Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often to eat? Should I listen to this? page

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member

How often to eat? Should I listen to this?

Primal Fuel
    So I bought a groupon for acupuncture and finally used it.
    Awesome sauce, turns out the guy is paleo (not primal, but they're essentially the same things) so we had some great conversations while he was showing me charts.
    He said that because of blood sugar fluctuation, it makes sense (and our ancestors did this naturally) to not eat much, if anything, in the morning and then have a medium-ish lunch and large dinner. I didn't really follow what he was saying but I am curious about this.
    He said that he was unable to loose weight until he cut out sugar completely (except for natural sugars) and changed the times of day that he eats. I'm wondering if there's actually anything to what he told me?

I've always been a big breakfast person. Being hungry makes me feel really insecure (I've gone hungry before. Like, "there's no food in the house and I have to ration this bread, cheese and jam for the rest of the week and then after that I'm SOL" when I was young. I have had huge problems with food in the past and TPB has helped tremendously, though I still have episodes once in a while.) and a big breakfast helps me feel better. I feel security that I know goes back to those times where there wasn't food security and I can feel a part of me saying "Ok, we've had at least one good meal today. We've eaten...we're ok". Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of psychological problem?

Today I wanted to try this and it would be a perfect day, as I have off and only have things around the house to do...but I got scared, for said reasons above. It was interesting. I was making an omelet and decided to have an avocado with lime juice and salt as well. I ate the avocado first and wasn't really hungry after but ended up also eating the omelet and drinking my bullet proof coffee and now I'm a little over full. I think. I think I would have been ok with coffee and the avocado..maybe an egg as well and then calling it a morning.
    But yeah, I'm not sure what to do with all this.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    every body here does different things with food because we're not cookie cutter cookies

do what works for you
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I lost all my weight eating a big breakfast. It was lunch I skimped on. I don't think it really matters.

There are so many people out there who never liked breakfast who always felt guilty or sickened themselves to eat it. Knowing that you aren't going to hurt yourself without breakfast is very liberating to these people. If you aren't one of them, just file that knowledge away in case one day you start not wanting to eat breakfast anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I lost all my weight eating a big breakfast. It was lunch I skimped on. I don't think it really matters.

There are so many people out there who never liked breakfast who always felt guilty or sickened themselves to eat it. Knowing that you aren't going to hurt yourself without breakfast is very liberating to these people. If you aren't one of them, just file that knowledge away in case one day you start not wanting to eat breakfast anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't sure if there was something to the blood sugar argument or not. It sounded kind of weird to me but I thought I was missing something. Sometimes I like breakfast and sometimes I don't. I usually don't when I've eaten past 4 or 5.
    Oh well. At least the acupuncture itself went great.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    I do agree with your paleo friend, and I like that waiting for dinner means fasted exercise. But I was never inclined to eat breakfast, and I merely went with what felt natural in designing my IF routine. If you really like breakfast there's no reason to give it up, as you can definitely succeed while incorporating it.

But it's interesting that you report eating b-f more out of psychological fear than hunger (seemingly)...it might be worth trying to sort that out. Would it work to stock up on primal food, carrying it with you if need be, and then remind yourself, "it's here, I can have it any time I really need it" as a response to reflexive worries about scarcity? Transfer the "we're OK" signal from "I just ate it" to "It's right there on the shelf", in essence?

When I started LC/PB I used something like that when deciding dinner was over--because in the SAD old days, that's always when I used to just keep right on going, and even with the improved satiety signals, my old mindset often prompted me to continue. So I'd say, "well, this third steak/piece of cheese/handful of almonds isn't going anywhere; I can have it in 10 minutes if I still want it, but I'm not going to right now." And that 10min was almost always enough time to recognize that strange new sensation was actually saying "oh yeah, I'm FULL now."
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

manoseao is offline Junior Member
    It was lunch I skimped on. I don't think it really matters.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I have recently switched to not eating breakfast as part of an experiment and i am doing good. I work a demanding job and it has not affected the job at all. And i always work out before eating lunch and my work outs have not been affected in any negative way as well.

You might feel hungry for a few transition days, but you will not die. You will survive.

Ideally i would eat whenever i feel hungry and stop eating (even if it is middle of a bite!) if i feel full.
    Few but ripe.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people have negative associations with hunger. It is lumped with "deprivation" and "emptiness". What really helps me in this department is *planning* what I'm going to eat next, and knowing that even if I'm hungry, there's something primal and tasty waiting at home for me, and the hunger is only for now.

I try to eat only when I'm hungry. I'm not perfect though

I consider my first solid meal of the day to be "breakfast"...even if its at 11:30am and its leftover meatloaf and roasted cauliflower. I might have a small meal or snack, but usually the next meal is dinner with the family. And then I don't eat again till whenever "breakfast" is.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For all of my adult life I've been a coffee-for-breakfast person .... just not hungry in the mornings. Recently I've been sidelined from exercise so I've cleaned up my eating to compensate, eating pretty much whole30 95 percent of the time. Weirdly, to me, is the side effect of waking up hungry. So, the last few weeks I've had a big pile of sauteed veg in coconut oil or ghee, and a couple of eggs in the morning -- but -- I'm no longer hungry in the middle of the day. So I'm transitioned to breakfast and dinner now because it feels right.

That said ... I eat when I'm hungry enough for a meal. I'm not a snacker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast