Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's nice to know that the foods I intuitively liked as a kid are healthy page

QueenOfTheDwarrows is offline Junior Member

It's nice to know that the foods I intuitively liked as a kid are healthy

Shop Now
    As a kid, I always loved and preferred the dark meat on chicken. Even when my mom would take me to McD's, I would cherish the dark meat chicken nuggets (before they switched to all white-meat )

I loved butter, would slather it on and make it drip from my toast/waffles/english muffin

Egg yolks were always my FAVORITE part of the egg. I actually don't even like egg whites.

Coconut was always one of my favorite things.

It's funny how those foods appealed to me, and how it didn't make sense to learn they were ''unhealthy'' as I got older. I'm glad to find that they are healthy, when you get them from the right sources. Gotta love a child's intuition

irishfoxy is offline Member
    I'm with you - I love a piece of cheese as a snack, not so much cookies or chips

I love dark meat on birds, and cuts of meat with the fat still on - absolutely my favorite part.

Yolks! Yum! And butter....
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i used to feel guilty for being unhealthy and would quickly eat chicken skin during dinner so no one would see me do it (i almost typo'd it as sinner DUN DUN DUNNN) and afterward would sneak my mom's off her plate

i was such a bad kid
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I was this backwards kid who LOVED veggies and whose parents had to bargain with her to eat potatoes or rice or whatever starchy side "Just eat 5 bites of coucsous and then you can be done."

I also loved to sneak slivers of butter while my mom was making dinner. She would get so mad that I was going to "ruin my dinner!" (Probably also because I was underfoot in the kitchen and not helping like I should have been.) But I feel totally vindicated now.

Still sneaking butter. Even though I'm slowly converting my boyfriend he gets a bit grossed out when I eat just straight butter, so I only do it when he's not looking. It's so yummy!
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Know what appeals to me intuitively? Ice cream.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    While I did like the dark meat on the chicken, I was all about quark, jams, fruit, veggies, hot cereals, black bread and tubers otherwise. So, not the natural inclinations to be proud of.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I was a kid I did not like McDonald's. The only thing I would eat there was the fish sandwich. I would only eat tacos at Taco Bell because I did not like beans. I did not like hamburgers. I struggled to eat them so much my mother had to invent a special recipe for me she called "pizza burgers". There was so much parmesan cheese, tomato paste and spices I could not taste the meat or feel the horrible hamburger texture. I also did not like potato chips and was not a fan of french fries. Onion rings were okay.

What I did like was ice cream. If I could have eaten nothing but ice cream or milk shakes with peanut butter cookies crumbled into them I would have been completely happy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Intuitively, I always liked fruit, dairy and red meats. Once I started menstruating, liverwurst became my favourite sandwich filling. I'd cut it super thick, pick at it whilst I made the sandwich and sometimes just use one slice of bread. Fat and liver and spices, oh my!

Always liked rare red meats and pates. Fruit was mostly a huge variety of citrus (oranges, tangerines, cumquats, grapefruit... I even ate raw lemons!), sometimes bananas and apples. I'd pick the dried fruit and nuts out of fruit and nut cereal. I liked dairy as a kid, but it HAD to be sweet. Whole milk, sweetened yoghurt and cream. Only gradually got used to my mother's home-fermented sour yoghurt.
    Then again, there was sort of this "switchover" where I went from not liking fermented foods to LOVING them, so it may have just been that. From age 15, I basically loved the taste of fermented goods. Dunno why, didn't like them before.

On the "bad" side, I liked sweetened bran, anything chocolatey and freshly baked bread, slathered in butter.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What I did like was ice cream. If I could have eaten nothing but ice cream or milk shakes with peanut butter cookies crumbled into them I would have been completely happy.
    Sometimes I STILL think that an all ice cream diet would be great. Too bad I'd be massively malnourished and massively fat. A girl can dream though...
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    ... and freshly baked bread, slathered in butter.
    I've been thinking about this for a little while. Maybe our cultural love of bread is because of what we put on it or in it. If you take the toppings off the pizza, or the fillings out of the sandwich, or the melted butter out of the fresh baked bread, or the creamy sauces off the pasta - would we be that keen for bread? (in general - of course there will be the odd person who loves it completely plain)

When I was a kid we used to get breakfast served to us in bed. My mom would bring our favourite breakfast to us on a tray. Mine was tea with a slice of white bread, with thick, thick sweet butter and soft boiled egg yolks all over it.
    And yes to the dark meat, cheese, the fat on the fried pork chops and the skin from the chicken. The salad was only good because of the dressing on it, and the potatoes were only good when loaded with butter and sour cream, or fried to a crisp in fat.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast