets bigger and stronger. so, technically, you're building muscle in the first days of exercising.
    but, building muscle that you can actually notice takes longer. i think it's about 6 weeks, but i can't be sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    how soon do you start building muscle, or how soon do you start building muscle you notice? those are two different things. when you stress a muscle during a workout, you create little tiny tears in the tissue. as the tissue rebuilds, it gets bigger and stronger. so, technically, you're building muscle in the first days of exercising.
    but, building muscle that you can actually notice takes longer. i think it's about 6 weeks, but i can't be sure about that.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I am struggling at the moment, I am not a huge fan of exercise, mild/moderate at times.
    But I started to implement riding my exercise bike and lifting 10 lb weights with my arms in the last week.
    What I don't like is that I feel hungry, my clothes are fitting tighter and I have gained weight. This isn't the direction I was hoping it was going to take me. Frustrated at the moment.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goinggrok View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I am struggling at the moment, I am not a huge fan of exercise, mild/moderate at times.
    But I started to implement riding my exercise bike and lifting 10 lb weights with my arms in the last week.
    What I don't like is that I feel hungry, my clothes are fitting tighter and I have gained weight. This isn't the direction I was hoping it was going to take me. Frustrated at the moment.
    hunger, slimming down, and losing weight are all overwhelmingly related to diet more than exercise. so, for now, just eating primal will make you feel better and get to a place where you might be more comfortable exercising. then, once you get a taste for primal movement, you'll start to feel invincible. but, it all takes time.
    keep on that stationary bike, take a walk whenever you can, play, and put a lot of attention on what you are eating. frustrations will come and go. the best exercise you can do is to practice patience.

Koobs is offline Member
    Depends on how much activity, what kind, and what you eat. And a million other things.
    If you want to put on muscle mass your best bet is to lift heavy weights 2-3x a week. Full body routine. Squats, deads, the works. Stick to compound movements. Eat lots of protein. Watch your muscles grow.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Changes occur immediately on a neurological, metabolic, and even structural level.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Are you female? You may not see huge muscle changes, especially lifting only 10lbs. I am lifting heavy as I can (since October) and I can feel muscles all over that I didn't have before. But I can't really see visually any difference anywhere.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Are you female? You may not see huge muscle changes, especially lifting only 10lbs. I am lifting heavy as I can (since October) and I can feel muscles all over that I didn't have before. But I can't really see visually any difference anywhere.
    Yes and damn near identical to your stats...i only lift 10 lbs cause I have bad neck and shoulders. In fact after snow shovelling 4 times yesterday, its out of whack again Funny thing is that even with what I have done physically. I don't feel any aches or pains. I even do 1 min on 9 resistance on my bike (second highest) Haven't had any leg pain at all. This is just so weird for me. I almost want to stop being active to lose the numbers on the scale

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Measurements are going to be a better indicator of weight loss than the scale. Muscle weighs a lot. You could be losing fat and gaining muscle, and that's what's making the scale go up. Just measure your waist, hips, arms and thighs every week and stay off the scale for a while.

I think it varies wildly person to person, but I, for one, build muscle extremely quickly. Whenever I ramp up my strength workouts, my scale number goes up by as much as five pounds.

As for the exercises you're doing, if you can't lift heavy, I'd recommend bodyweight exercises rather than the 10lb dumbbells. You'll make faster progress and the movements will be more balanced and functional. Pushups, air squats, pullups (if you have a bar), handstands against a wall, etc. All of these movements can be modified down to a suitable level for beginners, and there are great explanations in the Primal Blueprint Fitness ebook.

Diet is going to be your silver bullet when it comes to getting lean.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by goinggrok View Post
    My question is. How soon do you start to build muscle when you start to do more physical activity?

how do you know your building muscle?
    You start building muscle as straight after you start stressing them enough. You know you are building/improving muscle because when strength training you find you can do more. Unfortunately for me, when I started my food and fitness regime I was really way overweight and so whatever muscle I've been building is still hidden by blubber.

I will now start taking waist/chest/hip/bicep/thigh and calf measurements because I have virtually stopped losing weight and I am hoping that I am turning fat to muscle.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast