Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet Coke DETOX, worse than booze ! page 4

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I can't drink anything out of a can because I'm afraid there's a rat carcass on the bottom.
    Joanie, this came straight outta' left field, but is funny as hell! It reminds me of the day as a kid when I opened up a can of green beans to find that half the volume was missing... but as a replacement, there sat a big old green canned grasshopper!

Blarrrgh.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Crabcakes, your experience vindicates me to all my friends who think that particular fear of mine is unwarranted!

I also never ate at KFC once I heard the urban legend that some woman found a crunchy deep fried rat in a bucket. I'm a sucker for just about any story about processed food and a rat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Okay here's my bias I've always felt that sugary drinks are for kids.
    For you people watchers out there: watch kids when they eat sugar, or especially a sugary drink. I was once in a crowd with an ornery kid. Mom gave him, I think it was an orange soda, with a straw. The kid instantly went silent and thoughtful as he sucked down a good 16 oz of artificial goodness. I was stunned. It didn't look that different from a junkie shooting heroin.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I didn't mean to imply that kids should eat sugar, I should have worded it better, but that sweets such as sodas appeal to a child's taste. Most children can not fathom how adults can drink bitter things, like coffee and alcohol w/o the addition of sweet flavors to off-set the bitter. My viewpoint probably has to do with my age and upbringing, as a child I never saw adults drinking soda and we kids only got soda on special occasions. It was not something we had in the fridge at all times, we were accustomed to having a pitcher of water in the fridge if we wanted something cold to drink. I do not think children should be given copious amounts of sugar, I know what sugar does to kids.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that kids should eat sugar, I should have worded it better, but that sweets such as sodas appeal to a child's taste. Most children can not fathom how adults can drink bitter things, like coffee and alcohol w/o the addition of sweet flavors to off-set the bitter. My viewpoint probably has to do with my age and upbringing, as a child I never saw adults drinking soda and we kids only got soda on special occasions. It was not something we had in the fridge at all times, we were accustomed to having a pitcher of water in the fridge if we wanted something cold to drink. I do not think children should be given copious amounts of sugar, I know what sugar does to kids.
    Stephen Guyenet did a great article on this.

Basically, as kids we love sweet and salty, the very basic stuff. As we get older, the bitter foods start to appeal more. It has to do with the rewards of bitter foods. For instance, alcohol, dark chocolate, and coffee tend to all turn off kids. However, all three offer drug induced rewards, which allow us to easily grow a liking of them.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Crabcakes, your experience vindicates me to all my friends who think that particular fear of mine is unwarranted!

I also never ate at KFC once I heard the urban legend that some woman found a crunchy deep fried rat in a bucket. I'm a sucker for just about any story about processed food and a rat.
    Try that urban legend debunking site thingy - Snopes or something like that. It probably had that in there.

You got me on a roll here... once, again when I was a kid, I took a huge swig of my daddy's soda pop, only to find that my dad had stopped drinking the soda and used the liquid to (hold your mouth, this gets bad...) - douse his cigarette butts. I got the heaves from that one almost instantly.

I do also have a fear of cans, but mine concerns open cans outdoors during the warm weather months - the yellow jackets. I have this irrational fear of one of those mean little shits being in there when one of my kids takes a drink. To solve that, we use closed jugs - those huge jugs that actually are coffee jugs, from our local gas station, with the snap-on top and one tiny hole, just big enough for a straw.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I was a volunteer on the ambulance for many years and what got me re coke, was they used it to dissolve the blood off the road after a nasty !!! It also takes short work to dissolve a nail ........so my concern is, what is it doing to your insides if this is true ????
    Not judging Gorbag - My children drink it, but I refuse to buy it for them.......and they are 27, 25 and 17....so I suppose I can't force food choices on them
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    there was that old joke...... whats worse than finding a half eaten maggot in your chocolate bar...........
    I could never think of anything worse !!!!!!!
    Oh yes I can....you know when you take a plaster off, fold the edges over and then bin it ?....... well a friend of mine was chewing on a crumbed scallop....yep....that was in there !!!!!!!
    ....... the mind boggles..........
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I like some diet sodas and if i have one on hand, i'll have some. I rarely buy it these days. I don't terribly miss it if there's none around.
    The aspartame is probably bad enough, but the bone calcium leeching phosphoric acid is even worse imo.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Good news for everybody; no maggots has been obseved in Diet Coke to this very day! On the other hand, lots of maggots has been obseved in primal food such as beef liver and meat - so watch out! - the maggots loves your meat, but they don't like to drink diet Coke...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast