Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Fats page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Basically, eat saturated fats and monounsaturated fats as your main dietary fats. Consume small amounts of omega-3s for heart and brain health, and you do need omega-6 fats, but you're getting enough without worrying about adding sources into your diet.

You might want to read this if you haven't yet done so: The Definitive Guide to Fats | Mark's Daily Apple

Good fats to use for cooking are: Coconut oil, ghee, tallow, lard, and butter.

Good fats to add to salad dressings and uncooked sauces, or on top of already cooked dishes for a splash of flavor are: Olive oil and avocado oil.

Avocado is a great veggie to add for a heathy shot of fats from the monounsaturated family. Add to salads sliced and raw.

You can buy cans of full fat coconut milk and use as a base for meat marinades or as dairy replacements for a great shot of saturated fats that tastes awesome.

But above all, the majority of your fats should be coming from fatty cuts of animal muscle and their organ meats.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-10-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Fat probably has nothing to do with it. Sure you can use fat as a laxative but having a healthy digestion has a lot more to do with a good metabolism and gut health.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Fat probably has nothing to do with it. Sure you can use fat as a laxative but having a healthy digestion has a lot more to do with a good metabolism and gut health.
    Uh what?
    Eating 70% fat has not had a laxative affect on me. My digestion has been perfect since I upped my fat.

Zach is offline Banned
    Awesome for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    It's about gut health, totally. But fats play an important role in gut health. A diet high in healthy fat sources can promote both a healthy metabolism and gut flora.

Some regular consumption of fermented foods in the diet might also be in order here to help things along.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil saturated fat is similar to the one synthesized from sugar. So, yes, it stimulates metabolism. However, throwing excessive fat at everything is just pointless as it does nothing.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Coconut oil saturated fat is similar to the one synthesized from sugar. So, yes, it stimulates metabolism. However, throwing excessive fat at everything is just pointless as it does nothing.
    Well, sure. But it's a far cry from "not enough" to "excessive." There is plenty of room to explore the middle ground to find where you feel best.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    What is excessive?
    I am losing weight and feeling amazing on 70% fat.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    What is excessive?
    I would say 70% is excessive. Excessive fat inhibits utilization of glucose via Randle cycle
    nihil

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    What is excessive?
    Thats great for YOU. 70% is beyond excessive and you are in a tiny minority of people who eat that much fat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast