Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post pregnancy & not losing any weight page

LisaLS is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Post pregnancy & not losing any weight

Primal Fuel
    Feeling so discouraged right now.

So I had a baby 5 months ago. YAY BABY! lol
    I only gained about 18lbs during my pregnancy. I developed gestational diabetes and ate primal after finding out. Once that was started, I think I only gained maybe 5 lbs and that was all baby.
    After having our daughter, I was back down to pre-pregnancy weight about maybe 2 weeks after.
    Welp, fast forward to now and all of those 18lbs are back due to poor eating.
    That is all my fault for eating the wrong crap, BUT my husband and I are back to eating primal again and I'd pull my hair out of frustration if it wasn't already falling out in clumps on it's own.... thanks post-preg hormones! *grumble*

He has lost 5 lbs so far. My sister-in-law that is following a primal type of diet that started the same time has lost 7lbs (probably more by now).
    Me? I've lost jack-frickin-squat!!!

I do suffer from PCOS AND I'm insulin resistant, AND I know hormones are still jacked from being pregnant, but damn. Come on! The scale has actually gone UP a few times (it does go back down to what it was, but still...)
    Unfortunatly, I'm not one that only needs to lose a few pounds... I need to lose around 60-70.

What gives?
    Don't eat very many nuts (maybe a small palm full of pistachios total in the last week). I have a little bit of dairy, but dairy doesn't bother me. I have maybe a banana every other day. I eat lots of leafy greens, mostly meat. We have sweet potatoes maybe once a week (we're having it twice this week)... etc etc. I'm not eating a lot of carbs, even the good stuff, so I know that's not the problem.

I'm not exercising (yet) b/c I'm just too tired most of the time, but that has never stopped me from losing weight before. (I am planning on starting back up very soon though)

Just feeling so discouraged right now. I didn't have this problem when we first started primal eating. Is it the post-pregnancy hormones still? Is it b/c of my PCOS and b/c I'm not taking metformin any longer (Can't stomach the metformin now. Makes me sick to my stomach).

Anyone have anything like this happen?
    A delayed weight loss and then suddenly you start losing?

Just looking for a ray of hope here.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Sorry, but getting your hormones under control are probably the answer. Have you seen a doctor about regulating them & the PCOS? You should get your hormone levels checked to see what's low/high etc.

Have you tried eating more carbs? Being tired all the time could be from the hormonal issues, but changing the way you eat (just try changing it up every week or so) might make a difference in letting your body/system heal as well.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Heh, I already know why I'm tired. I've always been a crap sleeper before, add a baby in to the mix that has decided that she doesn't want to sttn any longer and only take catnaps during the day.. and I'm perma-tired now.

As for getting my hormones checked. It has been a while. I think the last time anything was checked was when I was still pregnant.
    Think I'm due for my annual exam soon, so I'll ask about all of this then.

Was just hoping to that going primal again would help me lose weight like it did before
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lisa!

Congratulations on your baby! WTG!

What you don't mention is whether or not you are breastfeeding. If you are, then this is likely the 'culprit' to the situation, and it's no big deal. I gained about 25 lbs on my pregnancy (i believe), and DS was 7-8lbs of that, and then there was water (probably another 7-8 lbs), and then the rest was probably fat (10 lbs or so). I figure that's no big deal.

I also figured that because I was committed to breastfeeding and all the press around it says that the "weight just drops right off of you!" that I would loose the weight quickly anyway. I also knew that I was eating well and getting good exercise, and overall, getting good sleep.

Turns out that it's not always like that for women. Sometimes, your body holds onto the fat while breast feeding in order to feed the baby. My guy utilized me for 14 months as his primary nutrition, and then he started to eat food as his primary nutrition (he had food before, bu it wasn't his primary nutrition). It was *then* that the weight just fell off (in 4 weeks!). I quite literally went from large shirts and size 6-8 skirts/pants to Med (bones -- broad shoulders) shirts and size 4 pants.

So, it is the hormones.

And, most doctors don't treat post-pregnancy hormones. they tell you to ride it out, unless your kid is over 2 or something. I talked to my doctor about it, and he laughed and said that this is what it is for some women -- our bodies adapt to being mothers, and it takes a while for the hormones to figure out what to do.

He also pointed out that he feels women trying to loose weight so early are doing a number on themselves (even those who do manage to do it). He didn't just go for "nine months in, nine months out (to loose the weight/etc)" idea, he said "give yourself a good two years before worrying about it. Focus on your baby, eat well, get as much rest as you can, exercise daily (he said 20-30 minute walks outside every day is his primary recommendation -- for mother and baby, baby wearing or in the stroller).

So, you are 5 months out. Don't worry about it too much. Just give it a bit of time, and take care of yourself in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Sorry, but getting your hormones under control are probably the answer. Have you seen a doctor about regulating them & the PCOS? You should get your hormone levels checked to see what's low/high etc.

Have you tried eating more carbs? Being tired all the time could be from the hormonal issues, but changing the way you eat (just try changing it up every week or so) might make a difference in letting your body/system heal as well.
    Typically, doctors don't treat post pregnancy, waiting for the body to figure it out. Unless there was a pre-existing condition (so treatment for PCOS may re-commense).

In terms of tiredness, that's parenting a baby. Waking 1-6 times a night for feedings/changing messes with your sleep cycle. Trying to live your "before baby" day light lifestyle (i tried this!) and take care of a new baby equals not enough rest. Thus, you feel tired all the time.

Around 6 months, DS was much more consistent in his evening sleep and his father and I had figured out a workable sleeping schedule.

DS was sleeping from 8 pm until 1 am. I would go to bed at 9 pm, then do the night feeding/potty. DS would wake again at about 6 am, and I would potty/nurse him and then DH would get him ready for the day while I slept and extra half hour. Then I would drive DH to work, and then DS and I would go for a walk. Then I'd go home and tidy house, make lunch, etc, and after lunch, DS typically had his nap. I would nap with him, then just rest/yoga in the afternoon. I would pick up DH from work and some nights teach yoga (DS would join me). On weekends, Dh would be with DS longer in the mornings, so I got to sleep in! We came up with this because DH was never doing night-times (since he worked a job), and DH naturally got up around when DS did anyway.

It helped a lot in terms of sleep. You have to really work that schedule depending upon your baby. Lots of parents are prepetual zombies and zonked because they don't get enough sleep -- particularly in the new-baby phase. I remembe the first 3 months, I had no idea what day/time it was, what was going on, or whatever. It was just one haze of nursing and potting and sleeping/not sleeping.

Thanks zoebird (BTW, our daughter is named Zoe )
    Your post makes me feel a lot better.
    I was exclusively pumping until a month ago. DD couldn't latch correctly so I pumped instead. Would've gone longer but good lord pumping is TERRIBLE.

Anyway... fingers crossed that my body starts to get with the program soon.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Co-sleeping helps with getting more sleep too No need to get up, and if you do things like ECing like ZB and I did, you can practically do that in your sleep.
    Once you get more sleep things will be better.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Also remember that, when it comes to losing weight, sleep is huge! If you're not sleeping that could also be playing a big role in your inability to lose weight (don't worry, it WILL get better!! It may take some time, but eventually your daughter will start sleeping better at night).

I agree with the others that it can take some time for your body's hormones to settle down, especially if you're breastfeeding, and that you may just need to take it one day at a time. Consistently make the right choices. DO get some exercise (even if it's nothing more than a short walk) and try and get as much sleep as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLS View Post
    Thanks zoebird (BTW, our daughter is named Zoe )
    Your post makes me feel a lot better.
    I was exclusively pumping until a month ago. DD couldn't latch correctly so I pumped instead. Would've gone longer but good lord pumping is TERRIBLE.

Anyway... fingers crossed that my body starts to get with the program soon.
    Pumping is awesome. DS had latch issues too, but thankfully with the help of our lactation consultant, we were able to solve them in a week. I only pumped for about 3-5 weeks (as you know, that time is a haze!), but it was awful even with the hospital grade pump! And the maintenance? cleaning, steaming, etc? Good lord!

Good for you for keeping it up for 4 months! That's a great start for your DD!

I wouldn't worry too much about the number of months at this point. I remember DS having a change in his eating habits when he was 14 months, which is why I talk about "4 weeks later!"

But, to be completely and totally honest, DS was eating food-as-meals less consistently than at 14 months around 11-12 months. As such, it might have actually be 3 or more months before the weight came off. But, you know, all that time was hazy. I remember noticing that he had big diet changes at 14 months, and then being pleasantly surprised when I bought new jeans a month later and they were size 4 (my pre=pregnancy size).

Just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry too much. The sleep makes a huge difference. Since your daughter is still on formula, I would look into whteher that is affecting her sleep cycles. Check ingredients, do an elimination or trial of other brands, etc. It might solve her issues, which would solve your problems.

And remember, you'll get there. It may nto be quick, btu you'll figure it out and it'll all work out.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ZB thanks for the clarification. I forgot about the whole "young baby = not a lot of sleep" bit, haha. It's a bit absurd that doctors are reluctant to treat post-pregnancy bodies. I mean, yes, it may take some time for an individual to bounce back (not the same for everyone), but people could still have something wrong that doesn't right itself! Meh. Doctors. They piss me off.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast