Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Grass-Fed Beef page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Question Buying Grass-Fed Beef

Shop Now
    I've been looking carefully over the Farms on EatWild.com with the intention of buying Grass-Fed beef. Do any of you buy from a farm on that list or have other experience buying grass-fed? There's quite a lot of variety in the farms. My husband and I have been thinking and talking about which might be best.

Finally, I'm off the antiobiotic and hopefully the infection won't return. This diet has been very successful for me, so I'm ready to get more serious about it. Here in California, San Francisco seems to be the hub of Grass-Fed production. Apparently they eat better than the rest of us. This project does seem pretty pricey. I'd breifly thought about starting a CSA very locally, but I think the cost of water is prohibitive.

What would be a perfect farm? Green grass all year long? No snow. USDA pasture, butchering, or some other agency? Shipping is expensive. But if it's to be shipped, does it matter how local it is? If beef, do any of you buy lamb, pig, chickens, etc?

Please tell me of your experiences. What do I need to know, now that I know nothing.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'm exploring this too. Living in Alaska grass-fed natural meats are prohibitively expensive and is a major challenge for me. I'm trying to supplement with wild salmon and wild game but we don't have enough of that to eat it every day and have to get some meat from grocer.

Crystal River Meats got a major plug from Outside Magazine in the latest issue for their steaks. Grass fed, no hormones, free range, all the good stuff we look for. They also offer pork, lamb and chicken. I'm on their website as we speak considering an order. https://www.crystalrivermeats.com/
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I get my grass fed beef from Buck Run Farm in PA. I get the angusburger and it is mmmh, mmmh good. Buck Run is just 10 miles from my house so I go there to pick-up the goods. They have a beautiful farm. In the winter, cattle are fed silage/hay. No grain finishing, period. Very high quality stuff.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 01-10-2013 at 03:48 PM.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I wouldn't stress about it too much. Primal meat was generally of terrible quality by the time Grok got around to eating it. If there is a local producer with tasty, affordable offerings, of course, go for it.

But I wouldn't feel compelled too hunt it down, so to speak.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm in Santa Barbara. We have two local grass-fed beef operations. They are very different from one another and I think both have value.

1. Rancho San Julian. They eat native grass. Since the native grasses are gone by winter, they are supplemented with oats and hay. The meat I have bought is very tasty. I believe that even though these cattle are not grass-fed completely 100%, the way they manage the resource is very environmentally friendly. They truly care about the product. There is no feedlot involved at all.

2. Dey Dey's Beef. They irrigate grass. They use chickens and beef to manage the grass. The beef is 100% grass-fed. I think that because the irrigate the fields of grass that it's maybe a little less environmentally friendly what they do. Their chicken is outstanding. The beef has a very strong grass-fed flavor and texture.

I buy both because one is allowed to sell at the Saturday farmer's market and the other is allowed to sell at the Sunday farmer's market. Rancho San Julian has super cheap liver and I buy all I can when I can get there. Dey Dey's has rendered beef tallow and I try to get out to get some of that.

I have purchased from US Wellness meats. Their product is outstanding. When you order, you get on their newsletter which is always a pleasure to read on Sundays. I don't buy from them often because I have local product and because I don't know what to do with the styrofoam coolers. Styrofoam is very environmentally unfriendly. Their tallow is great and come in large quantities if you need it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Thanks all. Has anyone purchased from The V6 Ranch or Alhambra Valley Ranch.

More experiences would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I'm exploring this too. Living in Alaska grass-fed natural meats are prohibitively expensive and is a major challenge for me. I'm trying to supplement with wild salmon and wild game but we don't have enough of that to eat it every day and have to get some meat from grocer.

Crystal River Meats got a major plug from Outside Magazine in the latest issue for their steaks. Grass fed, no hormones, free range, all the good stuff we look for. They also offer pork, lamb and chicken. I'm on their website as we speak considering an order. https://www.crystalrivermeats.com/
    eatwild.com lists 3 Grass-fed ranches in Alaska. How about that!

Paleobird Guest
    I just picked up a shipment today of grassfed beef, lamb, and goat. The Primal BBQ is at my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just picked up a shipment today of grassfed beef, lamb, and goat. The Primal BBQ is at my house!
    Where did you buy it from? Please

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I buy most of my grass-fed/pastured stuff from these folks who sell at my local farmer's market on Sundays: Smith Meadows:

They run a very popular blog so that you can know all about what they're currently up to, upcoming farm events, and even when they decide to create a new product. Like three weeks ago, they introduced lard from pastured pigs.

Edit: Hey, the owner of the farm just wrote a book on his experiences working on the farm. Might be a read!

By the by, you know these guys are legit because the infamous Joel Salatin of Polyface farm (yep, had their stuff too, it's great) has been long-time personal friends of the folks at Smith Meadows and according to the lady who works the market booth I frequent, he has even bought meat from them.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast