Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet Coke DETOX, worse than booze ! page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Worse than booze, but less withdrawal symptoms than meth and heroin I hope? I think itís probably the total amount of caffeine, especially if you also drink some coffee or tea in addition or perhaps chocolate? I drink around the same amount as you and I can feel the caffeine effect sometimes, especially when also drinking coffee and tea throughout the day. No plan for quitting here though, I plan to continue as a Diet Coke junkie to the bitter endÖ

oh man..I was ranking about 2-3 L of diet come a day too.finally droped it on 12/1/12 but it took almost a month for the withdrawal symptoms to go away...headaches,body aches,feel like you have a fever,overall bitchyness...it sucked.& even though I still want one some mornings,I feel a LOT better without them.you can do it...it just really really sucks for awhile. I def think it was harder to give up diet coke than the pack to two packs of cigs I was smoking a day...& that's saying something.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Just to see how "addicted" I am to various things, I have abstained from Diet Soda, carbs, wheat, coffee, all caffeine (including chocolate), and even meat at various times in my life.

Really, the only thing that ever really affects me is carb withdrawal. When I quit carbs, days 2-4 are brutal, then I'm great. I can quit caffeine, no prob. Diet soda? No big deal, no side effects. Wheat? I notice no difference with wheat or without.

Of course, we are all different, but I do allow myself a couple diet sodas a week for enjoyment. I only have them with meals now, to ensure my body is getting calories at the same time as I am getting the sweetness, which IMO eliminates the added hunger diet soda is theorized to give you after drinking.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    This is very much how I feel when I DO drink that stuff. Aspartame is really bad stuff. I notice the cleaner my body is the more the feeling is pronounced. I actually feel like aspartame is about the most toxic thing you can buy at the grocery store.

thedannymartin is offline Junior Member
    Ha @Gorbag - Defo less than Heroin. (And booze without meds, which can be lethal obvs)

I'm relived to know I'm not the only one who has fallen into this trap, just glad I'm getting out. It's taken me 3 weeks to sort of feel normal, hopefully next week I will be fighting fit.

If I tried to drop the caffeine and dairy now aswell I'd probably just have to lock myself in a cage for a month

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    This is very much how I feel when I DO drink that stuff. Aspartame is really bad stuff. I notice the cleaner my body is the more the feeling is pronounced. I actually feel like aspartame is about the most toxic thing you can buy at the grocery store.
    Sure. Maybe I should try to inject the stuff then...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Caffeine is a bitch to ditch. When I quit smoking, I had feelings of anxiety, and often wondered what to do with my hands. When I tried (misguidedly) to ditch all caffeine, I had headaches and turned into a total bitch. I love my espresso in the morning, and occasionally another no later than 5pm.

Aspartame may be poison, but I still use between a half to one packet per day. I haven't noticed any difference when I completely abstain, but maybe if I used a lot and often I would.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Worse than booze, but less withdrawal symptoms than meth and heroin I hope? I think it’s probably the total amount of caffeine, especially if you also drink some coffee or tea in addition or perhaps chocolate? I drink around the same amount as you and I can feel the caffeine effect sometimes, especially when also drinking coffee and tea throughout the day. No plan for quitting here though, I plan to continue as a Diet Coke junkie to the bitter end…
    Why? You're clearly not here for your health
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Never had a soda habit, but I imagine cutting out coffee entirely would be like that for me. I could never imagine drinking soda excessively---that stuff burns going down.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by thedannymartin View Post
    Ha @Gorbag - Defo less than Heroin. (And booze without meds, which can be lethal obvs)

I'm relived to know I'm not the only one who has fallen into this trap, just glad I'm getting out. It's taken me 3 weeks to sort of feel normal, hopefully next week I will be fighting fit.

If I tried to drop the caffeine and dairy now aswell I'd probably just have to lock myself in a cage for a month
    Lots of us are still tea, yerba mate, and coffee drinkers, so there's no need to cut caffeine unless you think it may be adversely effecting you in some way. I've heard people say that caffeine is not "paleo-compliant" but then, I just read a book on the history of tea that says that there is evidence that ancient men who lived in the regions of China where the tea trees were native have probably been eating the leaves of the plant for over 20,000 years, so...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast