Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Steak In Oven: I need to tell you that page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you can find Alton Brown's method of cooking a steak, which is to basically sear (seer?) it in a cast iron pan and then into a 500F oven for a few minutes, it looked pretty fool proof.

I use a covered clay cooker in the oven for most of the meat I don't cook on the stove or grill. It takes a little longer, but it comes out moist and tender.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I do steak in the oven- on broil. I broil first side until the fat starts to brown, flip it and broil the other side until the fat starts to brown, then turn the oven off and leave the steak in there to finish. I like rare so as far as I'm concerned it's done right then, but my boys like well done so about 5 minutes in the oven with just heat but oven off makes a 1/2" thick steak well done but still juicy.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I just wave my steak in the general direction of the flames... Never had a dry one yet (yeah, I like mine rare)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I cook all kinds of meat in the oven. Bake at 475 for 20 25 min, then reduce heat to 350 for about an hour. It always comes out tender and juicy.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Interesting. I always take care of the sides before the baking.
    That's usually the recommended method. I tried it that way but found bake-then-grill worked better.

slee11211 is offline Junior Member
    I found the BEST technique to roast chickens and the easiest ever...will never go back it's so good. You pre-heat a big fry pan (or dutch) in a 450 oven. While you're doing that, you cover chicken in whatever you like (lots of olive oil, celtic sea salt, pepper, herbs, touch of wine). When hot, place trussed chicken breast side up right onto pan (it will start cooking immediately). Put back in oven for 30 mins (4lb chx - adjust a few minutes either way for lbs - like 35 mins for 5 lb, etc). Then, turn oven OFF (don't open) and leave chx in for another 30 mins (adjust for lbs). Take out and remove chx from pan to a dish, tent with foil and let rest for 20 mins. This is the best part...there will be drippings in the pan that you then leave on stove and reduce. Add wine and broth and keep reducing a tad to intensify flavor. This makes literally the best roast chicken ever. Very moist, never overcooked, crispy skin. Beautiful gravy. Enjoy!

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Steak, you clip its horns, wipe its butt, and send it on in. I like my steaks rare.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Wow, good suggestions, will have to try them all. Well, not the rare one, lol.
    Thx for posting, Artem, your pics look great.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Cooking a tri-tip roast in the oven tonight. 10 minutes at 550 degrees, 20 minutes at 350, then under the broiler till there's a crusty edge (about 5-10 minutes). Remove from oven, let sit 20 minutes, carve. Always comes out medium-rare in the middle and well-done on the thinner edges so everyone in the family is happy.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

angekfire is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    I saw a blog post about cooking whole chickens or large beef roasts in the crock pot, no additional water needed: the trick is to put the meat on top of a bed of chopped onion and cook on low. I believe with this method, the onion supplies enough water content to get it cooking and keep it from burning.
    I did a whole chicken in a crockpot a week or 2 ago with no water. Lined the bottom with onion, celery, and a ton of garlic (about 3 heads of garlic), seasoned it with fresh thyme, parsley and sage, and some dried oregano. The chicken was so juicy, but didn't carry the flavour of garlic onion or celery. When I took the chicken out of the crockpot, one of the legs just fell off.

Overall though, I can't be bothered to do a whole chicken in there again though. The meat was juicy and tender, but the flavour was pretty "meh".

As for roasts, I usually do it with a bit of beef broth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast