Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Steak In Oven: I need to tell you that page

Artem is offline Junior Member

Cooking Steak In Oven: I need to tell you that

Shop Now
    Hello dear PB mates!

Have you ever tried cooking steak in oven? Leave it...have you ever tried cooking ANY MEAT in oven? (that includes chicken)

Was it dry? Like seriously dry?

I always had a similar issue. I still can recall my mom's oven-cooked pork, chicken and beef...they always came out dry. I grew up believing that it was the only way! Then came Heston (Blumenthal) and said that this is all wrong. Loved it! His approach in many things is "low and slow" - something we really forget about during our fast living...sorry for the off-topic.

He basically says that cooking at high temperature makes all the moisture evaporate at very high rate. As moisture evaporates, meat becomes dry and flavorless!

So, what should you do?

Cook at lower temperature for longer time and you will get superior results all the time!

Here is my experimenting. I hope you'll like it!

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Try a Tangine to cook your meat in... all day on the hob on low (with a diffuser to keep it even cooler)
    You know its good when you can cut it with a spoon
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I am about to embark on an experiment in sous vide cooking, which is cooking meats in a vacuum sealed bag in a water bath at lower temps, followed by a quick sear on a grill or pan. Based on a first try in a cooler while adding hot water periodically and monitoring closely for 2 hrs, I researched, built and tested a DIY sous vide temp controller and water heater. Will test on meat this weekend. So excited I can hardly stand it.

Artem is offline Junior Member
    DinoHunter, thanks for the hint! Oh, I know this feeling...

OneDeltaTenTango, I am familiar with sous vide: you will get awesome results! I am sure you are aware of it, but be careful with botulism =/

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Salt the steak to taste (I like to butter or drizzle olive oil as well), preheat oven to 350F (convert to C), get an oven safe frying pan really hot, add fat of choice, lay steak in for 1-2 minutes, turn and pop pan in oven for 5 or 10 minutes depending on thickness of cut, remove and LET IT REST, covered for 10 minutes more. Perfect every time. If you don't rest it the juices flow out and the steak will be dry.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Artem, I like your fastidious experiment , I'll have to try your method next time I cook a steak.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artem View Post
    DinoHunter, thanks for the hint! Oh, I know this feeling...

OneDeltaTenTango, I am familiar with sous vide: you will get awesome results! I am sure you are aware of it, but be careful with botulism =/
    Thanks. Very much aware of the botulism issue and am satisfied with the narrow temp control range I am getting so feel pretty comfortable with it.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    I saw a blog post about cooking whole chickens or large beef roasts in the crock pot, no additional water needed: the trick is to put the meat on top of a bed of chopped onion and cook on low. I believe with this method, the onion supplies enough water content to get it cooking and keep it from burning. I haven't tried this myself yet, but want to. It may also work with a bed of celery, if someone has onion allergies. The crock pot is nice because almost all of the original liquid is kept inside (at least on low heat).

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I bake (not broil) steak at 350 for 8 minutes, then do 2 minutes/side in a frying pan with butter. Usually comes out pretty nice.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I bake (not broil) steak at 350 for 8 minutes, then do 2 minutes/side in a frying pan with butter. Usually comes out pretty nice.
    Interesting. I always take care of the sides before the baking. Baking is just for thicker steaks (close to 1" or over) or to get beyond medium (Boyfriend doesn't like any variety of rare), or if the steaks weren't at room temp when I started.

I don't usually cook meat over 375F and don't have issues with dryness. Then again, I'm usually baking chicken with the skin on.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast