Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is/has dealt with the flu this year and tips to adapt page

Who is/has dealt with the flu this year and tips to adapt

Primal Fuel
    The news is saying this is the worst flu season in decades. I came down with it last week, and have to admit that I am pretty surly that my primal eating, exercising ass got it and my cheeto eating, non-exercising boyfriend is f-i-n-e.
    While I am back on the mend, my workouts are still suffering. My energy level is low and strength is only about 75%. Has anyone else gotten through it yet and have any tips for getting better, faster? Of course logic tells me, rest, fluids, allow my body time to heal. But my ego says my biceps are shrinking and I'm losing months of gains.

Shalimar is offline Member
    DH and I got the vaccine. It is about 70% effective, and if a vaccinated person does get flu, it is a milder case. This years shot covers the worse of the flu strains, though not the newer, less prevalent B strain.

Of course that is shutting the barn door after the horse has run away for you. DH swears by oscillococcinum to help with flu symptoms. It didn't have any effect on me. Haven't had the flu in about 7 years.

Hope you feel better soon.

You're doing the right thing. Just give it time. If you push yourself to do too much, you can get bronchitis or pneumonia. A friend of mine did that, and now has to deal with recurring pneumonia.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    My crap eating husband didn't get it when I did either Figures!

Don't push it coming back - you aren't really losing "strength" as in muscle fibers or neurological adaptations - you are just in a weakened state. It'll come back pretty quick. I was down for the count for a week, week 2 I was clearly worse than normal in terms of performance and in that third week I was pretty much back to normal. If you push more than you really should I imagine it might increase the chance of developing bacterial pneumonia which "they" say is the big risk after a viral flu.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    It'll be all those artificial preservatives in junk food!

I've had it and felt just the same....struggled to the gym a couple of times but was rubbish and in hindsight should have not bothered. In the longer run I (as usual) probably made myself worse by not just giving into it and resting.

Two weeks on and I'm still coughing up gunk (sorry TMI) but am otherwise feeling fine. It took a few days of getting back into a routine and starting to exercise again before I felt my energy levels start to increase again.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    There is a huge difference between influenza and the common cold. You probably have the common cold. Influenze has more symptoms:
    - high fever (like 102 or more)
    - chills
    - diarrhea
    - vomiting
    - extreme body aches, like you are praying to god to let you die
    - upper respiratory infection
    - you are sick for at least 2 weeks

Common cold doesn't have the high fever, chills, diarrhea and vomiting and the body aches aren't as bad. It also doesn't last as long.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    how is your Vitamins A D and C intake?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There is a huge difference between influenza and the common cold. You probably have the common cold. Influenze has more symptoms:
    - high fever (like 102 or more)
    - chills
    - diarrhea
    - vomiting
    - extreme body aches, like you are praying to god to let you die
    - upper respiratory infection
    - you are sick for at least 2 weeks

Common cold doesn't have the high fever, chills, diarrhea and vomiting and the body aches aren't as bad. It also doesn't last as long.
    I had all that for 2 days ....then bam back to 100%. Most of what I understand of immunology says that this is a very healthy response. It's a quick and violent house cleaning that kicks up dust and leaves you in a healthier state than before the virus initiated the needed response. There are ways of looking at viruses and microbes that makes a lot more sense than the whole "invaders" point of view.

Some may even argue that those (like your cheetos eating boy friend) who can not or do not initiate this response in conjunction with microbes as often as they should are actually the unhealthy ones.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-10-2013 at 11:10 AM.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
    Ginger in fresh form- before and during a flu is great. I grate it and put a dollop of honey on it and swallow whole, or make tea- it's excellent for breaking up congestion especially in the lungs and is used in Chinese medicine for that purpose.
    Cayenne pepper (high in vitamin C, breaks up congestion)
    NAC (N-Acetyl Cystein) is a great immune booster and also breaks up congestion and is particulary good at warding off the flu
    L-Lysine is a good general anti-viral
    Vitamin D3 daily - I live in Alaska and take 5000IU a day and still don't quite get my serum levels where they ought to be
    Zinc and Selenium either through diet or supplementation
    A multivitamin to make sure you're getting everything you need
    Garlic is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
    And of course, wash your hands often and never touch your eyes or nose with your hands.
    Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 01-10-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Got my D3 blood level up to 80 ng/ ml and haven't been sick in over 3 years. No asthma anymore, either!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If I feel like I am coming down with something, I take 40,000 IUs of D 3 for 2-3 days and it never turns into anything. Try it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast