Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Diet Coke DETOX, worse than booze ! page 6

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, no. Caffeine stimulates metabolism, which drives need for glucose up. Simply keeping your glucose storage up will negate all stress related symptoms associated with caffeine in which it is only a powerful antioxidant with tremendous benefits.

Caffeine is especially protective for mental health and caffeine consumers have less suicide rates. It's well documented. Also, even mainstream sites take notice of the benefits it has on mental health in women: Coffee Drinking Linked to Less Depression in Women - NYTimes.com

this is because it has a strong parallel to progesterone, stimulating its production. We all know progesterone opposes estrogen.

I bet you anything your only problem was you drank coffee black on an empty stomach or only alongside a bunch of fat only.
    I think for the OP the problem wasn't the caffeine anyway. I think it was all the other artificial chemicals and crap in that junk, particularly aspartame, that were/are causing his issues and withdrawal symptoms. Even if you discard the caffeine argument as bunk, you can make several good arguments for why it's still a great idea to eliminate diet sodas from consumption.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I think for the OP the problem wasn't the caffeine anyway. I think it was all the other artificial chemicals and crap in that junk, particularly aspartame, that were/are causing his issues and withdrawal symptoms. Even if you discard the caffeine argument as bunk, you can make several good arguments for why it's still a great idea to eliminate diet sodas from consumption.
    Aspartame is more researched than almost anything within food products, and there are no scientific documentation to show that aspartame is harmful to humans in reasonable amounts...

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Aspartame is more researched than almost anything within food products, and there are no scientific documentation to show that aspartame is harmful to humans in reasonable amounts...
    But if he was consuming as many diet sodas as it seems he might have been, was it reasonable amounts that he was consuming, or did he exceed that?

And for that matter, there have been very few guidelines published as for what can even be called "reasonable amounts" of most artificial sweeteners. I'm not saying these sweeteners are necessarily harmful, I would just like to see more research done on the subject that ISN'T funded by people who have a demonstrated interest in proving them harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    But if he was consuming as many diet sodas as it seems he might have been, was it reasonable amounts that he was consuming, or did he exceed that?

And for that matter, there have been very few guidelines published as for what can even be called "reasonable amounts" of most artificial sweeteners. I'm not saying these sweeteners are necessarily harmful, I would just like to see more research done on the subject that ISN'T funded by people who have a demonstrated interest in proving them harmless.
    Humans must work very, very hard to get "unreasonable amounts" of aspartame to get the same amounts that they fed to rodents in certain scientific studies! I would guess on many cases of diet coke per day, or more than thirthy bottles(!) day in and day out for years, so no reason to continue to stress about what is considered very safe. Pure sugar or HFCS on the other hand...

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Aspartame gives me a nasty headache.. Usally within minutes.

I did a fair bit of searching for info on it a few years ago and came to the conclusion that its a nasty substance that shouldent be legal to sell but its amazing how money trumps ethics.

Just try googling "FDA aspatame complaints"
    Heres the first thing that came up(fda own website ) http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dai...emc-000199.txt
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, no. Caffeine stimulates metabolism, which drives need for glucose up. Simply keeping your glucose storage up will negate all stress related symptoms associated with caffeine in which it is only a powerful antioxidant with tremendous benefits.

Caffeine is especially protective for mental health and caffeine consumers have less suicide rates. It's well documented. Also, even mainstream sites take notice of the benefits it has on mental health in women: Coffee Drinking Linked to Less Depression in Women - NYTimes.com

this is because it has a strong parallel to progesterone, stimulating its production. We all know progesterone opposes estrogen.

I bet you anything your only problem was you drank coffee black on an empty stomach or only alongside a bunch of fat only.
    Take note of the third paragraph in the article:
    "Dr. Albert Ascherio, an author of the study and professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, said it was too early to recommend that women load up on extra lattes. More research is needed, he said, and “a very high level of caffeine can increase anxiety” and insomnia, potentially reversing any mood-lifting effects."

Note that the doctor said "a very high level" of caffeine. A McDonald's cup of coffee has about 66 mg of caffeine in it. If you drank 6 of those, that'd be about 400 mg of caffeine. That actually is a lot, unless you're used to it, but might be too much for some.

Now take into account that a lot of energy drinks have 200 mg of caffeine in them, some even more. If someone drinks 4 of those per day plus sodas, I'd say that's A LOT!!! And in my experience, it's NOT good for you. That's why I'm trying to kick it for a while, so I can later go back to something normal such as a few cups coffee or tea per day and thats it.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Take note of the third paragraph in the article:
    "Dr. Albert Ascherio, an author of the study and professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, said it was too early to recommend that women load up on extra lattes. More research is needed, he said, and “a very high level of caffeine can increase anxiety” and insomnia, potentially reversing any mood-lifting effects."

Note that the doctor said "a very high level" of caffeine. A McDonald's cup of coffee has about 66 mg of caffeine in it. If you drank 6 of those, that'd be about 400 mg of caffeine. That actually is a lot, unless you're used to it, but might be too much for some.

Now take into account that a lot of energy drinks have 200 mg of caffeine in them, some even more. If someone drinks 4 of those per day plus sodas, I'd say that's A LOT!!! And in my experience, it's NOT good for you. That's why I'm trying to kick it for a while, so I can later go back to something normal such as a few cups coffee or tea per day and thats it.
    This is because caffeine inhibits platelet aggregation, which in turn helps inhibit the formation of serotonin. Mainstream belief is that serotonin is the happy hormone. It's not. I didn't link that article for its sound science, just to show a particular side.

I agree, whenever I drank diet coke in higher doses before I would get a migraine likely from the aspartame. Some people are very sensitive to free aminos.
    nihil

peril is offline Senior Member

Many of us do this with problem. No need for glucose boosts. OTOH, a caffeine addiction is a nasty thing and Ripped is right to try kick it. My wife says that I was less bearable giving up coffee many years ago than when I gave up tobacco. Now I can enjoy coffee, especially when fasting, without needing it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

SavedbyKate is offline Junior Member
    I am having a really hard time quitting diet coke. I was eating a diet very high in process carbs, sugar and lots of diet coke. My first 3 attempts at going Primal "cold turkey" failed because I was completely not functional starting day 2 and wasn't any better by day 7. on my 3rd attempt - on day 4 I had a diet coke and this seemed to help my symptoms enough that I didn't slide on food. I am now a month completely primal except for 1-2 diet coke a day. I am hesitant to give up the diet coke because I feel like the withdrawal symptoms from the diet coke make me want to eat carbs and sugar.
    I would like to give up the diet coke. I don't believe it is healthy and I also believe that as long as I am drinking it there is a chance of my habit growing back to the 6-8 cans a day I use to drink. I have heard people talk about thinks they do to minimize the symptoms of "carb flu" - does anyone know about anything I can do to minimize the symptoms of diet coke withdrawal?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SavedbyKate View Post
    I have heard people talk about thinks they do to minimize the symptoms of "carb flu" - does anyone know about anything I can do to minimize the symptoms of diet coke withdrawal?
    If you really want to quit, try to drink plenty of black coffee instead...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast