Thread: Lustig interview on new book and specifically "low-carb" ("high fat") diets page

Khainag is offline Member

Lustig interview on new book and specifically "low-carb" ("high fat") diets

Primal Fuel
    640: Dr. Robert Lustig Takes On Big Food With FAT CHANCE | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

Just listening now... I was a bit disappointed by Lustig's new book seeming to promote high-carb/vegetarian diets rather than paleo-style because of the expense mostly when I followed the index to "Paleolithic diets." I am excited to keep reading to hear about his views on fiber and carbs though.

Any others reading "Fat Chance?" More thoughts from me soon.
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

Sandamel is offline Member
    I've ordered a copy and I want to start reading it this week. I too heard the podcast and I think what the Dr. is saying is "let's look at where all the different dietary theories can agree on things, because everyone is different and certain people thrive on different diets".

Yep, I like it too. But I have vegan/vegetarian friends and I do not see them thriving... is such a diet without processed foods really possible? It seems to me that would also be hard and expensive and hard to implement in order to get the high-quality fats, etc. let alone what seem to be the problems with grains and legumes for everybody. Again, can't wait to see if Lustig addresses any of this stuff.
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

Sandamel is offline Member
    You've just identified why I'm no longer vegan

Also, I just ran across this: Dr. Lustig Schools a Dietitian

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandamel View Post
    You've just identified why I'm no longer vegan

Also, I just ran across this: Dr. Lustig Schools a Dietitian
    Haha, I saw that before. All I heard was someone getting irrationally mad over parroted information from someone that clearly doesn't think outside the box. I guess, maybe he felt intimidated.
    nihil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just got through the fiber section, makes sense to me... he doesn't spend much time at all on gut bacteria but seems to value it, as one of his main arguments for having fiber as a source to slow down and move your food further is so that the guys at the lower end get fed! He also isn't saying this is a reason to be vegetarian, noting that lots of vegetables (and fruits) have soluble and insoluble fiber.

My understanding of "FiberMenace," after barely looking at it (the way it's presented really turns me off and says quackery to me, but anyways) is that gut flora is being underemphasized in CW. Which I think seems to be the case. Lustig seems to not be extreme here though either.